Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-21-2015, 03:16 AM   #1
Avielp

Getting more gain out of a vintage low gain amp

I'm considering buying Blackheart Handsome Devil head+matching cab
According to all reviews and my good friend who is selling it's a great amp.
This would be my first tube amp, and my secomd amp in general.
From what i read about it and saw on youtube, my problem with it would be that it seems like it can only produce low-gain oldschool classic rock tones, while I'm looking for something that can also sound heavier amd more modern like John Petrucci and Guthrie Govan.
Is it possible to get that out of such an amp? How? What pedals etc..
Thank you very much for your time!

Last edited by Avielp : 03-21-2015 at 03:20 AM.
Avielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:29 AM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Your best bet would be to boost the front end. EQ will also be an issue so I'd recommend an MXR 10 band EQ pedal as your main boost and stack it with a Timmy.
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
RSGuitarTuition

You`re probably talking about using a powerful overdrive pedal in conjunction with the amps distortion. Something like a Tube Screamer could work fine

If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can happen through music.
Jimi Hendrix
RSGuitarTuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #4
Avielp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Your best bet would be to boost the front end. EQ will also be an issue so I'd recommend an MXR 10 band EQ pedal as your main boost and stack it with a Timmy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard

1.When you say "front end" you mean the signal before it comes into the amp?
2.I have a Zoom G2 multi-effect pedal with a 3 band eq, would that do the trick?
And another question regarding anything standing between the guitar and the tube amp in the signal chain: wouldn't any such pedal alter the guitar's sound in a way that would render the tube amp's typical desired sound redundant?
3. Doesn't pushing an amp into overdrive (with or without external pedal help)wear-out any components in thr amp?

Last edited by Avielp : 03-21-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Avielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

1. Yes
2. Yes. That would do the job. An MXR 10 band would give you more control though.
No it doesn't. It alters it but not in a bad way
3. No
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

I use a distortion pedal to get high gain out of a low gain amp. The MI Audio Crunch Box works great for me, has a really heavy, tight, Marshall-y sorta tone, even with single coils.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
Fryderyczek
Banned

Wouldn't getting a different amp all together be better than that?
I'm guessing you want nice cleans, so get an amp with nice cleans that has enough gain for your heavier stuff.

If you still want that amp then some powerful OD pedal as mentioned before.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
belleraphon

Setting the amps gain to about half way and then boosting it with a OD thats set to max level with its gain almost dialed to 0 and tone knob to taste is a good start when boosting a amps front for the first time.
Also some amps are noisy with gain on full, so when backing the amps gain down and boosting it with OD to get it up again usually makes for a silent setup.

Correct me if im wrong, this is just how it is in my experience.
belleraphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
Avielp

Also, wouldn't the timmy, or any other distortion pedal for that matter, just produce it's own distortion tone? Or do you mean I should only use it a volume boost and not turn up it's gain?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avielp
Also, wouldn't the timmy, or any other distortion pedal for that matter, just produce it's own distortion tone? Or do you mean I should only use it a volume boost and not turn up it's gain?

Basically 2 ways you can go about it.

Some people want to have no colouration and go for the most transparent od, but a big group of people like the added colouration. It's certainly it's own character.

I'd say one thing is that some OD's used a boost tend to cut lows, but again this for many guitar players is irrelevant due to other instruments in the mix filling it up, or even desired to cut through.

Some OD's are both used on their own, and as boost, and I feel u should treat that as 2 different beasts.

Just try out different od's with low gain, high volume and wiggle the tone if needed.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]

Last edited by xxdarrenxx : 03-21-2015 at 12:15 PM.
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
Wouldn't getting a different amp all together be better than that?
I'm guessing you want nice cleans, so get an amp with nice cleans that has enough gain for your heavier stuff.

If you still want that amp then some powerful OD pedal as mentioned before.

+1

Maybe even a distortion pedal. and then goose it with a boost up front.

But yeah if you're going in knowing you want to play the kind of high gain tones which are normally (mainly) amp-generated, get a high gain amp.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
monwobobbo

i think you can get what you want out of that amp with a good overdrive but.... as mentioned if you need cleans as well that is a 1 channel amp so that could be an issue. i'd slap a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive in front and that wil give you the gain you want. don't expect to nail those guys tones though.

getting an actual high gain amp would be a better answer but that amp could work if you don't ecpect to much from it.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
Avielp

1.I'm not sure I understand why not having a second channel prevent me from alternating between good clean tone and high gain tone, given that I have some kind of booster\overdrive pedal to turn on\off?
2.Also, are the "level" and "drive" knobs the equivalent of "input volume" and "master volume" in other amps? I mean, will I be able to control both the preamp valve's gain and the power valve's gain independantly?
Old 03-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #14
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avielp
1.I'm not sure I understand why not having a second channel prevent me from alternating between good clean tone and high gain tone, given that I have some kind of booster\overdrive pedal to turn on\off?
2.Also, are the "level" and "drive" knobs the equivalent of "input volume" and "master volume" in other amps? I mean, will I be able to control both the preamp valve's gain and the power valve's gain independantly?

level / drive are volume / master volume yes. as for the other thing it depends on how you do i. with an overdrive you would be boosting an alreadydistorted amp so no clean sound. if you get a distortion pedal then yes you can just tiurn it off for a clean sound.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah. when we say "use an od as a boost" we mean using it to boost the amp when it's already distorted. so you can't kick between clean and really distorted. you can roll the guitar's volume down for cleans but that doesn't always sound as good (though some players prefer it).

Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #16
Avielp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ yeah. when we say "use an od as a boost" we mean using it to boost the amp when it's already distorted. so you can't kick between clean and really distorted. you can roll the guitar's volume down for cleans but that doesn't always sound as good (though some players prefer it).

I understand now. Thank you all very much for your time and insight!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no worries

Old 03-23-2015, 01:52 AM   #18
Fryderyczek
Banned

I know I'm late a bit but for a quality distortion pedal look for an Amptweaker Tightmetal. Great stuff.
Wish it wasn't so expensive in Poland.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: