Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #81
Eastwinn
UG ex-Addict
 
Eastwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Not even worth my time


will, you've leveled up
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #82
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
I disagree, not on the point that 'nobody knows', that would be a given, but if that's true then surely that is the conclusion. And if that is the conclusion then we can conclude that agnosticism is correct.

Ten points to Gryffindor Slacker
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #83
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...
 
Woffelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Land of Chocolate
OP's Facebook friend is crazy/trolling.
__________________
Your beliefs are only valid when they correspond with my own.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #84
WildthingJR
UGs Sociolinguist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Noviomagus
Not this discussion again

I once had a likewise discussion with a super-christian girl who was spewing hypocritical bullshit about muslems and atheists. Never again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplozive
You sir are a dick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
And then again, Wildthang, "You're probably NOT one of them clean Socialists, either"

Wat.
WildthingJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #85
DonGlover
UG's Tom Servo
 
DonGlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Satellite of Love, Somewhere in Time and Space
My question is: Why do you have him on Facebook if he seems to be the opposite of a friend?
__________________
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I'm the wind, baby!


▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DonGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #86
TooktheAtrain
Banned
 
TooktheAtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by anvil is god
The lying part is obvious.
He is a twat because he went out of his way to attack a mans personal beliefs. He could have just ignored it



Nope, misinformation (as the christian guy's post contained) has to be challenged otherwise impressionable people will be misinformed.

When you post something on the internet, you are opening yourself to criticism. That's the ****ing point, isn't it?

If the ****nut quoted in the OP didn't want his views criticised, he should have kept them to himself. Instead, he paraded his ignorance and got (justly) criticised for it.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #87
Crofty89
I came here to rock
 
Crofty89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Behind you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morallygray
First of all, I am a Christian, and this dude is ****ing crazy, or he's trolling.

There is so much wrong with this story, in the kid's argument and the teacher's.

Your argument was weak.

Evolution has neither been proven or unproven, there is no hard evidence either way. Its just an educated guess. Obviously species can adapt to their environment, there is plenty of evidence showing that. Just look at dog breeding for example. However there is no proof that organisms can evolve outside of their genus. You can't breed a dog to become a cat, or a monkey to become a human. Yeah of course I believe in the possibility of evolution, but many people disregard the fact that it is just a theory.

Everyone is entitled to have their own beliefs.


And we're also entitled to point out how much you missed the point of science. It is not "dogs breeding to become cats" or even "monkeys breeding to become humans". It is the organisms that are best adapted to their environment surviving to breed and pass on the traits that allow them to survive long enough to reproduce. Over time (between tens of thousands and millions of years), the descendants may have changed sufficiently to be a different species from their ancestors. That's how humans and monkeys evolved from a common ancestor (contrary to what you think about evolution, humans didn't evolve from monkeys). At some point, a group of these ancient primates were in an environment where walking upright, not climbing trees and and omnivorous diet gave them better chances of survival, so those with a more upright posture were the ones who survived and reproduced in each generation, over thousands of years leading to changes in body structure until all of this group walked upright, by which time they were genetically sufficiently different from their primate ancestors that they were a separate species. Through thousands of these changes, these creatures became Austrilopithacus, Homo Habilus, etc and eventually Homo Sapiens. (OK I've simplified it a bit but you get the gist). Don't believe me? Go look at all the genetic data from modern humans and primates, and preserved DNA in fossils, all of which conclusively points to a common ancestor and evolution over millions of years. Or go and look at all the evidence of microbial evolution, since scientists have actually observed bacterial and fungal evolution as it happens and created new microbial species.

Once you've done that, go and apologise to your science teachers for being such a crap student. And never, EVER say "It's only a theory" again. A scientific theory is something that has been rigorously tested and fits with all of the current data, so is for all intents and purposes fact. A hypothesis is an idea that has not been tested yet. If I had my way, saying "It's only a theory" would be punishable by using the offender as a test subject to disprove the theory of gravity, by dropping them off a cliff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV334
Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Crofty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #88
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
^

That topic has been done TO DEATH on UG. Do us all a favor and just PM him.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #89
ErikLensherr
Bram Sockmann ©
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
By the way, that student was EINSTEIN.


lol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
When yer ready to take the leap with yer mouth-probe and direct it under her robe, ya ALWAYS gotta give the round brown mound a bit of them sweet tongue pounds cause I tell ya, her moans will be the only sound BOO-YA
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #90
sage76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Send him videos of Christopher Hitchens' debates. That should really set him off.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
sage76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #91
Xiaoxi
Indeed.
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bodymore, Murdaland
TS, you just need to go over to his house and split a spiff

__________________
"Man, modes 'n' scales ain't got no users, only abusers." - X.X. Little

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #92
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton
 
necrosis1193's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Moon
The friend is stupid for trying to be profound on Bookface.

You're stupid for thinking you can have a rational discussion on Bookface.

So yeah, you're all pretty stupid. In fact,

__________________
Hey you! Yes, you! Buy my music! It's cool and stuff!

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 4-2
2014 Pick 'Em: 58-32-1
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #93
Amuro Jay
goddess
 
Amuro Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ra Cailum Battleship
hey hey hey guess what that story about einstein was fake and was made up in the 90s
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #94
eGraham
Green and Submarine
 
eGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
hey hey hey guess what that story about einstein was fake and was made up in the 90s

Theory of relativity?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.




October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #95
Amuro Jay
goddess
 
Amuro Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ra Cailum Battleship
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
Theory of relativity?
no einstein made that one up he wasn't alive in the 90s

the story about the student trying to prove god existed

fake and gay
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #96
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15


Debating when one's opinion has no impact on your own and it can reasonably be assumed that the person has very little knowledge that would be of use to you or could potentially influence you is pretty much a waste of time and conflict for the sake of conflict.

What about when your knowledge can be of use to the other guy? It's a two way thing y'know. And respectful debate isn't 'conflict', it's a refined competition in which both parties have a shared agreement not to take anything personaly. If you or your opposition lose it during a debate and start insulting the other person then you're not taking part in the true spirit of debating.

I mean, reading the text that the TS supplied, the debate seemed to start off in a perfectly respectable manner, the religious student and the professor were speaking respectfully to each other, the religious student even continued to call his opponent 'sir', but as soon as the TS gave his opinion the religious student lost it and started insulting the TS and ranting about how angry the TS's difference of opinion had made him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjarnedeGraaf
Yeah but I don't think agnosticism is a religion all together. it just means you accept you don't know whats out there, which I don't know either.
So I guess im an agnostic person, but they just call it that way, because people had to name it SOMETHING. That to me, doens't make it a religion. I don't practice it, I just live my life and people call me an agnostic person because that's the box you are placed in when you say: "god? I don't know and i dont give a f*ck". Either that or they confuse it with being an atheist.


You're right, it isn't a religion, and I never claimed that it was either, but even though it's not considered as a religion, it's still considered to be a 'belief system', just like theism and atheism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
No, you can conclude that agnosticism is the most rational response, but not that it's 'correct'.


So you're stating that it is possible to 'know' for definate if God exists or not? You've found irrefutable evidence that either proves or disproves God's existence? Because that's the only way that you can claim that agnosticism isn't 'correct'.
In a nutshell, it is impossible to prove one way or the other that God either exists or doesn't exist, and if something can't be proven to exist or not then nobody can claim to 'know' if it exists or not , and considering that agnosticism states that it's impossible to 'know' if God exists or not, then agnosticism must be correct because without proof one way or the other then it obviously is impossible to know if God exists or not.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 02-15-2013 at 07:59 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #97
Thrashtastic15
panthers season tickets
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Club Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
What about when your knowledge can be of use to the other guy? It's a two way thing y'know. And respectful debate isn't 'conflict', it's a refined competition in which both parties have a shared agreement not to take anything personaly. If you or your opposition lose it during a debate and start insulting the other person then you're not taking part in the true spirit of debating.

I mean, reading the text that the TS supplied, the debate seemed to start off in a perfectly respectable manner, the religious student and the professor were speaking respectfully to each other, the religious student even continued to call his opponent 'sir', but as soon as the TS gave his opinion the religious student lost it and started insulting the TS and ranting about how angry the TS's difference of opinion had made him

Yeah, it's a two way thing. If the person isn't interested in what you have to say and you don't have anything to gain from the situation, it makes no sense to go on about it really. I don't care about what you or others perceive to be the "true spirit of debating" or any nonsense like that. You're just trying to illogically demonize mindsets that aren't your own without any legitimate backing that isn't just subjective drivel. Don't want to waste my time on this again so I'm out. See how that works?
__________________
████ Barkov Huberdeau Ekblad ████

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
2 - 2 - 0
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #98
TooktheAtrain
Banned
 
TooktheAtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
^^yeah except when TS first posted, he had no idea whether that would be welcome or not.

I don't think anyone needs to 'demonize' the type of mind that resorts to violent threats after facing a challenge, their actions and words demonstrate their lack of humanity or any form of dignity quite well enough.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #99
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
 
Tempoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: On an Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
think you need to chill out, try smoking more mate.

hey do people in toronto say mate? weird
Tempoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #100
Thrashtastic15
panthers season tickets
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Club Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
hey do people in toronto say mate? weird

don't really notice things like that, probably not that much though. It's in my vocabulary but I come from a family w/ pretty strong british roots so there are some remnants. Suppose that's one of them eh?
__________________
████ Barkov Huberdeau Ekblad ████

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
2 - 2 - 0
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.