Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
TarDude

Strings always slide beneath my fingers

Ive practiced for weeks doing bends(and i did bends even months before) and still the strings slip beneath my fingers(like when you bend string B and string G slips beneath your fingerstips).

I tried bending from my wrist, hands, and every possible position i can think of and i STILL have this problem. I watched every guitar teacher do this on youtube and mimicked his actions perfectly and the strings still slip beneath my fingers.
And the WORST thing is that sometimes i succeed. My success(the strings not slipping underneath my fingertips) is totally random. I can have streaks of perfect bends and streaks of bad bends no matter what i try. When i do manage a good bend, i stop, i do it VERY slowly and learn my movements and it STILL wont matter.

I dont know what i can do anymore. Its not just "hard" - hard i can take. I love challanges. But this.. this is just fkin ridiculous.

Last edited by TarDude : 02-16-2013 at 05:49 AM.
TarDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Try using lighter strings? Sounds like you're simply not pressing hard enough on the strings.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
myearshurt
ho nuva leva

Location: A mystic land where the dew drops cry and the cats meow
just gotta keep practising brah. do it slowly first and keep gradually increase speed, if it sleeps, then slow down
myearshurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarDude
Ive practiced for weeks doing bends(and i did bends even months before) and still the strings slip beneath my fingers(like when you bend string B and string G slips beneath your fingerstips).

I tried bending from my wrist, hands, and every possible position i can think of and i STILL have this problem. I watched every guitar teacher do this on youtube and mimicked his actions perfectly and the strings still slip beneath my fingers.
And the WORST thing is that sometimes i succeed. My success(the strings not slipping underneath my fingertips) is totally random. I can have streaks of perfect bends and streaks of bad bends no matter what i try. When i do manage a good bend, i stop, i do it VERY slowly and learn my movements and it STILL wont matter.

I dont know what i can do anymore. Its not just "hard" - hard i can take. I love challanges. But this.. this is just fkin ridiculous.

Well the first thing you need to realise is that the strings slipping under your fingers really doesn't matter as long as no one hears the wrong string sounding.

Secondly, from that realisation comes this: you just need to mute the strings you don't want to sound. You should be doing this all the time anyway but it's particularly relevant during bending since you're 100% guaranteed to have physical contact with a string you want to keep silent.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
TarDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well the first thing you need to realise is that the strings slipping under your fingers really doesn't matter as long as no one hears the wrong string sounding.

Secondly, from that realisation comes this: you just need to mute the strings you don't want to sound. You should be doing this all the time anyway but it's particularly relevant during bending since you're 100% guaranteed to have physical contact with a string you want to keep silent.

Oh. So let me write what ive understood from your post, and correct me if im wrong:
1)Even though its wanted to "catch" the upper string and not letting it slip, it is common even for competent players to not "catch" it and have it slip.
2)Therefore, it is always required to mute the upper strings.
3)"Catching" the upper string is not really an important skill if you can master muting.

Are you sure letting the string slip even though youre muting is wanted technique? Doing a vibrato while having another string beneath your finger seems off - even if you cant hear it.

Last edited by TarDude : 02-16-2013 at 01:04 PM.
TarDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Well no you don't want it to happen but the point is if you mute well enough it doesn't matter.

Is there any way you can post a picture of the fretboard while you're bending? I want to make sure I'm thinking you're doing exactly what I think you are.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

I've always used my ring finger to do bends all over the neck with my middle finger right behind it for support. Now i also have callous on my fingers and that helps to but beside the point. Your hand position behind the neck is just as important. I watched Jimi and slash for the bends because they were my gods when i was starting. They used there thumb on top of the neck for support and rest the neck on the top part of your palm then let your fingers just worry about the bend and your hand give you the power and grip to bend the strings. Also lowering your string guage helps you slowly build this strength in your hands.

Sorry if this doesnt help much i've never had to explain bending before to anybody. Im a visual learner and you've tried that. How long have you been playing?
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Navi_96
O look, a riff!

Hey,
I don't know how exactly you go about bending your strings, but I can say that sometimes the same happens to me if I get too careless. I am careful to place my finger on the string so that the fingertip goes as directly down onto the string as is possible, so if I bend the string upwards (like the B string towards the G string), the upper string will come on my fingernail. Once there, it shouldn't produce unwanted noise.
If I get careless, my finger will be coming to the fretboard at a very small angle and then the fingernail is too high to catch the string. If doing a big bend, I'm in trouble then.
And when bending it downwards (like G towards B string), i take the lower string with one of my currently free fingers and without sounding it, just kinda bend it down together with the sounding string to get it out of the way, though I usually never do downward bends that are big enough for me to need to do that.

Not really sure if this is gonna be helpful to you, but it sounds to me like you place your finger on the string at a really small angle (like I described above), so you really can't stop the "inevitable" from happening.
Navi_96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: