Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
karimbaig

Epiphone Les Paul, Standard or Custom?

I have to choose between one. I'm getting both the guitars at the same price new.
The standard is a plus top.
I have heard that the sound is not really different but the gold worns out very quickly.
I'd prefer black over anything when it comes to color
karimbaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

If they're the same price, then the custom...

At least the re sale value will be better.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
karimbaig

thanks sir
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
knifeboy

I have a standard plus top that I bought new in '93. It's my main guitar and I'm still very happy with it.
knifeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

You've heard the sound is not really different?

Have you played them to find out for yourself? That is the only way you can decide which you prefer.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

They are exactly the same guitar, except for the finish. With a Plus Top you are paying extra for the flame maple veneer and with the Custom you're paying extra for the cheap, gold-coloured hardware which will most certainly tarnish and rub off within a couple of months. They're pretty guitars, but there is no reason to buy one over a regular Standard, at least in terms of build quality and sound. If you want a black Les Paul, the regular Standard comes in black and will be cheaper than either the Custom or Plus Top versions.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbaig
I have to choose between one. I'm getting both the guitars at the same price new.
The standard is a plus top.
I have heard that the sound is not really different but the gold worns out very quickly.
I'd prefer black over anything when it comes to color

Get the Tribute Plus !

probably less than a Custom (500 Euro / 600 USD)

Gibson pickups and hardcase included
paruwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
RyanStorm13

The Tux is the best LP that Epiphone makes, and is usually the starting place for Artist Models like Zakk Wylde's, which is upgraded with EMG pickups and fancy finish.

I had my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, Alpine White with Gold Hardware, it looked better than my current Gibson Studio ALP White w/Gold, because the Epi had the bindings and just had classly looks like the real Gibson Custom Shops. I mean the finish on it was amazing, and the gold plated look just made it so fun to play. I loved that guitar, it just had the whole package for import guitar, just like Gibson Custom's have the whole package for USA guitars.

I compared recordings from the two using all the same settings etc, You get a good recording with the Custom Pro and its ProBuckers, its just when you hear the Gibson Studio it has a slightly more brighter tone to it with its 490/498's, but it isn't that much of a difference, and if you add any effects it can make it up. Of course it was a $1400 guitar compared to a $550ish guitar(retail prices of course). Even then, the ProBuckers were sufficent enough for me, I only jumped on the Gibson Studio cause I got it for $1000 out the door.

When it comes down to it, price/performance is unbeatable at the Custom Pro's price.

I guess what I am saying is, the standard is just fine, but if you have the money and really want something that looks better and has little bit better pickups, go for the Custom Pro.

Last edited by RyanStorm13 : 02-13-2013 at 09:17 PM.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
RyanStorm13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paruwi
Get the Tribute Plus !

probably less than a Custom (500 Euro / 600 USD)

Gibson pickups and hardcase included

Well if were talking any Epiphone, right now those Tribute Plus's are unbeatable. I mean 57 Gibson pickups are hott and heavy...and I read the case isn't Great Gibson quality, but still nice.

It also has a better finish: Hard maple cap and AAA flame maple veneer. I mean $50 more dollars for the Tribute Plus compared to the Custom Pro! This is really worth it if you got the money, that finish alone makes up the $50, let alone the pickups which I think go for $160 a piece.

I would love one in a Faded Cherry Burst...this guitar is more near being a real gibson, and doesn't just look like one, like the Custom Pro.

Also right now you get those free EGi cables with a purchase in Feburary, its like a hookup to your iPad. The only problem with this guitar, I haven't seen one in store ever, you would have to order online unless your lucky and have one at your GC.

Last edited by RyanStorm13 : 02-13-2013 at 09:20 PM.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
uziyourillusion
cemetary gates

Skip all that and spend just a hair more and get this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPIPHONE-EL...=item337fed5cd5
uziyourillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by uziyourillusion

I might just buy that before TS does.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
uziyourillusion
cemetary gates

its a friggin steal, if i hadnt just got myself an MIJ Epiphone LQ Custom I'd already have it
Old 02-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #13
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team

Quote:

Just add the price of the Gibson USA pickups

and you still have a 'factory second'

Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
uziyourillusion
cemetary gates

It comes standard with Gibson USA pickups and its B stock because of two tiny dents..gonna get that anyway with any used guitar.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

^That Epi Elitist is by far the best deal you'll find for that price range. In fact I don't think I've seen one quite that cheap before. Hell, it's rare they come up for sale at all, most peopel that get one never want to part with them. Epiphone Elite and Elitist guitars are, for all intents and purposes, Gibson Les Paul Standards but with a poly finish instead of a nitro one.
If you can afford to buy that Elitist then there is absolutely no reason to look twice at anything else.

edit: in fact god damn, if they weren't only shipping within America, I would buy that myself, right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanStorm13
The Tux is the best LP that Epiphone makes,
No it's not. Epiphone's 'Customs' are the same bodies, necks, hardware and electronics as the Standard and Studio models. When it comes to Epiphone, 'Studio' simply means it has no binding, 'Standard' means it has a solid finish and chrome/nickel hardware, 'Custom' means it has a solid finish and gold-coloured hardware and 'Plus'/'Plain'/'Quilt' means it has a transparent finish with a prettier veneer applied over the usual maple; 'Pro' simply denotes the ProBucker pickups and coil split switches.
In terms of objective quality, there is absolutely no difference. The ''best'' LP that Epiphone make or has made are the Elite/Elitist line, which are made in Japan using much, much nicer wood, hardware and electronics. Second to those would be the Korean-made limited editions, which have featured all sorts of aftermarket pickups, hardware, different body construction methods and other upgrades. The production line—which includes the Custom and the Pro variants—are all the same, middle-of-the-road guitars churned out in their thousands.

Now, that is not to say that they can not be good guitars or that you shouldn't enjoy owning one. I've got a Epi Studio sat here that I like just as much as my Korean Epiphones, which in turn I enjoy just as much as my previous Gibson Custom Shop LP. There's nothing wrong with production Epiphones. Just don't go around saying that any of them are in any way better than other models or that there's any kind of hierarchy to them, because there simply isn't. Strip away the paint and they're all the same guitar.

Last edited by MrFlibble : 02-15-2013 at 11:05 AM.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Robbie-G

Quote:

I would go this route to, or just try to find something used in your area. The newer Epiphones in stores are all being pumped out of China. If you look around you can find an older one like the elitist or other epi stuff that is MIK or MIJ which is IMHO going to be higher quality.
Robbie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
Bhaok
The evil old man

If I was shopping for an Epi There are 2 guitars I would look at. The Tribute Plus and the Bonamassa. But, you can buy a Gibson for the money you'd spend on the Epi.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie-G
I would go this route to, or just try to find something used in your area. The newer Epiphones in stores are all being pumped out of China. If you look around you can find an older one like the elitist or other epi stuff that is MIK or MIJ which is IMHO going to be higher quality.

Not all from China,

Indonesia and Korea, too
Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
karimbaig

I live in Pakistan. ebay is not available here
Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Robbie-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by paruwi
Not all from China,

Indonesia and Korea, too

I don't think they're making Epi's there anymore, I could be wrong but I think they are all being made in China now.
Robbie-G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: