Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
JimiZeppelin4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Looking to upgrade my Les Paul Special II

I mostly play blues, classic rock, and alternative. My price range is within $400-600. I was looking at other guitars such as a few Strats but I just love the overall feel and tone of a Les Paul so I'm going to stick with that. I also tried an Epiphone Limited Edition Riviera Custom P93 and I thought it was awesome. Some other guitars I was looking at are:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard $399
Epiphone Les Paul Custom PRO $549
Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Studio Deluxe $399
Epiphone Limited Edition 1956 Les Paul Gold Top $499 (EDIT: Not so sure about this one)

Obviously I don't have the money for a solid Gibson so I was wondering if these would be great upgrades. Also, If there are other similar guitars out there, please recommend some. Thanks.

Last edited by JimiZeppelin4 : 02-14-2013 at 09:08 PM.
JimiZeppelin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Soccerguy
Bloo
 
Soccerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Is there any reason you're only listing Epiphones? I, along with many others, would suggest checking out some Agiles.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss6.html
Start from the bottomish of that page and have a peek through to see if anything catches your fancy.
Soccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
You can get Gibson LP studios for $500ish+ if you go used
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
noisewall11
Registered User
 
noisewall11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I feel like you get the most bang for your buck if you go with any of the pro models, you just can't beat them with all the tonal capabilty at that price range. The custom pros i've tried were pretty nice, but have you ever checked out the traditional pro?? They aren't quite as flashy looking as the customs, but the matte(?) finish on the back of the traditionals make up for it if you ask me.. much more comfortable and way faster than the gloss necks on the customs, and it costs less.
noisewall11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
JimiZeppelin4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Thanks for your advice guys. I'm gonna go to GC and try them out this weekend.
JimiZeppelin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
SteveHOC
Used Register
 
SteveHOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
You should play around on some SG's, the faded models run around $400-450 used in my area (Dallas, TX). It's not that there's anything at all wrong with the guitars you have listed, but you can probably snag a great guitar on the used market with a $600 top-end.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
JimiZeppelin4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
You should play around on some SG's, the faded models run around $400-450 used in my area (Dallas, TX). It's not that there's anything at all wrong with the guitars you have listed, but you can probably snag a great guitar on the used market with a $600 top-end.


Yeah a long time ago I was looking at a lot of SGs. I'll definitely check some out again.
JimiZeppelin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
uziyourillusion
cemetary gates
 
uziyourillusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Also keep an eye out for used Epi elitist les pauls. Made in Japan with USA hardware, long neck tenon, african mahogany woods, grover tuners, bone nut....all big impovements over a made in china or korea Epiphone,Agile, or even the Gibson studios.
There's one on eBay now for $650. That's a lot of guitar for that price, specs not far off from a historic Gibson.
__________________
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Got no religion, don't need no friends
Got all I want and I don't need to pretend
Don't try to reach me, 'cause I'd tear up your mind
I've seen the future and I've left it behind

Last edited by uziyourillusion : 02-15-2013 at 01:44 AM.
uziyourillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
dmbb1239
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
honestly the epiphone customs are my favorite guitars in that price range, ive owned several and they are sturdy as hell with a great tone, and easy playing neck
dmbb1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
Maximus_2005
Registered User
 
Maximus_2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
You can get Gibson LP studios for $500ish+ if you go used

+1
__________________
Quote:
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
JimiZeppelin4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
If I decide to go with a Les Paul, I'm narrowing it down to a New Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro or a used Gibson Les Paul Studio. Which one would be worth buying? The Custom is 549.99 while the Studio is ranging from 499-699.
JimiZeppelin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
The Gibson obviously, unless you just want something that looks pretty.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
progdude93
Banned
 
progdude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Yeah, go used. If you can get the Elitist, go for it. Gibson discontinued them because they were competing with their higher-end models (and winning!).
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by progdude93
Yeah, go used. If you can get the Elitist, go for it. Gibson discontinued them because they were competing with their higher-end models (and winning!).

This is false. Epiphone Elitist are good guitars, but they were discontinued because of lack of sales in the USA. They were $1000+ new and you can buy a gibson(a nice Gibson) for that. So that ment competing with them-selfs.
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
progdude93
Banned
 
progdude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
This is false. Epiphone Elitist are good guitars, but they were discontinued because of lack of sales in the USA. They were $1000+ new and you can buy a gibson(a nice Gibson) for that. So that ment competing with them-selfs.


Uh, the Elitists far outstripped Gibson Studio models (at least the ones I've seen). Which diminished the brand value of the Gibson name.
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by progdude93
Uh, the Elitists far outstripped Gibson Studio models (at least the ones I've seen). Which diminished the brand value of the Gibson name.

I never said they were not good guitars at all, they are very nice guitars. But Gibson is going to sell (and did sell) many more guitars at the same price point than the Elitest models. And the fact that many people are going to be (and were) reluctant to Buy a $1000+ Epiphone when you can get a Gibson for the same price. So Gibson stoped all but the Casino Elitist model (I'm not sure if they are producing them this year and the Casino is the only one that sold well)
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
progdude93
Banned
 
progdude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I'm not arguing with your point. I'm saying that Elitists were as good as many Gibson models, and that fact ruins the Gibson reputation. Kind of life Squiers being better than Fenders. If they were, they'd be discontinued, because they're supposed to be budget Fenders.

I see how my post could lead you to think I meant in terms of sales, but I was speaking in terms of quality.
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by progdude93
I'm not arguing with your point. I'm saying that Elitists were as good as many Gibson models, and that fact ruins the Gibson reputation. Kind of life Squiers being better than Fenders. If they were, they'd be discontinued, because they're supposed to be budget Fenders.

I see how my post could lead you to think I meant in terms of sales, but I was speaking in terms of quality.

Even in Quality the Elitist are no better than Gibson. You will get a nicer looking guitar (quilt/flame top) than a Gibson at the same price, but quality wise I'd say it's about even. Most people here know that Japanese made guitars are as good as most USA made high-end guitars now a days.
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
progdude93
Banned
 
progdude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I have a few MIJ guitars.... And like I said before, every Studio I've played has been patently inferior to Elitists I've played. Granted, I've only played two Elitists, so maybe my sample is off, but I doubt it, from what I've heard.
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
JimiZeppelin4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
So the Gibson it is then? lol

EDIT: I see that the Studios vary in price. What's the difference between a worn Cherry finish for $699 and an Ebony finish for $1099? It also changes based on chrome or gold hardware.

Last edited by JimiZeppelin4 : 02-15-2013 at 05:14 PM.
JimiZeppelin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.