Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
stoneyfromoz

Hi Guys Looking For A New Guitar -ESP for metal price range infinite

Hey guys i've visited this site since i was 14 and thought i'd finally sign up and ask oppinion on what guitar to buy, i own a gibson sg robot and a line 6 spider valve mk2 212 amp and really want an esp to crank out some fast paced metalcore on i've been looking at the horizons, the alexi laiho signatures and fr-7's but can't make a decision any feedback will be acknowledged as good feedback and i don't really want to spend more than 4 grand cheers guys
stoneyfromoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato

Well if you get any ESP really you won't be let down, the craftsmanship on them is immaculate.

StrykVladzimsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #3
its_minchew

4 grand? That might get you into custom shop range..
its_minchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
stoneyfromoz

a couple more questions are the emg's or seymour duncans better pickups for metal i've been playing axe for a while but when it comes to the technical side i'm rather stuck. currently looking at the alexi laiho pinksawtooth with an emg hz-h2
Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
stoneyfromoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_minchew
4 grand? That might get you into custom shop range..

yeah man i want a sweet axe i wasn't sure about filling out a custom form or not as i do have some pretty specific wants also i live in australia don't know about shipping fees.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Unless you have a specific guitar in mind that costs that much, you should probably go custom. It is my understanding there ARE some pretty good luthiers and wood suppliers in Australia, you know. Gecko, Ormsby...there are others.

Gecko might be outside your price range, as might a full custom Ormsby, but Ormsby's standard models are well within your budget.

Ormsby
http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/standardseries.html

Best of all, you're supporting the local craftsmen while getting a dream guitar.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-12-2013 at 04:03 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

suhr? modern carve tops are the secks. (i will shut up and buy one someday).

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
griffin888

I was beat to it, but seriously, call John and get a Modern decked out. Amazing guitars. I haven't owned or played anything better.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Bonsaischaap
Intriguingly opinionated

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
suhr? modern carve tops are the secks. (i will shut up and buy one someday).

You should and so should Stoneyfromoz: they're amazing guitars
Old 02-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
romeozdistress

maybe a new amp first.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Robbgnarly

PRS CU24
Suhr
Jackson Soloist
EBMM JP6
Mayones

ESP is nice, but when you have the budget you have why settle for a good guitar, get a great guitar.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The others have it right, if you've got that much money to blow then I'd suggest you just go for a custom build, everything made to your spec. A custom ESP for four grand might be a little tight, depending on what you want on it, but private luthiers, companies like Carvin and even the Fender Custom Shop will make something to your spec within that price range.

As far as ESPs go, all of their top line are equal in quality; there is no objective reason to buy one particular model over another. What it comes down to is what features you want. ESP make a guitar to suit anything, but nobody can point you in the right direction if you don't tell us what things you need. For example, so far you've mentioned a single-pickup V, a super-Strat and a 7-string. That's a random mix.

Think about (and answer) the following:
  1. How many strings do you want? 6, 7, 8?
  2. What sort of bridge do you need? Fixed bridge or a Floyd Rose?
  3. What scale length do you want? 24.75" and 25.5" are normal for 6-strings, while 25.5" or 27" are normal for 7- and 8-string guitars.
  4. How many frets do you need? 22, 24, 27?
  5. Do you want a bright and modern tone, a warm and classic tone, or something in the middle?
  6. Do you only want one pickup? Do you want two, or three?
  7. Do you prefer the sound of active pickups or passives?
  8. Any particular body style or colour you like?

ESP (and many other brands) make every combination of everything, but if we don't know what it is you want then we can't point you towards the right guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
maybe a new amp first.
OP's amp is fine if all they want to play is metal and they're happy enough with their current sound. I'm not saying it's the greatest amp money can buy, but there's no pressing need to change it. ESPs and Line 6 Spider Valves happen to be the recording and touring amps of choice for two of my favourite metal bands
Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
spadeswyld

Save some money and buy and EDWARDS ALEXI?
spadeswyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
spadeswyld

Thumbs up

EDWARDS

Last edited by spadeswyld : 02-12-2013 at 05:41 PM.
spadeswyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
solidrane
Wekk Blka

Price Range: Infinite?

Custom shop esp's start at about $5000-$8000-ish (don't quote me on that) and the price rises as you go into detail in specs or if you demand some crazy shit.

"What was the craziest guitar anyone ever wanted built?

We've worked on so many crazy products in our 38-year history. It's really hard to say which one was the craziest. We did a two string bass, a guitar with 100 frets, triple - neck guitars, and guitars with even four and five necks. We've done guitars with two necks on the left and right side of the body. But sometimes those crazy customs would bring us innovative ideas. But if you insist that I tell you, I would say the craziest custom was the one we built for a Japanese actor/artist, which had hundreds of diamonds built into it. In total, the cost was $200,000."

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inte...ting_force.html
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #16
SlenderMan`

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
maybe a new amp first.

THIS

trust me dude you can buy a wicked metal amp in Australia for like $1500, which leaves 2500 to get an ESP or similar metal axe.

Dont do what a friend did and buy an excellent guitar when you have a average amp because you won't get the best out of a guitar. Any extra money you spend on the axe will be useless.

EG you could buy maybe an Egnater Vengence from the states (they have a voltage switch to our aussie power level of 240v) for like $1400 and then a new ESP Eclipse, V or M series for like 2k-2.5k. Or vice versa get a used Mesa or ENGL for 202.5k and a second hand esp for 1.2-1.7k.

PS my friend bought a Gibson Les Paul Traditional for retail ($3500 AUD which is like 3900 USD) and the only amp he had was the one that came with his Squire, the SP10

TLDR: old rambling UG veteran
SlenderMan` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #17
Dellinger1988
UG's only Krank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlenderMan`
THIS

trust me dude you can buy a wicked metal amp in Australia for like $1500, which leaves 2500 to get an ESP or similar metal axe.

Dont do what a friend did and buy an excellent guitar when you have a average amp because you won't get the best out of a guitar. Any extra money you spend on the axe will be useless.

EG you could buy maybe an Egnater Vengence from the states (they have a voltage switch to our aussie power level of 240v) for like $1400 and then a new ESP Eclipse, V or M series for like 2k-2.5k. Or vice versa get a used Mesa or ENGL for 202.5k and a second hand esp for 1.2-1.7k.

PS my friend bought a Gibson Les Paul Traditional for retail ($3500 AUD which is like 3900 USD) and the only amp he had was the one that came with his Squire, the SP10

TLDR: old rambling UG veteran

+1
Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #18
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

again this is all opinion. but say its a ESP build for $8000, how is that better than two, or a Suhr and a PRS 513. or hell even a Suhr and a Gibson Les Paul Custom. or go with a suhr and get some uber expensive amp (diesel comes to mine here). or a J-Custom (supposedly less than $2k, but most i see are around the $2k mark)

i don't see justifying a $8000 on a guitar that would be a specialized version of whats out there. is a different color? a different scale? a custom inlays? etc.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 02-13-2013 at 04:00 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #19
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Forget ESP man, Mayones is where today's quality at. And that for the same price (standard models) or less (custom master builds) than ESP's.

@trashedlostfdup: The online quotes can't be further of the truth. An ESP CS with the same body shape of a standard model but with different woods/electronics or other minor modifications will set you back about 4k.
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl

Last edited by LP_CL : 02-13-2013 at 04:44 AM.
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #20
griffin888

I'd do obscene things for a Regius Gothic 7 string...
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: