Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Tab Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Vlade-b

Led Zeppelin prohibited?

Hi,

can somebody explain to me why I can't view any Led Zeppelin tabs?

It says "This tablature has been made unavailable in your country at the request
of the rights owner."

I would understand if it's the case with only a few of them. But none of them (and there's quite a lot of their tabs) are available in my country.

I live in Austria. People here appreciate Jimmy and his mates too.

Can someone explain this to me?
Vlade-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

This is so common I don't now why Ultimate Guitar doesn't explain it when it comes up from a search.

The person who owns the rights doesn't want you to learn the song from a tab. They probably think it's plagiarism, like illegal sheet music. Whatever reason, you can't view their tabs on this site and it sucks.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Bronto-JR

I hate all this BS copyright things.
I'm from France, and I couldnt download the tab for Rebel Yell, from Billy Idol.

Since, like you, it's been removed for our countries.

I cannot understand how a tab, made by UG's members, can be copyrighted by some white-collar [insert insult here].

Anyway, use a proxy from another country to download it. I found one that worked, i let you search google to do it. I fear that giving the link here would lead to censure, with all the copyright war going crazy around the world...
Bronto-JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Vlade-b

Thanks for the info.

I will try to use the other proxy. But still it doesn't make sense to me, because considering only Stairway to heaven for example, there are about 30-40 different versions out there and each one is unavailable.

But what the hell, I guess whining won't be of any help. I have a friend who could teach me stairway (his interpretation is almost flawless), but I wanna know Kashmir too, and Whole Lotta Love, and especially How many more times.

I mean it's not like someone is being harmed by people learning a specific song on maybe even another continent. It's not like Robert Plant is gonna knock on my door and say:"I saw your performance of this song on Youtube, **** Jimmy Page, you're my new guitarist!"

Last edited by Vlade-b : 02-14-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Vlade-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Maniacoustic
Guitarist/Hobbyist

It's unfortunate how paranoid the Led Zep's are about their music and copyrights. Unfortunate mainly because their music is so awesome. I just bought their Mothership tab book and I'm satisfied for now. Although you can't use the book with Guitar Pro... But the weirdest thing is that a tab which is prohibited in one country can be obtained freely in other country. And a tab which is blocked in one website can be found available in other one. Sense, where are you?

Last edited by Maniacoustic : 02-14-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Maniacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
amx360

amx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

I'd just like to point out that it's highly unlikely that it's the bandmembers themselves who are blocking these tabs. More likely the publishing company or record label.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Akherousia

Quote:
Originally Posted by amx360

There's a bit of a difference between free tablature online and published tablature.. wouldn't really call that hypocritical.
Akherousia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Volcz
The Vox Dude

I know a way around viewing tabs if you get an error message 'not available in your country'.

All you have to do is put the URL of the tab into an online proxy. For example:

http://www.hidemyass.com/

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Volcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
amx360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akherousia
There's a bit of a difference between free tablature online and published tablature.. wouldn't really call that hypocritical.

I'm referring to Zep's "borrowing others artists lyrics" and then blocking others from doing it.
Hypocrite : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Here's the list:

(uncredited cover means they stole it. Flame on!)

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby ****" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
American Psycho is offline Reply With Quote
amx360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Maniacoustic
Guitarist/Hobbyist

"Hey Hey What Can I Do"
"Good Artists Borrow, Great Artists Steal"

But yeah. I guess a few tabs wouldn't be too much to ask.

Another thing that bugs me is their refusal to give rights to any music game such as Guitar Hero, Rockband or Rocksmith. And why is this? Because they don't want to give out the master tracks... Seriously. What are they afraid of? Plagiarism?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
MrEddyKempSir

I'm from England and it didn't even work. You'd think that the owner could at least make it available to Jimmy and co.'s fellow countrymen.
MrEddyKempSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
nelliewilson

It is what it is. The tabs are online. They simply can't be shared because of the record companies and their team of over-paid lawyers. But with some time and research there is a good possibility you can get them. Try Led Zeppelin forums. Forums are a great way to get in touch with people that have common interests.

Now, I recommend that you save every single tab that you find useful from every artist you like. On average, tabs are only about 4kb in size so for every gigabyte of space on your harddrive can store over 262,000 tabs.

Every tab I've ever posted online I also have stored on my harddrive and online with cloud storage (Google Drive, Dropbox).
nelliewilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: