Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Airfish

Best TS/OD for boosting HT Dual?

Hi!
I recently bought a Blackstar HT Dual pedal, tube driven, with a Sovtek 12AX7 in there. Sounds really good to me, but from time to time it would need a slight gain boost on the input.... I tried to boost it with the onboard TS of the Ibanez TSA 15 combo. That combination worked well, but Im not keeping the combo, Im about to return it (didnt like other stuff about it). As far as I know, that combo had the circuits of the TS9, but Im not 100% sure....
So what TS/OD pedal could work with that HT Dual? To give it a little boost and tighten the sound up a bit...
Thanx in advance for your views.
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
gerraguitar

............a ts9
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraguitar
............a ts9

....the basic one or the DX?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I'mnot really sure why you're boosting a pedal, but if you want a simple, tubescreamer-type boost, the DigiTech Bad Monkey can be had for about $30 used, and it has more tone options than a TS9. Many UG'ers prefer it to most other boosts.

Other notable TS-style boosts would be the Way Huge Green Rhino and Maxon OD808
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
jjbarnes
You read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I'mnot really sure why you're boosting a pedal, but if you want a simple, tubescreamer-type boost, the DigiTech Bad Monkey can be had for about $30 used, and it has more tone options than a TS9. Many UG'ers prefer it to most other boosts.

Other notable TS-style boosts would be the Way Huge Green Rhino and Maxon OD808

For the same reason people buy super clean amps that sound like shit overdriven and then boost into a fulldrive.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
jjbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, boosting a tube amp and boosting a tube pedal are not the same thing, but I've never tried to boost the Blackstar Pedals, so I guess it could work

It just seems silly to me. I can understand getting an amp that you need to boost for your tone, but getting a pedal for your amp and then needing to boost the pedal that's running into the amp? It sounds to me like you would be better off just getting a new amp that actually does what you want.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Ibanez TS9 or 808. The 9 will give you more bite the 808 will warm it up a bit but still tighten things up a bit.

Maxon Od9 and Od808 are the same thing they are just voiced slightly different. Next to each other you can tell but the guy in back wont care.

Blktiger0 mentioned the green rhino and thats another awesome overdrive. Gives you more flexability. The Bad monkey is good but a lil dry IMHO never been my fav. I bought it because of the name and it looked cool on my board plus it was $15.

I love my TS9 i cant live without it. Just try different ones. Toneking does some neat demos (yeah he's not a good player but his demos get the point across)
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburritt1
Ibanez TS9 or 808. The 9 will give you more bite the 808 will warm it up a bit but still tighten things up a bit.

Maxon Od9 and Od808 are the same thing they are just voiced slightly different. Next to each other you can tell but the guy in back wont care.

Blktiger0 mentioned the green rhino and thats another awesome overdrive. Gives you more flexability. The Bad monkey is good but a lil dry IMHO never been my fav. I bought it because of the name and it looked cool on my board plus it was $15.

I love my TS9 i cant live without it. Just try different ones. Toneking does some neat demos (yeah he's not a good player but his demos get the point across)

Well, so if you say the TS9 gives it more bite than the 808, does it also mean, that it tightens it up better? I dont have a chance to compare both, so I need to find out as much as possible from folks who have.... and you know, the price tag hangin on each of these is a lot different....
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
jjbarnes
You read these?

The 9 is like half the price of an 808, a third if you jump for the handwired reissue.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbarnes
The 9 is like half the price of an 808, a third if you jump for the handwired reissue.

yep, I know the price difference... but I have to make sure the 808 is just too expensive and not too good as well... I mean for boosting, not its own sound....
Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Boosting the pedal itself isn't what I'd do. If you're getting a new amp anyway, I'd simply make sure you buy something which has more gain to begin with, then use the HT-Dual as the boost. Putting a boost into a pedal then into an amp is a roundabout way to do things and is really more the realm of 80s pop, la Prince.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

THE PRINCE!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah didnt see the new amp part. HT Dual would be a great boost pedal on its own

I was just refering if the dual was your main distortion and you wanted to boost it then a TS would be the way to go.
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
Airfish

Quote:
THE PRINCE!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah didnt see the new amp part. HT Dual would be a great boost pedal on its own

I was just refering if the dual was your main distortion and you wanted to boost it then a TS would be the way to go.

Correct, the HT Dual is supposed to be my main distortion....
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish
Correct, the HT Dual is supposed to be my main distortion....

Than what i'd do if you can is take your Dual to a local guitar store and Demo Any overdrives in your price range. Thats what i did and i landed on the TS9. It was just the right amount of volume (most are gonna be smilar) and transparency. Plus its not a huge tone sucker either to my ears.

Some prefer 808 over the 9 but again its personal. Your not doing the wrong thing by going with like an OCD or BadMonkey its whaever you think works best with YOUR pedal.
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Airfish

Quote:
Than what i'd do if you can is take your Dual to a local guitar store and Demo Any overdrives in your price range. Thats what i did and i landed on the TS9. It was just the right amount of volume (most are gonna be smilar) and transparency. Plus its not a huge tone sucker either to my ears.

Some prefer 808 over the 9 but again its personal. Your not doing the wrong thing by going with like an OCD or BadMonkey its whaever you think works best with YOUR pedal.

OK, so I guess I really have to do some test-driving and store-surfing.... but first off I wanna solve my "home noodling rig" - the e530 thread - seen you in that one too....

For now the Dual can exist withou being boosted, for a while....
Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
jjbarnes
You read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish
yep, I know the price difference... but I have to make sure the 808 is just too expensive and not too good as well... I mean for boosting, not its own sound....

The tone difference isn't enough imho to justify the price difference, at least not for a boost pedal. The thing is, it's a tubescreamer. They all sound similar in that respect. It's all about balancing the eq between them. As far as boosting a pedal, I'm not a big fan cause I've found it gets too compressed. So I would recommend getting a non-tubescreamer or a tubescreamer with a bass boost kind of circuit. TC Mojo, JHS Morning Glory, Tim or TImmy are all very open sounding ODs
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
Freddiez79

ts9
Freddiez79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #18
ikey_

yeah do you have a price range? all above are great suggestions. i do like my EP booster and my signa drive. signa offeres a great variety of uses even ad a dirty pedal itself or it has a few modes that work great for straight boosts. the "tubescreamer" mode does a great job boosting as a TS would as well.

yeah i agree, not sure i would buy a boost for that boost.

way i see it - that blackstar alreadt probably cost 200. drop another 100 into a pedal to boost that, you have 300 bucks in the floor just to get better tone out of your amp.

why not just spend $300 more into your amp purchase and get the tone to come straight out of that?
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
Airfish

OK, so from my side Id like to close this one down.... I returned the Blackstar pedal, so no more speculating about whats the best thing to boost it with....

Thank you all for your insightful comments and advice.

Cheers!

Rate This Thread: