User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanStorm13
My GC likes to recommend the Acoustic Bass Amp, but thats if your wanting to play guitar on it also.

Actually the Acoustic is a good choice period. Affordable transparent amp that works for gigging, and won't kill a beginning bassist budget.

We are blessed as bass players that our choices are many and innovative. I can bet that if you were to poll the forum you'd find a wide range of choices. I started out on a Kustom (which I still love their amps, btw), owned a GK and Ampeg combo amps and now settled on a Eden head with a 2 x 10 for gigging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
willop

OK, narrowing this down a bit - thanks!

What's the difference in sound/tone/volume between a 1x15 and 2x10?
I can't tell much if any diff via the BP355 on my single 8" speaker.

one GC nearby has a used peavey TNT115, ($225) or a new Peavey Max 115 II is $300. Not locally available but GC lists many used acoustic 450's (2x10) for ($330). All seem to get decent reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanStorm13
My GC likes to recommend the Acoustic Bass Amp, but thats if your wanting to play guitar on it also.

Sounds like a plus - more versatility as my son plays guitar (as do a few of his friends).
willop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
Phil Starr

This is only about the power you need but probably worth a read. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...ng_it_loud.html

I'd always look for used Peavey gear for a beginner. It sounds better than you will at first, it doesn't break very easily and you'll get back what you paid for it when you have a clearer idea of your sound. Ideally look to see it has Black Widow speakers in which are Peavey's better ones.

However you could still listen and have a lot of fun, start going to see bands that are at about the level you hope to be in a few years time, not fully pro acts but people who still work and who are on your budget. If someone has a knockout sound then talk to them and find out how it is done. I've just come across the term 'Gear Stalker' That's me and most other bass players.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: