Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
RedJamaX

Need a decent inexpensive Neck Humbucker (4-wire)

I am rebuilding a strat copy made by AXL and I want to be able to split the coils on all pickups (H-S-H). Currently I have a JB for the bridge, duckbucker for the mid, and 59' for the neck. The JB and 59' are both full sized with chrome covers that I recently pulled from my LTD EC400. The JB is 4-wire, but the 59' is not and I really do not want to spend another $85 if I can find something else that's comparable.

Any suggestions for a pickup that I can get with; a chrome cover; 4-wire option; $40 or less; and will compliment the JB and Duckbucker?

Thanks in advance.
RedJamaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
sonofgkex

Here's some advice. DONT SKIMP ON PICKUPS JUST TO GET COIL TAPS. Seriously, man anything that is less than $40 is going to be very hard to find with a chrome cover already attached.

That said, DiMarzios are probably the most affordable pup that is still worth a crap, and their webpage is really nice too. You will incur another 15 bucks or so for the cover on any pickup you find. DiMarzio will give you 4-wire setups too. They can be bought off of say, Sweetwater.com, for 60-80 bucks, but if you insist on the cover you will have to get direct from dimarzio and will get that 15 extra charge.

Yeah, I looked around for something like what you described, and to get what you want for 50 bucks it would basically have to be stolen.
sonofgkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
sonofgkex

Okay, since I'm nice I found you something. I have no idea what these sound like, but they are '59 imitations. I DO NOT KNOW WETHER THESE ARE TRASH OR NOT, but they are chrome covered neck humbuckers with 4-wire

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage...ker-_c_169.html

I may be an asshole, but I am a helpful asshole.

BTW you should just keep the duncan 59 in it and turn down instead of coil tapping. but if you must coil tap, there you go for 37.95
dont blame me if they suck

Last edited by sonofgkex : 05-08-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
JustRooster
Organ Donor

If you buy a $40 neck humbucker, odds are it's going to sound like a $40 neck humbucker. Just save up, man. Don't settle.

Also, Coil Tapping sucks. Just use the volume knob like professional guitarists do.

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 05-08-2013 at 02:26 AM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
sonofgkex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
If you buy a $40 neck humbucker, odds are it's going to sound like a $40 neck humbucker. Just save up, man. Don't settle.

Also, Coil Tapping sucks. Just use the volume knob like professional guitarists do.

I totally agree with this guy, I'm just more of an enabler.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:

+1 its not worth buying a new neck pickup just because you want to coil tap the neck. have you ever played a guitar with coil taps? they really aren't that great, at least in my opinion.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
RedJamaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
+1 its not worth buying a new neck pickup just because you want to coil tap the neck. have you ever played a guitar with coil taps? they really aren't that great, at least in my opinion.

While I do agree with "most" points everybody has made... I probably should have included some extra information for this post...

- Yes, I have used coil taps, still use them, and I like the effect
- This is for a project guitar that I am building for the sole purpose of having a very dynamic range of tones. Each pickup with have it's own three-way switch set for Off, Split, and Full Humbucker mode.
- I was looking for people who had actually had some experience with less expensive pups... I have found several myself, but reviews are hard to come by.

That said, has anybody ever heard of Vanson? They are out of UK, look pretty cool and are in the price range I am looking for.

link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vanson-...=item19d5508ee5

Last edited by RedJamaX : 05-08-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
I K0nijn I

Sell the '59 and buy a new '59 with 4-wire? Or straight up trade them with someone who's willing to.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
RedJamaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by I K0nijn I
Sell the '59 and buy a new '59 with 4-wire? Or straight up trade them with someone who's willing to.

Yeah, this is actually my fall back plan if there really isn't anything else decent out there...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
I K0nijn I

I'd pick that as plan A, to be honest. It'll sound better than whatever you can get for <$40.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJamaX
While I do agree with "most" points everybody has made... I probably should have included some extra information for this post...

- Yes, I have used coil taps, still use them, and I like the effect
- This is for a project guitar that I am building for the sole purpose of having a very dynamic range of tones. Each pickup with have it's own three-way switch set for Off, Split, and Full Humbucker mode.
- I was looking for people who had actually had some experience with less expensive pups... I have found several myself, but reviews are hard to come by.

That said, has anybody ever heard of Vanson? They are out of UK, look pretty cool and are in the price range I am looking for.

link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vanson-...=item19d5508ee5

None of that will make a cheap humbucker not sound like shit.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
sonofgkex

Quote:
None of that will make a cheap humbucker not sound like shit.

Word
Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
RedJamaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G

Most helpful reply EVER!!!

thanks W4RP1G