Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
Thieves

Cool First Electric Guitar

Hello,

I'm currently looking to purchase my first electric guitar. I have no music related experience, although I've always wanted to be able to play an instrument.

My favourite guitarists and/or bands would be Johnny Marr from The Smiths and Bernard Sumner from Joy Division/New Order.

I have a budget of around $1500 AUD (though, not just for the guitar) and what I've been considering is a MiA Fender Telecaster. Well, that or a Strat.

Is there such things as a "bad" guitar for a beginner? And am I putting too much in for my first guitar?

Thanks
Thieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato

Hey man, welcome aboard!

It's great that you have that kind of a budget for gear starting out.You really couldn't go wrong with an American Strat or Tele. Are you willing to go used?

StrykVladzimsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

If you're serious about playing then no, that's a great amount to spend. Just make sure you keep it up!

You'll need an amp. The amp is very important as your guitar will sound very poor with a rubbish one. You should really be looking to spend a 1/3 of your budget on the amp.

Jonny Marr is famous for his Jaguar. You could get a MiM Jaguar, I'm not sure about price. Used might be a better option. I know you guys get everything expensive so if they are too expensive I would suggest this as a guitar/amp option.

Mexican Fender Strat or Telecaster.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-TE...=item3a7e3c225a

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-St...=item2c6c5493ef

With your budget you should be getting a tube/valve amp. They are the best and most vintage sounding amps. Something like a used Laney VC50 or MARSHALL DSL401.

Do NOT buy any Marshall MG or Line 6 Spider amp. They suck balls. Stores seems to push them on customers but JUST SAY NO!

You might be able to get a used Fender Blues Junior or a Vox AC30 ,the hybrid ones used, or you can look at good modelling amps like a Fender Mustang 3 or a Vavletronix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-17-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykVladzimsky
Hey man, welcome aboard!

It's great that you have that kind of a budget for gear starting out.You really couldn't go wrong with an American Strat or Tele. Are you willing to go used?

Thank you.

If I can find something that's not too similar to the original price and has a good condition v price ratio, then I'm all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
You'll need an amp. The amp is very important as your guitar will sound very poor with a rubbish one. You should really be looking to spend a 1/3 of your budget on the amp.

You might be able to get a used Fender Blues Junior or a Vox AC30 ,the hybrid ones used, or you can look at good modelling amps like a Fender Mustang 3 or a Vavletronix.

I think I may be able to swipe an amp from one of my uncles, although I'm not sure how good it would be.

Regarding Marr, I like the "jangly" sound displayed in "This Charming man", which was on a 54' tele, I think. Another guitar I'd considered was a Shergold Masquerader (used by Bernard), although they seem to be hard to come by.

A new tele from a store I found is $1099, although is there anything wrong with the Special Series?
(http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/....aspx?CIID=3495)

Edit: Actually, just found out that it'd be possible for me to acquire a MiM Tele for around $600 at a local store, so I think I will most likely be getting that.

Last edited by Thieves : 02-17-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato

I have a friend who has an MiM Strat that plays beautifully. Go for it!

StrykVladzimsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

Yeah I'd go for an MiM tele or strat. If you're not feeling it later on, they can be modded out to an almost MiA level with very little effort or cost. Really it's the electronic guts of the MiM's that suck. Some custom shop pickups, a shielding job and you've got a really great guitar.

Either that or get a used MiA. I bought mine used, switched out the pickups for another 150 bucks and got a better guitar than a brand new model for about 70% of the cost

That being said, it's the amp where you need to be spending most of your cash. If you're a fender guy, I'd really suggest buying a Blues Jr and then work you guitar budget around that. 60% of your tone is going to be your amp, 20% your guitar and 20% in how you play.

Last edited by Battery Chicken : 02-17-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
AmirT

Around 1500$ I'd suggest an American Standard and a Blues Jr.

But since your music-taste is alternative-like, then I'd suggest a Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang or some other "alternative" guitar, since a lot of the music is played with these guitars. Or that's what I've experienced though.
AmirT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

He doesn't have the budget for that, he's in Australia. The MiM Strats go for around 700+.

Unless you know someone who's selling it all mega cheap.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-17-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
jabronie25

I started out with a cheap strat, and actually it wasn't a bad guitar. But I eventually wanted something more and bought a Jackson RR3, and then a ESP LTD Eclipse. But i have to say, I still go back to that strat because of its single coil pickups and the sound i can get from it that's not possible with the jackson or the eclipse
jabronie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Thieves

Regarding the amps mentioned above, would a $800 Fender Blues Junior III (new) be alright?
http://www.conceptmusic.com.au/prod...NEW-MODEL!.html

Or, there was also a few used amps, such as the Marshall DSL401 for about $800.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cair...401/1013182780#

A Laney vc50 - $800.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/vinc...made/1013283400

Last edited by Thieves : 02-17-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
StuartBahn

I advise you not to get a valve amp unless you are going to be gigging.

Valve amps need to be drive hard (ie very loud) to get the best from them. If it is to stay in your home then you would be better off with a good solid state amp. Exactly what you get depends on your style of music but $1500 is a big budget for a first electric guitar / amp.

Best regards,
Stuart Bahn
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
HN117

If you live in Sydney and adamant on a MIM strat, try this place:

http://theguitarlounge.com.au/

Fender Standard strats start at $550

They also do deliveries but I don't know about the shipping costs
HN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #13
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thieves
Regarding the amps mentioned above, would a $800 Fender Blues Junior III (new) be alright?
http://www.conceptmusic.com.au/prod...NEW-MODEL!.html

Or, there was also a few used amps, such as the Marshall DSL401 for about $800.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cair...401/1013182780#

A Laney vc50 - $800.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/vinc...made/1013283400

All of those amps are good choices my friend. It's a myth that valve amps need to be loud to sound good.

I'd never buy a Solid State if I could have a tube amp.

As you're new I don't imagine you'll be gigging and the blues junior is a low watt amp that will sound good. Plus if you do start gigging you can mic it up easily.

I'd probably say the Marshall first because it's a great amp and you'll have it for years. Then the blues junior. The Laney is kind of a copy of the Marshall.

Quote:

Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #14
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I am actually selling a Laney VC50 for 250. That's about $370AUS? It's got a few tears on the vinyl finish but it's in perfect, working order and was serviced recently. The price you pay in Australia seems ridiculous. The Laney would be around 300 here used generally.

Postage to Australia would be $270 plus around $40 for packing. That's $710, and I'd do it for $700 all in. I'd pack it like a mother****er . Or you could arrange your own courier.

Thoughts?

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-18-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
Thieves

@HN117, that's the store I was referring to in one of my posts above.

@Mephaphil, I've found another Marshall DSL401 for $700.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gidg...-amp/1012074474

I've looked around online stores and the general price for that Marshall (new) is around $1300. Though, as I don't plan on "gigging" for a long time, would that generally be a good at home amp? I want an amp where it'd be possible to practice without being overly loud - which is a subjective term though, I guess.

What about a Roland Cube 60 or a Vox Pathfinder 15R? Would either of those be suitable for the type of music I'm wanting to play/emulate?

Last edited by Thieves : 02-19-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #16
Simple Jack
Acoustics = top kindling

Roland Cube is a good, hardy amp and a decent second-hand Fender would serve you well.

In other words I bring nothing new to this discussion
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Simple Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Thieves

I think I'm going to go with the Vox Pathfinder 15R. Couldn't find a Roland Cube 60 and the Vox is only $150. From reviews, it seems like it'd be an alright beginner amp.

Rate This Thread: