Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

New amp advice recommendations

I'm in the market for a new amp head (already know what cab I want to get), I primarily play thrash metal, live near London in England, and budget is no matter at the moment as I'm in no hurry for an amp, and can save up as need be. Just looking for a near perfect amp.

In a few hours I'm going to go to a few music shops and test amps, I've been looking at the Marshall JVM410H and Peavey 6505+ heads, but want some ideas for other makes of amps. I know nothing about Blackstar, Engl, Randall, Hughes & Kettner etc. So I need some ideas of what to test.

I'll probably end up buying used as it's cheaper than new stuff, and I've seen good deals for almost half price in the UK sites like eBay and Gumtree. What I want in an amp is a nice tight low end that won't muddy up with my preference of SD JB bridge pickups, having plenty of gain, though doesn't need to be a gain monster as I'd happily use an OD for a boost. Plentiful mids would be great, an FX loop to hold my 10 band EQ and other pedals, and good cleans would be nice, as I've heard some bad things about the 6505+.

Any recommendations on any amp head to fit that bill is what I'm looking for (and if it would require an OD, a recommendation on a good OD for that amp) and ask any more questions as you need.

Cheers!
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
ragingkitty
meow?

Fryette Sig:X , Deliverance or Pitbull

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, it depends on what Thrash you mean.

If you want early Thrash, you can get the exact rig that most of them started with. A Marshall JCM800 on top of a 1960 cab loaded with Celestion G12T-75's (the stock speaker of the 1960 cabs) and then run an overdrive on front of the amp as a boost.

If you're taking more modern Thrash, just about any High-Gain head can pull off Thrash.

If you're more specific on what artists, albums, etc., then I can be more specific. In addition, you need to give us some kind of budget, even if it's just a frame of what you would like to spend. Otherwise, people are just going to come in here and start telling you to buy a Diezel, which will be like $3000. You need to give us some kind of spending limit here.

Personally, I play Thrash/Groove, and I use an Egnater Vengance, which is outstanding. It's a great all-around amp in general, and can do anything from Blues, Country, and some Jazz all the way to Modern Metal. It's pretty dark in terms of voicing, so if you prefer something brighter, the EVH 5150 III would be the other end of the spectrum. The Egnater Armageddon is a bit more expensive than the Vengeance, but it's kinda a half way point between the two. Darker than the 5153, but brighter than the Vengeance.

No matter what amp head you get, I recommend you get a cab loaded with Celestion G12T-75 speakers. They excell at Thrash, and it's what all of the Thrash bands from the 80's started with, and what many of them use now. They have a pretty scooped sound, though, so for more versatility, you can mix them with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers or Celestion G12K-100's.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

2 things:

1. After going to the guitar shop, I tested out a JVM410C (they sold the head version a few weeks back) which was plugged into a Marshall 1960A cab loaded with V30s, I found it way too muddy to my taste, to which the guy in the shop said was probably because I'm used to the sound of a solid state power amp section, even though I don't remember a 6505+ I used at a gig last year to sound quite so muddy at even higher levels than I had the JVM.

I then tried a Blackstar Series One 200 watt head into the same cabinet and found that more to my taste. Much less muddy, however not perfect. Found I still had to turn the Resonance way down, and bass quite far too. I think maybe with a boost/OD acting as boost it would sound really good.

I want to try a Peavey 6505+ head as I have played through before and loved the sound, but no shops have any in stock that I can go and try. I know of a shop with a combo version, how much different is that to the head?

2. In reply to Blktiger0, I'm going for the more modern thrash sound. Somewhere between Savage Messiah, Diamond Plate, Evile and Abadden. Not a wall of gain, however enough to get riffs sound saturated (may be the wrong word, not sure). A budget would be an amp that's 1100 new, but I'm looking to buy used to save me a lot of money, so maybe 750 tops on the used market. That doesn't include cabinet. I want to get a 2x12 1936 cab with G12T-75s which I can find for 200 tops used.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Okay, well then definitely check out the Vengeance and 5153.

Another excellent option at that budget would be an ASG Hybris. That will no doubt get you your saturation.

In fact, that's probably the best option by far.

EDIT: The Vengeance's matching cab is also loaded with G12T-75's, so if you get that and want the matching look, or if you just don't like the look of a Marshall cab, that's another perfectly viable option. The Armageddon's cab has two T75's and two of a custom speaker that Egnater had made just for that cab, so that's an option, too.

You could also just get a custom cab made by Avatar or Whitebox. You can get it to look exactly how you want, get what speakers you want, pick what size you want, and pick the ohms. Both places have excellent build quality.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 02-10-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

Laney GH50/100 $500ish used
Marshall 1960 cab $300ish used
/thread
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Cheers for the recommendations, Vengeance looks sweet, and I've always liked what I've heard of EVH, but assumed even at used would cost too much. Can't find the ASG Hybris being sold anywhere in UK, but the sound demo I heard on YouTube seems very promising! In terms of custom cabs, I had a look at Avatar, and they only seemed to sell to US and Canada, I reckon I'd be better off with a 1936 with G12T-75s second hand money wise, and for the easiness.

Will check out that Laney once I get a chance to as well, cheers for that recommendation.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Laney sounds pretty good on the website Audio samples. Will have to try one out when I get the opportunity. Though the EVH 5150 III sounds pretty damn near perfect from what I've heard of it.

My question would be though, as I know Peavey used to make the 5150 then the amp design moved to the EVH company so they renamed it the 6505, is there any real difference between the 6505+ and the EVH 5150 III 100 watt or 50 watt versions? Was much changed, other than a brand change and addition of another channel?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Laney sounds pretty good on the website Audio samples. Will have to try one out when I get the opportunity. Though the EVH 5150 III sounds pretty damn near perfect from what I've heard of it.

My question would be though, as I know Peavey used to make the 5150 then the amp design moved to the EVH company so they renamed it the 6505, is there any real difference between the 6505+ and the EVH 5150 III 100 watt or 50 watt versions? Was much changed, other than a brand change and addition of another channel?

The 5150 III is a completely new amp design than the 5150/6505 amps of Peavey, they sound completely diffrent
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
The 5150 III is a completely new amp design than the 5150/6505 amps of Peavey, they sound completely diffrent

I'm sure I had seen somewhere they were just a rebranding of sorts, and not too much changed. Nevertheless I'd go by your word and I just need to find somewhere that has them that I can try them both. Pretty much nowhere in 50 mile radius of me has them and I live right near London.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
I'm sure I had seen somewhere they were just a rebranding of sorts, and not too much changed. Nevertheless I'd go by your word and I just need to find somewhere that has them that I can try them both. Pretty much nowhere in 50 mile radius of me has them and I live right near London.

You are thinking of when peavey renamed the 5150 the 6505. now those amps are identical besides the name.

The 5150 name is owned by EVH that bis why Peavey renamed the amps.

The 5150 III is made for EVH by fender, so you have a great clean ch and 2 dirty chanels.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
DeadlyIllness
UG Member

There are a lot of good amps for that. If you want to spent the money, Mesa Boogies are incredible. The chance of having one of them fail from use is improbable.
DeadlyIllness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyIllness
There are a lot of good amps for that. If you want to spent the money, Mesa Boogies are incredible. The chance of having one of them fail from use is improbable.

This is a false statement, I have seen several people have issues with dual rectos in the 1st yr of owning them. Yes Mesa amps are built with high quality components, but they are still suseptable to failure (it just seems to happen less than some others)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Rate This Thread: