Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
dazzzer30

intervals-scales

Just wondering If itís a good idea to learn the major scale now? I know the pentatonic scale but just last week I have been doing interval lessons trying to recognize intervals on the fret board and also by ear , I know you donít need to know the major scale to do intervals but they do run along with the major scale .
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Shor

Errr....
If you know the intervals, you know the scale...
People seem to be confused about scales, thinking that they are a boxed pattern that goes from the first note in the scale to the last you can get to in that box.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
dazzzer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shor
Errr....
If you know the intervals, you know the scale...
People seem to be confused about scales, thinking that they are a boxed pattern that goes from the first note in the scale to the last you can get to in that box.

I know the theory to make intervals and I know the C major scale notes in my head also the pentatonic scale is quite close to the major scale, but I cant work out intervals with a pentatonic scale as some notes are missing , The major scale has all the notes needed so if you where practicing ear training and intervals for example would it be best to learn the major scale and build around this to get use to hearing and seeing all the notes , Well this is what I have concluded .. I know what you mean about the box scales I learnt the pentatonic scale form box patterns ,

Last edited by dazzzer30 : 02-14-2013 at 07:02 AM.
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Shor

Hrm... I don't see how you can't work out the intervals with the pentatonic scale?
Just know that the major pentatonic is missing the perfect 4th and the major 7 and you're good to go.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
blazing riff

I personally think that it's always a good idea to learn and recognize your intervals by ear. It's a good way to get sounds in your head transferred to your instrument for songwriting purpose or if you just want to learn a piece of music without tab, it will get you a long way. That being said it's VERY useful to learn the boxshape too, all of them (Regular, 3note per string etc,...) If you'r improvising you will always now where to go on the fretboard and it will be a big help in the future. That coupled with ear-training and knowing what intervals to play, will make it a lot more easy!

And between the difference of the major or natural minor and pentatonic. I'd suggest learning it because of what the guy above me said: perfect 4th and major 7 are missing in there, so when learning the scale you will learn to recognize the sound of those notes.

Hope this helps!
blazing riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
cdgraves

major scales are pretty much the building block of all music. Definitely worth your time to master.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: