Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
llanafreak44
boom tah boom-boom tah

16ths alternate palm muting

Hey guys, any tips/songs that can increase my ability in this? Normal alternate picking is pie, but once my wrist goes down it all goes to hell, especially on A string notes. I've tried lowering string tension (Currently on .11/.10 hybrids), but that made it even worse since there was no give back tension from the string.
Marshall JVM
Peavey 5150
Mesa Rectifier Cab
Marshall 1960B cabinet

http://www.last.fm/user/llanafreak44
llanafreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

i think the worst thing you can do is just forget to relax. it's easier to relax if you imagine that you're simply just moving the pick over the string, as opposed to having to clench up and shove the pick through the string. unless you really feel that the aggression is needed for your sound (which it generally isn't with a decent amount of metal distortion).

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
barbuzim1

check out how you pick. if you pick with your arm or elbow- you are in a problem, the palm muting "cuts off" this part of your hand so you can't use it.
Try anchoring your wrist on the bridge or on one lower string then the one you are picking and practice alternate picking like that for a while, that should do the trick.

If you already using the wrist when you play try to work slowly on a medium/slow tempo solo, but play it with palm mute. make sure that your time is accurate & that all the notes are even & clear.
working on scale patterns with Palm-mute can help as well.
barbuzim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I pick from my fingers so I have no problem picking muted strings. Malmsteen does something like that, try it out.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
llanafreak44
boom tah boom-boom tah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE
i think the worst thing you can do is just forget to relax. it's easier to relax if you imagine that you're simply just moving the pick over the string, as opposed to having to clench up and shove the pick through the string. unless you really feel that the aggression is needed for your sound (which it generally isn't with a decent amount of metal distortion).

I play mostly hardcore punk and metal, so hard picking is pretty necessary to be honest :\.

I'll try my slow scales all palm muted. I've tried the "finger" alternate picking and it just makes my tendonitis flare up, haha.
Marshall JVM
Peavey 5150
Mesa Rectifier Cab
Marshall 1960B cabinet

Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
JMCerium

I would try raining blood by slayer or battery by Metallica, they are triplets at higher speeds and therefore if you can Play those you can speed pick straight 16ths with ease. Or just sit there on the low e string and just practice, that's how I learned.
JMCerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCerium
I would try raining blood by slayer or battery by Metallica, they are triplets at higher speeds and therefore if you can Play those you can speed pick straight 16ths with ease. Or just sit there on the low e string and just practice, that's how I learned.

1 - Not triplets, those are gallops/reverse gallops.
2 - Just naming songs that might work for practice won't help, TS needs to get the technique right and then practice whatever he likes.
3 - Playing galloped songs won't help, the technique is different from what is needed to gallop.

TS: It's almost impossible to know what's going wrong without seeing you, is there any way you can get a video up on youtube?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
fanapathy
B-Tuned

What do you mean alt. palm muting 16ths? Like muting the pedal and the next note(s) being open? Or just tremolo picking 16ths muted

Like said those songs aren't triplets they're gallops which is usually two 16ths and an 8th

It is hard to play things like power chord 16ths alternate muted/open at high tempo

Cheers drink a lot I don't even

Last edited by fanapathy : 02-13-2013 at 08:32 PM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
llanafreak44
boom tah boom-boom tah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
What do you mean alt. palm muting 16ths? Like muting the pedal and the next note(s) being open? Or just tremolo picking 16ths muted

Like said those songs aren't triplets they're gallops which is usually two 16ths and an 8th

It is hard to play things like power chord 16ths alternate muted/open at high tempo

Cheers drink a lot I don't even

Tremolo picked 16ths muted. I'll see if I can put up a video in a bit. Yeah I know, it's difficult but I want to be able to do it, haha.
Marshall JVM
Peavey 5150
Mesa Rectifier Cab
Marshall 1960B cabinet

Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
barbuzim1

the Pick angle is very important as well. if your pick is flat on the string it is very difficult to play fast- try different angles for the pick (check out Paul Gilbert's lesson regarding this) . also you should use as little as possible from the pick, covering most of it with your thumb and just leaving a small tip of the pick to play with.

but still- a video would really help.
barbuzim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by llanafreak44
I play mostly hardcore punk and metal, so hard picking is pretty necessary to be honest :\.

like i was saying, the more distortion you have, the less it matters how hard you pick. i play metal too, so i understand the need for an aggressive sound. but when you have to play hard and fast, be selective about what parts of your hand you channel your aggression to, because aggression equals tension. if you just hold your pick firmly enough, there's no need to tense up your other fingers or the rest of your hand, or even your wrist, because your hand has enough mass to naturally carry the picking motion through with the necessary force. all the string really responds to is how stable the object that is picking it is (i.e. how sturdy your grip on the pick is).

so i guess what i mean with all that crap is, your wrist does not need to be engaged throughout the entire picking motion. it just needs to initiate motion and let the hand naturally follow through.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: