Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

First off, I'm not following you on something that's got plenty of lower-mids emphasis, but is bright. Usually lower mids are what give something a dark sound, and upper mids make it sound brighter.

Well, the two Egnater high gainers are both pretty dark (the Vengeance being darker) and have both excellent clean channels and growling gain channels. PLENTY of bass response. The Density knob is basically a lower-mid knob, so you can dial those in to taste. More features than you should need, and my Vengeance cuts through a mix like a champ.

The EVH 5150 III has an excellent clean channel plus a sizziling bright gain channel. More of a bright, upper-mid emphasis. Both the clean channel AND the gain channel are equal in greatness to the Egnaters, but they're just different flavors.

A Peavey 3120 might be something should consider. It's not British voiced at all, but it still sounds up your alley other than that. It's kinda got a setup with the Rhythm/Crunch channels like the 6505, where you really only need the gain level of the crunch channel to get f***ing brutal, with plenty of clarity, but you've got the lead channel, too, to go absolutely over the top with thickness, gain, and crunch. Then, the clean channel is pretty damn good.

Really, I would say the Armageddon is probably the best fit out of these suggestions. I just thought I would throw out some options that are a bit different that what's been discussed.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #22
J_W

I had a tremoverb for years, I miss it. I absolutely loved that amp. If I have a chance to get another one I will without thinking twice.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

ASG Hybris
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
Ippon
Amped

Seriously, you need 3 different amps, at least.

You're welcome.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #25
ikey_

diamond F-4 is coming right in about that range

perhaps add a bit more to the budget and get into Baron amps?
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #26
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux'D
Checking out clips, I love the clean channel but I'm not crazy about the OD. If I could get the L13's clean and the Hot Rod's OD in the same amp...

I think the 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva would be a perfect amp, but it's out of my price range. I wish the regular Shiva had more gain on the OD channel.

If you're that picky (and I don't mean that derogitorily at all, I feel you), then maybe it'd be worth saving up for the 20th Ann? Or maybe just getting someone to build one for you at that point. Hot Rod dirt w/ Lucky cleans?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #27
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

VHT/Fryette?

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #28
dlowe102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Seriously, you need 3 different amps, at least.

You're welcome.

I find a dt 25/50 would be good...check it out it has 4 seperate analog circuits based on a fender/vox/marshal/and mesa. plus you can change each with class a or class b plus make each a pentode or triod. kinda like a custom amp. I like a class a triode mesa or marshal sound. Add a hd500 and it controls the switching of the amp. the amp and hd500 talks to each other turn a knob on the amp it turns down the hd500 yu can have almost an unlimited amount of presets. You can set the hd500 to preamp models and eliminate power section and cab models or use them.I only use the amp preamps and effects and use the tube power section of the amp. sounds killer. way better than just a hd500 running into a normal amp because the tube circuits on the dt change to the amp on the hd500 so you get the right tube feel that matches the amp. hard to describe really
dlowe102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #29
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

the Titan is a SLO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
ASG Hybris

This.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #30
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
ASG Hybris

x1000.

After playing one in person its highest on my GAS list. It chugs and is not dark, brighter than say a 5150. Also very tight, dynamic and responsive. I loved it.

Check out some clips. They won't do it any justice though.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #31
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

I'm really digging the Hybris, cool amp Craig! What's the price point supposed to be on these, and where can you get them? I found ASG's site but nothing is listed in their amp section
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #32
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

It is supposed to be hitting the $1K mark.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #33
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
It is supposed to be hitting the $1K mark.

x2.

Last time I checked it was on the web-site.

I have heard it in person and played it for 20-30 minutes. I fell in love with it.

What are you after again? Voicing wise?

The cleans are sick on the Hybris. Very clean even with high output pickups. You can turn the gain up and get a little bit of dirt on them if you like that route if I remember correctly, but it had to be turned up pretty high(gain for clean). More than enough clean head room for drumming levels.

I played it with both EMGs and Seymour Duncans.

Last edited by R45VT : 02-27-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #34
Perverockstar69

Royal Atlantic

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #35
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
What are you after again? Voicing wise?
See, I'm not really sure. A Marshall voicing with a lower mid emphasis. Or a Soldano voicing. I'm in the midst of changing up my style and I'm drawing a LOT of influence from different genres, so I'm not all that sure myself.

I do know that I don't like uber tight amps, like a 5150. I prefer a little give, the Jet City I had was a hair too loose (if I remember correctly) but I could definitely deal with it.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #36
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
Royal Atlantic

I liked the RA. I played one when I bought my Mark V. Which I just sold.

I made the decision to sell once I heard the Hybris. No joke. After NAMM ended it went on CL and I sold it last night.

I played the Hybris 3 times. The first day a bunch of people were around and I wasn't too comfortable playing in front of people with a loud volume as I am not the best player and I hadn't practiced in some time. I got home from NAMM and fired up the 5150 to compare while it was fresh in my mind and then the Mark V.

Next day I played it early for a good 15 minutes before people walked over to check it out. In a room with poor acoustics and loud ambient noise it cut through like none other. The Randall thrasher could take some notes on that, as it was lost in a crowd of 15 people.

I played it one time again to make sure I wasn't nuts the next day.

Overall nice dynamics and definition. Not a single note will get lost.

I played it with a Mesa 2x12 with V30s. I had a V30 4x12 cab at home for the 5150 so it was a pretty close test.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #37
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Would you consider it a super tight amp? That's one of the issues I had with the Quick Rod, in that it was very tight.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60
Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #38
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
See, I'm not really sure. A Marshall voicing with a lower mid emphasis. Or a Soldano voicing. I'm in the midst of changing up my style and I'm drawing a LOT of influence from different genres, so I'm not all that sure myself.

I do know that I don't like uber tight amps, like a 5150. I prefer a little give, the Jet City I had was a hair too loose (if I remember correctly) but I could definitely deal with it.

It's been a bit since NAMM so I can't remember all the details.

It doesn't sound like a 5150 or anything. I kinda half expected it too. From what I understand it's not based off any amp. Craig compares it too the Brigand, however it was extensively reworked and doesn't sound like any Brigand clips to me. the Brigand sounds nice from all the clips I have heard, however its not for me. Hybris however floats my boat.

I've never played a JC so I can't compare for tightness.

The clips I have heard of the Hybris don't do it justice.

Last edited by R45VT : 02-27-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #39
CECamps
Schematic Junkie

Quote:
I'm really digging the Hybris, cool amp Craig! What's the price point supposed to be on these, and where can you get them? I found ASG's site but nothing is listed in their amp section

Thanks, glad you like what you've heard so far!

It's priced at $999 but there's limited availability on this amp. We had an ordering period open for a bit in January but currently it is not available to order. Ordering will probably open up again in a few months.

The reason why we are doing it this way is that Vijay and I have two other businesses we have to devote time to as well. So the amp becomes available to order for a period of time, and then ordering closes again while orders are fulfilled and we attend to the other things we have to attend to outside of ASG Amps.

To answer your question about tightness, it kind of depends on what you mean exactly. The Hybris has a REALLY tight low end response, but a pretty open distortion character. Palm mutes lend a really tight chug, but hitting unmuted chords results in a pretty saturated distortion sound. The distortion is not what one might consider a "buzzsaw tight" distortion. As I just mentioned, it's pretty open. Low end starts to loosen up as you go beyond noon on the gain knob.

It really does liken itself to the Brigand in some regards (which the circuit is derived from), but differs in that there is a LOT more gain and the low end is uber tight. They both share a brighter, more open character to the distortion though.

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: