Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
drewd33

Looping Pedal Tips for newbie

Hi guys,

Been playing about a year now, but not too experienced in things such as guitar gear. I have a distortion pedal, thats it. I want a looping pedal though and was looking for advice. Ive done research, but wanted to know what you guys think is the best looping set up for someone like me- who messes around in my room, not playing live or recording (unless i want to play it back for myself). Basically looking to just lay down rhythm and throw licks and runs over the top.

-want something cheap, easy, but functional.

Thanks guys
drewd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
WeZ-84

Although it's not quite as cheap as some of the alternatives, the Line 6 JM4 may be a good option for a bedroom player - as well as providing the looper functions there's loads of stuff to mess around with.

There's a number of built in backing tracks - there's a quite a few built in to jam along with and you can change the key and tempo of them too.

Also there's lots of effect built in too.

If that's all more than you want / need, check out the Boss loopers (RC-30 / RC3 / RC2)
Or the Digitech Jamman pedals.
WeZ-84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
drewd33

Thank you I appreciate it. During my research, I saw some of the cheaper pedals (rc2, jam man, ect) had some complaints about the function of clicking the pedal how many times you had to click the pedal to start/stop recording and such. Are there any out there that are easy to use for laying rhythm and then pausing and starting again using only foot press? Apologize if thats a dumb question, again im a newbie. Thanks again
Old 02-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

I'm not too sure about when it comes out but the tc electronic ditto could be a good one, it's a basic one button loop and you can later all you want, but it's not out yet so there aren't any reviews of it.
I have an akai head rush that I'd recommend though, it has two buttons one to record and one to play back and like 30 seconds I loop time, and you could also use it as a delay
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Check out my soundcloud - Cold Things Never Catch Fire
jesus=dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

If you need to pause and then restart I don't believe a one button looper like the Ditto will work. The Jamman is a good option because you can add the 3 button footswitch later for more functions. The Zoom multifx (G5, G3X, G3) have loopers (60/40/40 sec) with synchronized drum machine. You can pause and restart, but if you use the drum machine you have to manually restart on the beat.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

Oh yea, I didn't see the second post. In that case I'll further my suggestion to look into a headrush, with the footswitches you can pause, play from the beginning, and remove the layering so your back to your original loop
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
drewd33

Thanks guys. Another question, any good ones out there that you can record, then play over top and record that next layer also-- thus merging the two layers into one, giving the opportunity to play on top of that one easily. Make sense?

Edit-- basically the question is, can you generally record and playback and then record on top of that with ease? Do pedals have limits on how many layers you can record on top?

Last edited by drewd33 : 02-19-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

Most can layer, I don't know any that can't, and there isn't really a limit on number of loops just a time limit that they can record
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
blything09

I've just recently got the Boss RC-20XL and I'd highly recommend it, its very simple and easy to use once you get the hang of it and probably alot easier to use compared to the RC-2/RC-3. I'd suggest that or the Digitech Jam man but loopers aren't cheap, even second hand.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
blything09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by blything09
I've just recently got the Boss RC-20XL and I'd highly recommend it, its very simple and easy to use once you get the hang of it and probably alot easier to use compared to the RC-2/RC-3. I'd suggest that or the Digitech Jam man but loopers aren't cheap, even second hand.

ehh depends on what you call cheap, i got my akai for 120 and thats not bad since it was brand new and also has a delay/tape echo. Its more pricey than simple boss pedals but compared to other things they arent too bad for basic ones.
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
If you need to pause and then restart I don't believe a one button looper like the Ditto will work. The Jamman is a good option because you can add the 3 button footswitch later for more functions. The Zoom multifx (G5, G3X, G3) have loopers (60/40/40 sec) with synchronized drum machine. You can pause and restart, but if you use the drum machine you have to manually restart on the beat.

you can stop and start the ditto. and you can undo one layer.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
drewd33

with the RC-2, can you start, stop and resume a recording? Or do you need the additional footswitch?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
you can stop and start the ditto. and you can undo one layer.
Yep, you're probably right. I looked that their state machine diagrams on the TC web site and didn't see a transition from stop to play. But since you have to hold to clear the loop that suggests that pressing the switch will transition from stop to play.

I think the Ditto is awesome and would probably pick one up if I didn't have so many loopers (both multifx and dedicated) already.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Avoid the rc2 like the plauge. That drum machine was the bane of my existed, I get they were tight on space but whom ever had the idea to place the loop and drum volume on the same dual pot should be given a nice pair of concrete shoes and take a relaxing swim in the river.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
The Neighbor of the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blything09

the RC-20XL and RC-2 suck compared to Digitech loopers and the new Boss models. It only has 11 save slots and it's devoid of a numeric counter. You have to count the flashes from a single LED for info on the next loop in the Q - not practical while you are playing. It's OK only for practicing leads and working stuff like that out, but if you want to do verse-chorus-verse stuff, get one with a proper readout and more save slots - like the Boss RC-3 or Digitechs offerings.

Last edited by 667 : 02-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #16
Lukey67

I agree with those who found the small Boss looper machine to be difficult to stop and start. And after reading the last message, I'm glad that some one else paid more for the RC-20XL in the on line biding! It appears that Digitech or Jamman or Akai are probably better options for the budget player like me!
Lukey67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: