Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
MetalSlvg

H/S/S 5way switching help

Hello everyone.

I'm planning to do some changes to my strat. At present I have a H/H wired pick guard but the plan is to swap that out for an H/S/S.

I've been looking at how to wire a 5-way switch and I understand the basics. I also think I know the answer to this question before I ask it, but as I'm still learning I reckon I'm best asking anyway because some crazy person out there might have worked out a way to wire it.

Question is:

Is there any way to wire the 5-way selector to be:

1) Neck
2) Neck + Middle
3) Middle + Hum Slug
4) Humbucker
5) Hum Screw + Neck

I don't see any way it would work, but as I said, there are some mad scientists out there!

Thanks in advance for any help.
MetalSlvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

My guess is you would probably have to have another independant switch for the humbucker.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
MetalSlvg

I guess I could always trade out the 5-way for 3 toggle switches and have one each for neck and mid and have a 3 throw switch for toggling different coils on the humbucker and middle position for full humbucker.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalSlvg
I guess I could always trade out the 5-way for 3 toggle switches and have one each for neck and mid and have a 3 throw switch for toggling different coils on the humbucker and middle position for full humbucker.

Either that or you could just use a 5-way with a push/pull knob. Or a super switch.

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable wiring guys here might be able to dig up a diagram for a wiring job like that. It doesn't sound too crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Maybe a rotary knob?

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

You need to get a 'super' 5-way and an on/on switch (push-pull, push-push, mini toggle or S-1 switch) to flick between the two 5-way sets. you wouldn't get those options in that specific order, but it would be possible to get all of those selections in some way.

The other way to do it is with a regular 5-way and three switches. One switch would add the bridge pickup to the 5th, 4th and 3rd selections (no effect on the 2nd and 3rd positions), the second switch would split the humbucker and the third switch would reverse the phase of the humbucker (when using a phase switch while a humbucker is split, the phase switch basically changes which coil is being used; you would need to be very careful and also attach the neck and middle pickups to the phase switch so they get flipped too, depending on which coil is being used, or you'll get out-of-phase tones, which are very different).
You wouldn't get those selections in that order, again, but you could get the usual 5-way options with the added option of adding a full humbucker, split slug- or split screw-coil pickup sound to any of the top three positions.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
MetalSlvg

Actually, I found an interesting diagram from the guys at Bare Knuckle Pickups, here's the URL: https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ma...o_coilsplit.pdf

If I add a DPST switch to the coil tap that directs the south coil to bypass the 5-way and go direct to output it means I can have the humbucker swap between series and parallel in position 5 and when in pos 1 I can have the neck and screw coil of humbucker on.

Win/Win.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Eh, sort of. That diagram is actually the most common way to wire a HSS set with a 5-way. Adding a direct-out switch to one coil of the humbucker will of course allow you to add it in to any positions, but it also means that coil will become much, much brighter-sounding and have more output, unbalancing the pickup when both coils are used and overpowering the single coils. It also means you get to play 'guess-the-phase' with all the various pickup combinations.

As I suggested before, having two switches—one splitting, one switching coils & phase—gives you everything without the headache of unbalanced coils or phase issues.

And it's 'split', not 'tap'. 'Tap' is something you do to single coil pickups.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
RebuildIt

I'm a fan of separate switches. They do take a bit of getting used to, and more stuff to remember, but it lets you have Every possible combination. Now the sad truth is about 80% of those sounds are nearly indistinguishable from some other sound, so having 100 combinations is not as useful as it sounds. If you already know everything, you can choose your 5 favorites ahead of time and do whatever wiring it takes to get them into a super switch. I would rather have the 100 choices and be often confused. Plus its fun to try and count them. (my current project is HSH with enhanced Brian May and a varitone.)
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: