Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
musicdementia

Gibson's '50s rounded neck vs classic 60s neck profile

I've been wondering whether I should buy a Gibson Les Paul Studio Satin/Faded guitar or a Gibson Les Paul Studio '60s Satin. They're the exact same guitar but one has the classic 60s neck profile and the other has the '50s rounded neck profile. I have small hands (but not tiny) so which would be better? It would also be great if someone posts pictures of both neck profiles side to side.

P.S: I would go out and try them but there aren't any Gibson dealers in my country.

Last edited by musicdementia : 02-16-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention sth
musicdementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

It depends on what is right for you. Sounds obvious and unhelpful but just because you have small hands doesn't mean that there is a neck out there that would be better for you than another.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Here:

show

The 60's neck would be at the bottom and the 50's neck would be in the middle.

I would try them out in the store if possible and see which one you prefer. The 59 neck isn't exactly as huge people make it out to be so you might like it.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
musicdementia

Are those the exact neck sizes? Or is it just an estimation of the difference? I would try them out too; but since there aren't any Gibson dealers in my country, I unfortunately can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
Here:

show

The 60's neck would be at the bottom and the 50's neck would be in the middle.

I would try them out in the store if possible and see which one you prefer. The 59 neck isn't exactly as huge people make it out to be so you might like it.
musicdementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R

Yep, it's really comfortable and not a baseball bat at all. I really like the feel on my LP Studio. However, the 60's neck also feels really nice for my hand, I just prefer this one a bit more over it.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Get out there & try them.

I have the LP faded brown with the 50s neck & I love it. My hands aren't huge but I'd rather have that neck than a thinner one.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
pugachev

normal size hands here, I like 50s necks as well.
pugachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
RockGuitarist09

The things I heard about the baseball 50's neck, i thought it would be huge. When i tried it i was really suprised. Extremely comfortable. I prefer it to the 60's neck.
RockGuitarist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

There is no such thing as an exact neck size when it comes to Gibson. Their necks are first shaped by machine but then finished off by hand, so each one is slightly different. in fact, they can vary a lot. I've played '50s' necks that were thinner than most 60s and '60s' ones that were thicker than most 50s.

This is the main reason why you should never buy a Gibson base don its spec and you should never buy one online. Go to a shop, play some. When you find one that feels right to your hand, buy that one, right there. You can pick up four of the exact same model of Gibson and they will all feel and sound different. That is both the beauty and gigantic flaw with Gibson guitars.

Though I will add that even at their largest, Gibson necks are not the "baseball bat" necks. I don't know why so many people get this confused. It is the Fender Telecasters from the early 50s that had those "baseball bat" necks. Gibson necks, even the early ones, have always been slimmer than that.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
There is no such thing as an exact neck size when it comes to Gibson. Their necks are first shaped by machine but then finished off by hand, so each one is slightly different. in fact, they can vary a lot. I've played '50s' necks that were thinner than most 60s and '60s' ones that were thicker than most 50s.

This is the main reason why you should never buy a Gibson base don its spec and you should never buy one online. Go to a shop, play some. When you find one that feels right to your hand, buy that one, right there. You can pick up four of the exact same model of Gibson and they will all feel and sound different. That is both the beauty and gigantic flaw with Gibson guitars.

Though I will add that even at their largest, Gibson necks are not the "baseball bat" necks. I don't know why so many people get this confused. It is the Fender Telecasters from the early 50s that had those "baseball bat" necks. Gibson necks, even the early ones, have always been slimmer than that.

Explains why my Tele has a huge neck. My Lp has a thin 60's and the tele is really fat, it's nice though.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
hminh87
Justin here!

This should gives you a perspective of them but as said before. Gibson has been quite inconsistent with the neck profiles over the year so the drawing is not entirely correct to 100%.

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
WholeLottaIzzy

I think inconsistency is good. Yeah it means you get some bad ones but it also means there can be some really great ones. Which is why buying genuine 50s pafs is generally a bad idea.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeLottaIzzy
I think inconsistency is good. Yeah it means you get some bad ones but it also means there can be some really great ones. Which is why buying genuine 50s pafs is generally a bad idea.

I don't agree. There should always be a ****ing high standard. If that standard is then achieved and then some by some guitars, great. But if it means you have great guitars and shit guitars and you buy one, get it home or because of location are forced to buy online and it turns out to have shitty frets, really muddy tone, crappy binding and can't stay in tune for shit, that's a massive failure in my eyes, a waste of resources, money and damaging to a brand.

I'd make sure there was a certain high standard and always be looking to beat it because there shouldn't be a broad spectrum of quality on a single line of guitars. It should be great, then amazing. Not amazing or piss poor.

But, I haven't actually played many bad Gibsons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
WholeLottaIzzy

Yes of course. Inconsistency doesn't mean no standards. Well, to a point I guess. But I mean, it'd be good to have a high standard but then because of the work done by hand things will vary. Quality control standards need to be very high but what I'm getting at is there should be more variation in the guitars like there were in the 50s. It shouldn't be x number of winds on the pickup. It should be roughly amount. You see where I'm coming? The build quality should still be as good as it can be.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
AWACS
I want all of the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeLottaIzzy
Yes of course. Inconsistency doesn't mean no standards. Well, to a point I guess. But I mean, it'd be good to have a high standard but then because of the work done by hand things will vary. Quality control standards need to be very high but what I'm getting at is there should be more variation in the guitars like there were in the 50s. It shouldn't be x number of winds on the pickup. It should be roughly amount. You see where I'm coming? The build quality should still be as good as it can be.

Guitars should have their "quirks" and "personalities" instead of just being CNC'd clones, right?

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
MrFlibble

You need to stop thinking of quality and specification as the same thing. A Gibson neck may vary from the spec; that does not mean it is a bad guitar. What makes a shit neck for one person can be the perfect neck for another. Everybody has different hands.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
WholeLottaIzzy

I didn't say that they were the same thing. I said the quality control should still be high but should allow for variations.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

WholelottaIzzy is saying if they were truely 50's spec, they wouldnt be so precise. We only had so much tech to use in the 50's.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
WholeLottaIzzy

Yup. Technology is great but I think it is also restrictive as far as creativity goes at least when trying to replicate a 50s.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
MrFlibble

I was more responding to Mephaphil. Tits McGee has it more or less right.

As it so happens, at least as far as Gibson go, there is a lot of variation in aspects other than just the neck profile. Each coil of their pickups (and the new Epiphone ProBuckers, I believe) are only wound to within -/+15% of their stated spec, to encourage the mismacted coil tone of the 50s pickups. Checking output on Burstbuckers is a real pain because you can buy a #1 that reads hotter than a #3, quite easily. Their pots also seem to be made within tolerances of -/+10%, too, rather than the -/+5% which the 'top' pot brands use. And, obviously, all the woods used can vary hugely in weight and resonance.

Really, it's quite cheap. They keep quality control tight on the core construction, and all the fret and nut work is done with PLEK systems now, of course, but when it comes to winding pickups and initially choosing wood they can half-arse it and write it off as being vintage-correct to have stuff be random. But well, that is both their curse and their charm.

Last edited by MrFlibble : 02-18-2013 at 04:14 PM.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: