Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

I think Xiaoxi tends to forget there's a certain learning curve to beginning to learn counterpoint and harmony. As in, if you go in blind and just start listening to Bach hoping to magically begin writing flowing counterpoint, you'll be frustrated for a long time. I think there's a certain amount of 'book learning' needed (especially if you're doing it on your own without any guidance) before you can really start digesting the masters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
...no idea why everyone keeps advocating for technology. EastWest libraries are not going to teach you counterpoint or musical development. THESE are the basics, not which goddamn software to use.

Sons, I am disappoint

I'm not advocating using a notation software (although I can make an argument for it), I just find people have these weird notions that somehow it's better to write music by hand than with a computer which I like to dispel.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #22
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
I think Xiaoxi tends to forget we're not Asian.

ftfy
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #23
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

^

i just came in here to say listen to a lot of music and trust your ear. i mean you can learn all the common practice period stuff. and that's cool. it's good to know. but i've forgotten a lot about counterpoint rules. that stuff's good to know i guess. but it's the 21st century. those rules don't really mean shit anymore. if you want to compose, you've probably already got some ideas of things you want to hear. just go with it. it's just music. sure, if you're writing for an orchestra you've got an awfully big palette to work with in terms of nuances and sounds. but just get down in the dirt and do it.

i'm not saying don't learn stuff. you should. but don't feel like you have to know everything there is to music before you start writing it. ultimately, just write the music you want to hear.

Last edited by primusfan : 02-13-2013 at 11:37 PM.
primusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #24
Sloop John D

I found a surprisingly large number of music books at my local library. Just search for books on harmony, browse through them, and pick your favorite.
Sloop John D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

On another note, what about conducting?

How hard is it to learn, do you need lessons or can it be somewhat self taught?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty

it depends, is it your orchestra paid off your money? if so, you need no qualifications and can do whatever the hell you want

if not, well, i wouldn't want some sub-30-year-old kid short of a damn prodigy conducting my professional musicians on my dime
Old 02-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

Surely even if it's your music you still need some kind of knowledge of what you're doing. Because you're conducting ahead of what the musician's are actually playing?

Zappa used to conduct, but he never studied formally. He said he learned everything by reading and listening... But then he didn't do anything 'properly' either.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Surely even if it's your music you still need some kind of knowledge of what you're doing. Because you're conducting ahead of what the musician's are actually playing?

Zappa used to conduct, but he never studied formally. He said he learned everything by reading and listening... But then he didn't do anything 'properly' either.

my point being that you don't have the resources to have anything to conduct so i'd step back and worry about the composition part for now. odds are, your recordings will be almost exclusively done in your DAW via MIDI unless you have a lot of money (you don't) or performance major friends with too much time on their hands (hahahaha)
Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

I figured I'll start off writing some piano sonatas, because that way I can actually play them...

I'd really love to write some stuff for string quartet too. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to write them and arrange them for piano?

I'll get a day job soon and save up for some decent plugins... It just seems silly to buy something really good when I have no idea what I'm doing yet. Or buy cheaper plugins that are rubbish and personally I find it really hard to write anything good when I know the end result will sound like garbage. Like in school when we wrote stuff with MIDI sounds...

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 02-14-2013 at 12:53 PM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:

Good conducting is impossible to learn through self study. You can learn beat patterns and copy how some of the greats cue and things like that, but learning the nuances of conducting isn't really something you can get from a book.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #31
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

Alright, I'll have a think about that one when I'm in my 30s. I might have written something I like by then.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #32
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

Places to start

- Listen to a lot of classical music. Start with Mozart who's well known and followed classical conventions.
- Learn about figured bass, chord inversions and when to use them [e.g. the cadential 6/4 is I [6/4], V7 and then I]. Cadences, common progressions [e.g. I V7 ii V7 I] and the rules of harmony [e.g. no parallel fifths, no doubling thirds, always prepare the bass note for a chord in a 6/4 inversion, leading notes must rise, the 7th in a V7 must fall etc]
- Common conventions such as alberti bass [if you like Mozart's style].
- Forms and structure and how modulations link to them.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #33
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

^That sounds more like steps to pass a theory class than steps to becoming a good composer.

Quote:
Alright, I'll have a think about that one when I'm in my 30s. I might have written something I like by then.

Don't get me wrong, conducting is a great skill to have as a composer and rudimentary conducting is better than no conducting. But if you mean conducting as in being a professional conductor in front of a professional orchestra, then it's not something you can learn on our own.

But like Hail said, take it one step at a time. You're not even technically a composer yet

Last edited by jazz_rock_feel : 02-14-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #34
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, conducting is a great skill to have as a composer and rudimentary conducting is better than no conducting. But if you mean conducting as in being a professional conductor in front of a professional orchestra, then it's not something you can learn on our own.

Hah, trust me I'm not thinking of that.

It's kind of silly, I always wave my arms along to music... I'd like to just understand what a conductor is doing really.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #35
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Hah, trust me I'm not thinking of that.

It's kind of silly, I always wave my arms along to music... I'd like to just understand what a conductor is doing really.

think of it like a sports coach, only he's waving around a big, ugly stick in front of your face all the time

and they use batons, too

most of the time they're doing a play-by-play of the score, queueing entrances/crescendos/timing/etc, but it's quite an intricate art when you get down and dirty with it

most of my exposure is from filling in for drum majors in HS tho so i scooted by on the bare minimum

Last edited by Hail : 02-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
I think Xiaoxi tends to forget there's a certain learning curve to beginning to learn counterpoint and harmony. As in, if you go in blind and just start listening to Bach hoping to magically begin writing flowing counterpoint, you'll be frustrated for a long time. I think there's a certain amount of 'book learning' needed (especially if you're doing it on your own without any guidance) before you can really start digesting the masters.
Guide or no guide, I've yet to personally know of anyone who's good by the books and can write music that doesn't sound like it came out of Chapter 7.

Is there a certain amount of awareness that a book can bring? Yes. But all too often they trap people into a false perception.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #37
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

So I just start writing and hope for the best, then work from there?

Alright, but I need to learn what a sonata is before I can write one.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #38
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
think of it like a sports coach, only he's waving around a big, ugly stick in front of your face all the time

and they use batons, too

most of the time they're doing a play-by-play of the score, queueing entrances/crescendos/timing/etc, but it's quite an intricate art when you get down and dirty with it

most of my exposure is from filling in for drum majors in HS tho so i scooted by on the bare minimum

The primary role of the modern professional conductor is to unify the expression in performance, beyond any mechanical details like cues or dynamics. They have to lock in the entire orchestra on a spiritual, almost psychic level.

And no, Frank Zappa does not even begin to qualify as a conductor.

There are a number of videos on YouTube which has some insights into the art of conducting from Leonard Bernstein, Arturo Toscanini, Carlos Kleiber, Sergiu Celibidache

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 02-14-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #39
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

No, but he did manage to conduct and everyone played in time.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #40
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
The primary role of the modern professional conductor is to unify the expression in performance, beyond any mechanical details like cues or dynamics. They have to lock in the entire orchestra on a spiritual, almost psychic level.

And no, Frank Zappa does not even begin to qualify as a conductor.

idk yellow shark was pretty fuckin cool, dude

Rate This Thread: