Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Basic steps:

1.) Consider your content, the evaluation process and your readers.
2.) Create your content in a UG Thread, Article or Blog.
3.) Get your content approved.
4.) Get your content Hot Linked.

For now: Please submit your thread/article/blog to 311ZOSOVHJH, gumbilicious or ragingkitty. We will take it from there.

For those reviewing, please remember that these are the categories to rate on 1 -10

a.) Subject Matter Handling (#)

b.) Article Structure & Flow (#)

c.) Independence (#)

d.) Accuracy (#)

e.) Language (#)

f.) Content & Clarity (#)

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 03-09-2013 at 08:53 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 AM   #22
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

aren't you gonna expalin teh catz process?
but thanks 311-great thread

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Last edited by randomguy2000 : 03-13-2013 at 04:53 PM.
randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Basic steps:

1.) Consider your content, the evaluation process and your readers.
2.) Create your content in a UG Thread, Article or Blog.
3.) Get your content approved.
4.) Get your content Hot Linked.

For now: Please submit your thread/article/blog to 311ZOSOVHJH, gumbilicious or ragingkitty. We will take it from there.

i am submitting this thread for evaluation

Princliple of Sound
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590957

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ Looks really good gumbilicious.

At first I thought it was going to be over my head but you did a really good job of explaining things. I'm going to submit this to Arby911 and ragingkitty for review but from what I can see this will be a great addition. I look forward to more good stuff from you.

^^ Thanks

Here is my review:

a.) Subject Matter Handling 10

b.) Article Structure & Flow 9

c.) Independence 9

d.) Accuracy 9

e.) Language 8

f.) Content & Clarity 8

Overall rating of 8.8. I recommend to RC

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 03-09-2013 at 05:10 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #25
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:

At first I thought it was going to be over my head but you did a really good job of explaining things. I'm going to submit this to Arby911 and ragingkitty for review but from what I can see this will be a great addition. I look forward to more good stuff from you.

^^ Thanks

it'll probably get revised with more graphics later. i find the graphics do quite a bit to help you form the concept in your head.

good to hear it's approachable. i was trying to include much of stuff you get from sound engineering books without it being too dry and esoteric.

-ae
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i had a quick skim of that and it looks good, gumbi, but i think that might be over my head... not much point in my checking it, in other words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:

^^ Thanks

Review Follows:

a.) Subject Matter Handling

8. Subject matter is handled competently, with appropriate level of detail and citation.

b.) Article Structure & Flow

8. Article flows well, with rational breakpoints and continuity.

c.) Independence

9. Article is largely free of bias, relying on facts to support the salient points.

d.) Accuracy

10. No errors noted.

e.) Language

9. Language was sufficiently technical without being overwhelming.

f.) Content & Clarity

9. Article is free from technical error and unambiguous.

Overall rating of 8.83, recommended for inclusion.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #28
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ Thanks Arby. I agree with your ratings and I believe Phil Starr and others have now reviewed it as well. Thanks for your review.

I will add this into the RC soon. Thanks again gumbilicious! It is well written.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #29
gumbilicious
beginner

Moving Forward

Official RC QUEUE: This post is for tracking submitted content and it's approval.

INBOX

R45VT: Amp Troubleshooting
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590946

Phil Starr: The Ultimate Live Sound Thread
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...07&page=1&pp=20

-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 03-25-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
R45VT: Amp Troubleshooting
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590946

a.) Subject Matter Handling: 8

the thread addresses troubleshooting an amplifier (more particularly a tube amplifier) and breaks down different areas of troubleshooting.

even though the areas are broken down in logical ways the subject matter was presented a bit ham handedly. subsequent revision of the material as actually groomed it nicely, including a Table of Contents to quickly see the subjects covered.

videos and pictures are included of typical audio anomalies used to troubleshoot and additional material is presented for further research.

i could see more content being added later, but i think there is more than enough content to consider the thread for inclusion.

i could still see a little more additional labeling to help clearly mark each section as being helpful

b.) Article Structure & Flow: 7

the flow of the article isn't incredibly fluid, but content is thorough, example material is well presented and content is divided into sections.

some verbal templating and additional internal labeling would help polish the piece

c.) Independence: 9

the author is reporting the news with clear effort of trying to present as many symptoms to malfunctions as possible.

d.) Accuracy: 10

many symptoms are referenced with video and audio, extra links help verify info in article. i'd like a more techy amp guy to weigh in, but this all seems like very accurate information

e.) Language: 7.5

the language is very knowledgeable without being unnecessarily technical. i didn't feel like a new player who knows nothing about amps wouldn't be able to get the gist of the thread. it conveys in the content plainly.

there is room to smooth out some of the language. certain phrases are repeated often, and certain sections can seem a bit awkward. nothing that obscures the content or the underlining message though. just a little classic grammar school red pencil and high school paper editor crap.

f.) Content & Clarity: 8.5

i like how short and sweet everything is presented. bulleted checklist style with simple one or two sentence explanations and possibly some video or a pic to help reinforce the concept.

you can actually scan through the thread quite quickly, which is nice when you are trying to troubleshoot your amp. the pic and video links also help you keep your mind on the task and not hunting down more content to find examples. smart layout and useful for troubleshooting.

Overall Rating: 8.3

Recommended for inclusion.

-ae
Old 03-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
ragingkitty
meow?

Hi guys, back. Managed to get time for actual work rather than forum browsing. I had a read of the articles and the rating system as people are using it. Is there any feedback on the choice of attributes? Is 6 too many? If so based on the comments I see posted, we can skim it down further to 3 if that makes life easier for everyone:

1. Subject (Subject matter handling, accuracy, independence)
2. Structure & Flow
3. Clarity (Language & content)

Also, I can take on vetting work now.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #32
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ Hey Kitty

I think the 6 we have now works well. We are already well adjusted. If you feel vetting, please take a look at R45VTs troubleshooting thread that gumbi posted and rated 2 posts up. Thanks, and good to see you again.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #33
ragingkitty
meow?

Hey man good to be back. Will have a look at the article and post my comments by the week's end.

( )( )
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #34
ragingkitty
meow?

Hey ya'all,

Following up with my post-evaluation evaluation of Gumbi's Principle of Sound knowledge base

Disclaimer: No hard feelings intended in this review, Gumbi, I tend to get too brutally honest sometimes, so don't take my comments and ratings too harshly.

Executive Summary
The article is well written, but a little technical. There are some areas where the content is fairly easy to read and follow, but at the same time, there are areas where concepts are introduced but not delved into.

I'd say that its a great first article, but it needs more attention to the content, especially in introducing concepts and providing layman explanation. The use of everyday examples are very helpful in explaining concepts.

Overall, I think the article brings a lot to the table, but with sudden introduction to concepts without dedicated section introduces a feeling of suddenness and abruptness to the article. Right now, this feels more like a lecture. There's a whole lotta content, but no opportunity to get full clarity on it, unless one hounds the professor after the class.

Princliple of Sound
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590957

a.) Subject Matter Handling: 6
Overall, the subject matter is well handled. The article dives right into key concepts necessary for a thorough understanding, but falls a little short of providing thorough explanations that is accessible.

The main issue is that the article is not always accessible to all readers, and quite a bit of brain power is necessary to understand the content. This is where it falls short. The article handles the subject matter very well IF one has some basic understanding of how basic concepts impacts the sound.

For example, an short, but dedicated section on pitch and overtone would have been great to ease readers in, rather than to introduce the concept suddenly.

b.) Article Structure & Flow 7
The OVERALL structure is simple and clear. The train of thought is easy to follow.

However, as mentioned above, I get a feeling of abruptness, with concepts being sudden introduced, which breaks the flow of reading the article.

Quite a few times, as the author starts a new train of thought, it is rather sudden.

Things which can be done to improve is to start each new train of thought with a simple introduction on the topic being covered (e.g. start of waveform), and as the topic is closed, an conclusion to wrap up the section. That way, the audience will know what is being covered, how this relates to a sound principle, and what this means for the reader.

c.) Independence N/A

Can't see any area where there are normative statements or content that is disputable.

d.) Accuracy N/A

No comment. I don't think I'm sufficiently qualified in the sciences to judge accuracy. For crying out loud, I once managed to convince someone that "colors" don't really exist and is all in the mind.

e.) Language 6.5

A little technically inclined. With a complex topic, I personally think that it can be made more lay man, or at least when introducing concepts, simpler language could be used.

f.) Content & Clarity 7

This ties to the subject matter, flow and language. The clarity of content suffers a little here because the topic isn't simple to begin with, and the flow of the content, the language used bogs the clarity down a little.

( )( )

Last edited by ragingkitty : 03-30-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #35
ragingkitty
meow?

trying to review the Ultimate Live Sound thread by Phil Starr

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...07&page=1&pp=20

And one thing that should be mandatory is a content page... there' so much information, a content page will be helpful in setting a overview and general flow to the thread.

On a separate note!

I was just reading a thread about a second amp, and a few topics I think would be helpful is:

1. How to buy a used guitar / amp / effect - AKA. what do I check when buying used, so that I don't get screwed over.

2. Buying another piece of gear - Things to consider before raiding the piggy bank.

( )( )

Last edited by ragingkitty : 03-30-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ agreed- unless it's a very short thread, a contents page is very useful. also agreed on those other 2 ideas for info threads.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #37
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ agreed- unless it's a very short thread, a contents page is very useful. also agreed on those other 2 ideas for info threads.

Actually, I personally have lots of experience sinking money into new gear for the sake of new gear. So I think I'll start that thread on things to consider before buying a new piece of gear. Anyone else think its also a good thread to have?

However, it'll bea thread focused on comsiderations and the decision making process for,a new piece of gear, with little or limited focus on technical comparison of gear.

( )( )

Last edited by ragingkitty : 03-30-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #38
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

same here

we could just tell them to go to tgp to observe and then do the opposite of what they do?

Quote:

Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #39
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
same here

we could just tell them to go to tgp to observe and then do the opposite of what they do?

Nah I was planning on it being a 4 point thread.

1. Go to TGP
2. Set up a vs thread
3. ???
4. Profitz!!!

Ok please review the thread above.

Lulz.

J/k

( )( )

Last edited by ragingkitty : 03-31-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #40
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

Rate This Thread: