Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Lucky 360

Guitar Strap Advice

So I got my first strap a few months ago, havent really used to it too much. But i will be using it more so now. I just wanted some advice on how to find the best position for me. Undoing it and increasing the length has helped a bit (it was too close to me). I was just wondering is there anything that I should consider? E.g. allowing more space lets me play barre chords easier, thats what it feels like anyway.

But any advice anyone could give me would be great, thanks!
Lucky 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
StuartBahn

There is no single rule for guitar position, but consider this. It is sensible to have your guitar in the about the same position whether you are seated or standing. Many guitarists tend to hold the guitar in a very rigid position when sat, and then decide that they 'can't play standing up' because the guitar hangs in a different position to when they were seated.

All the best,
Stuart Bahn
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
Prescott_Player

What works for me is putting the sound hole in front of my belly button, and keeping the neck on about a 45 degree angle upwards from horizontal... it doesn't look as cool as a low slung position, but it enables me to play and see what I'm doing, real well.

BTW, don't forget strap locks... Schallers work quite nicely.

Last edited by Prescott_Player : 02-18-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Prescott_Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Lucky 360

Thanks guys
Lucky 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
StuartBahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prescott_Player
What works for me is putting the sound hole in front of my belly button, and keeping the neck on about a 45 degree angle upwards from horizontal... it doesn't look as cool as a low slung position, but it enables me to play and see what I'm doing, real well.

BTW, don't forget strap locks... Schallers work quite nicely.

+1 for straplocks!
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: