Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Which are you talking about?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #22
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Depends what sort of sound you're after and how long you're willing to spend dialing in a tone. The Spider Valve can do a helluva lot more than the Vypyr Tube can, plus they've got inherently different tones since the Spider Valve is rocking twice the valves for the preamp; their gain structures are really quite different. They're equal, really. It's like saying a Dual Rectifier is better than a JCM800 which is better than a Twin Reverb which is better than a Dual Rectifier. Different strokes, different folks.

But there is no denying the Spider IV is atrocious.
The SV sounds like it's sitting at the bottom of a pond. Didn't like it all. I'd definitely say it sounds worse.Not just different; worse.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Which are you talking about?

The spider iv.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
The SV sounds like it's sitting at the bottom of a pond. Didn't like it all. I'd definitely say it sounds worse.Not just different; worse.

See and I owned a SV for 3-4 yrs and I liked it much better than the Vypyr tube. But like I said it took over a yr to get 4 really good patches saved. Mine also had the Strymon SVpre installed about 1 1/2 yrs after I first bought it and that mod did wonders for the amp.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Ah, that explains it then. Did the Strymon mod remove the mud?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Ah, that explains it then. Did the Strymon mod remove the mud?

The strymon mod actually puts a 12ax7 tube in the signal path of the amp.
The SV does not have a 12ax7 for the actual signal path. In the SV V1 is actually giving power to the internal POD system. and V2 is the PI. So in reality there is absolutely no tubes in the signal path except the power section. The SVpre mod put a 12ax7 directly before the DSP section, in the signal path and it gave 3 diffrent modes for the SVpre.

It really sucks that they don't make them any more, they turned a great idea into a really good amp. I kinda regret selling it now even though I never played it anymore
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

You'd be better off running a hd500 into the DSL I would have thought.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #28
Robbgnarly

Quote:
You'd be better off running a hd500 into the DSL I would have thought.

I bought the DSL last August and I sold the SV in sept. I had not used the SV in over 3 yrs. I bought it for a covers band I was playing in and it served its purpose well. I used a Uberschall and a JSX for a while in my Punk/Hardcore band, but Economy went south and my Bogner and Jsx went to pay bills (damn needy kids )
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

I only read the OP but my suggestion is:

don't
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #30
Deadpool_25

LOL@Trollthread

I'm still enjoying the discussion though.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #31
RickyThomson

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanusisready
I'm sort of doubting my decision.

Don't listen to these fools rhetoric about how these are terrible amps. It's a circlejerk you'll find on this forum. Most of the people saying line 6 spider's are rubbish probably haven't even played through one and are repeating this whole charade because it makes them fit in and feel like they have a popular opinion.

They are a good value for money. I've had a spider IV 30 watt for the past 2 years and it does exactly what i want it to do and was much cheaper than anything else i heard in guitar stores that was sold "as new". If you know what tone you are after, you can get it.

Don't be put down by the vocal minority.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #32
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Oh boy another one of these guys.....

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #33
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #34
megano28
Of Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyThomson
Don't listen to these fools rhetoric about how these are terrible amps. It's a circlejerk you'll find on this forum. Most of the people saying line 6 spider's are rubbish probably haven't even played through one and are repeating this whole charade because it makes them fit in and feel like they have a popular opinion.

They are a good value for money. I've had a spider IV 30 watt for the past 2 years and it does exactly what i want it to do and was much cheaper than anything else i heard in guitar stores that was sold "as new". If you know what tone you are after, you can get it.

Don't be put down by the vocal minority.

Agreed, it's down to preference, but the earth would have to be 10x as stupid to have kept Line 6 Spiders in business if the Vypyrs were that much more godly. And the whole commission myth has been busted by a few users here who have worked for guitar center in the past.

Seriously, the last time I went to a GC, they literally had the Spiders and Vypyrs across from one another, trying to make excuses for their sales records makes you sound like you're one of those 15 year olds against the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain

I don't own either and I agree with him

We should really get a double blind test going, if as many of you could discern between the two amps, I'd take back any criticisms of this group think immediately
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
The spider iv.
It's technically a step up from the Spider III, but loses out to the Spider II and original on build quality; nonetheless, each of the solid state Spider line have been atrocious. The Flextone amps, which came before them, were good; the Spider Valve, even if it was solid state (which it isn't), at least has newer, less dominating digital modeling (though the fact that it's also got a valve preamp and power amp also make it better in many peoples' eyes, modeling be damned).

Quote:
Then I'd suggest you can't have spent long with it, because it's inherently a very bright-sounding amp; it's the only valve amp I've ever used where I didn't want to keep the presence control maxed out all the time.

I know I reference them every time, but well, here are a couple of Spider Valves in action

Last edited by MrFlibble : 02-20-2013 at 08:37 AM.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #36
Robbgnarly

Quote:
It's technically a step up from the Spider III, but loses out to the Spider II and original on build quality; nonetheless, each of the solid state Spider line have been atrocious. The Flextone amps, which came before them, were good; the Spider Valve, even if it was solid state (which it isn't), at least has newer, less dominating digital modeling (though the fact that it's also got a valve preamp and power amp also make it better in many peoples' eyes, modeling be damned).

Then I'd suggest you can't have spent long with it, because it's inherently a very bright-sounding amp; it's the only valve amp I've ever used where I didn't want to keep the presence control maxed out all the time.

I know I reference them every time, but well, here are a couple of Spider Valves in action

The SV does not have a tube preamp. 1 12ax7 is to give power to the built in POD 2.0 the other is the PI. There is no 12ax7 in the signal path of the preamp. They only marketed it that way. The Strymon SVpre was the only way to get an actual 12ax7 in the preamp signal path.

And yes I thought it was a brighter amp my presence was arou 9-10 o'clock
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 02-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #37
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

It wasn't that it wasn't bright enough, it was muddy in so much as there was no definition to the sound. Just a muffled mess.
I didn't get to **** with it much but the guy in the shop was trying to dial in a decent sound in order to sell me a guitar after I told him the Marshall MA he initially plugged me into was disgusting.
If one spent a couple of years editing patches then maybe it could be made sound ok but the stock sounds were extremely uninspiring. I could shit out an amp that sounded better.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #38
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Quote:
It wasn't that it wasn't bright enough, it was muddy in so much as there was no definition to the sound. Just a muffled mess.
I didn't get to **** with it much but the guy in the shop was trying to dial in a decent sound in order to sell me a guitar after I told him the Marshall MA he initially plugged me into was disgusting.
If one spent a couple of years editing patches then maybe it could be made sound ok but the stock sounds were extremely uninspiring. I could shit out an amp that sounded better.

Will the amp you poop out be tube or solid state? I'm guessing solid state because tubes cause indigestion.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #39
MrFlibble

Quote:
If one spent a couple of years editing patches then maybe it could be made sound ok but the stock sounds were extremely uninspiring.
Well yes, there is your problem. Since when have stock settings—on any product, ever-been any good?

"Muddy" and "no definition" are precisely the things you can't enforce on a Spider Valve even if you want to. 'S why they've been a hit with the extended scale crowd, you can have a baritone 8-string chugging along and every note is as clear as an E Standard 6-string throuhg a normal amp. Of course, the Spider Valve isn't quite as clear as the Vetta or HD147 were, those are still the kings of the alternative chord-grinding world, but they're the next best thing.

I won't deny that Spider Valves have their problems—there's a good reason why I stick to Line 6's legacy products and not their new ones, myself—but muddy is the last thing I would ever associate with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
The SV does not have a tube preamp. 1 12ax7 is to give power to the built in POD 2.0 the other is the PI. There is no 12ax7 in the signal path of the preamp. They only marketed it that way. The Strymon SVpre was the only way to get an actual 12ax7 in the preamp signal path.
Incorrect. In fact, you can plug your guitar signal in to the back of the amp and bypass the software (which isn't based on POD 2.0, I've no idea where you got that from) entirely, using only the valve preamp and power amp. It doesn't sound very good, of course, because it was designed to sound as flat as possible to let the software do its thing properly, but it's an option that is there.

If there's no speaker cab (or dummy load) connected, your signal simply goes through the software and to the cab simulated out. The valves don't get touched. If there is a cab/load connected, your signal goes in, is converted to digital, goes through the software (whatever settings you so choose), then is converted back to an analog signal, then on to the preamp. After the preamp it procedes to the power amp as usual, with only the presence control and effects loop alongside (the software can also enforce a few specific effects, like delay, in at the loop).
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #40
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Well yes, there is your problem. Since when have stock settings—on any product, ever-been any good?
Set every knob on a JTM45 to noon and it will sound good.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Rate This Thread: