Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #41
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble

Incorrect. In fact, you can plug your guitar signal in to the back of the amp and bypass the software (which isn't based on POD 2.0, I've no idea where you got that from) entirely, using only the valve preamp and power amp. It doesn't sound very good, of course, because it was designed to sound as flat as possible to let the software do its thing properly, but it's an option that is there.

If there's no speaker cab (or dummy load) connected, your signal simply goes through the software and to the cab simulated out. The valves don't get touched. If there is a cab/load connected, your signal goes in, is converted to digital, goes through the software (whatever settings you so choose), then is converted back to an analog signal, then on to the preamp. After the preamp it procedes to the power amp as usual, with only the presence control and effects loop alongside (the software can also enforce a few specific effects, like delay, in at the loop).

Yes you can plug into the FX return and get a sound, that is puting your amp after the DSP preamp. That is the Power section not the pre amp, I already said that it has a tube power section, the pre is not tube. Like I said 1 12ax7 is the PI the other is to power the modeling section and is not in the actual signal path. This is why Stymon invented the SVpre so you put a tube infront of the DSP.

The Spider valve models are from the POD 2.0 this came directly from a Line 6 tech I talked to on the phone about needing some replacement nuts (which L6 sent me for free, Great Customer service)

I actually liked my SV HD100 but these are the facts that came from Line 6 and Strymon.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Yes you can plug into the FX return and get a sound, that is puting your amp after the DSP preamp. That is the Power section not the pre amp, I already said that it has a tube power section, the pre is not tube. Like I said 1 12ax7 is the PI the other is to power the modeling section and is not in the actual signal path. This is why Stymon invented the SVpre so you put a tube infront of the DSP.

The Spider valve models are from the POD 2.0 this came directly from a Line 6 tech I talked to on the phone about needing some replacement nuts (which L6 sent me for free, Great Customer service)

I actually liked my SV HD100 but these are the facts that came from Line 6 and Strymon.

That's contrary to the Line 6 Signal path diagram?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #43
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

The only Line 6 amp i'd ever consider buying are the DT's. Lots of sounds that are actually very impressive.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 02-20-2013 at 05:01 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #44
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Set every knob on a JTM45 to noon and it will sound good.
Nah. If anything is set below 8/10, it's bad. Stick everything to full or just-off full and you're good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
words
You're just pulling nonsense out of your arse now; Arby has it right, though that diagram is slightly misleading (not Arby's fault; that's the common diagram everybody has) since it doesn't clearly indicate that the software can also stick some effects in the loop, nor does it show how the software bypass comes in, but in terms of the pre and power sections, it has it right, which is the important thing.

As for the Pod thing, simply no. I'm just going to shoot that down right now: three of the models in the Spider Valve, as well as four of the effects, do not even exist in those forms in Pod 2.0 or 2.5 software. Of the ones which do feature in both systems, the actual patch structure is different and the tones aren't the same, despite the names. This is actually a comon complaint that people have with the Spider Valve, that if you dial something in in Pod and also dial the 'same' thing in the amp, they won't sound the same. It's why Lacuna Coil (shamelessly pimped above) still use HD147s for some tones, since they're closer to the Pod settings than the Spider Valve is (though even that is different, too).
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #45
Robbgnarly

Quote:
You're just pulling nonsense out of your arse now; Arby has it right, though that diagram is slightly misleading (not Arby's fault; that's the common diagram everybody has) since it doesn't clearly indicate that the software can also stick some effects in the loop, nor does it show how the software bypass comes in, but in terms of the pre and power sections, it has it right, which is the important thing.

As for the Pod thing, simply no. I'm just going to shoot that down right now: three of the models in the Spider Valve, as well as four of the effects, do not even exist in those forms in Pod 2.0 or 2.5 software. Of the ones which do feature in both systems, the actual patch structure is different and the tones aren't the same, despite the names. This is actually a comon complaint that people have with the Spider Valve, that if you dial something in in Pod and also dial the 'same' thing in the amp, they won't sound the same. It's why Lacuna Coil (shamelessly pimped above) still use HD147s for some tones, since they're closer to the Pod settings than the Spider Valve is (though even that is different, too).

I just looked in the old SV pilots guide it says it is a POD 2.0 style DI, so I was getting confused in the way I recalled that my mistake. so it's DI output is based on the POD 2.0 not the models

I really was told by Strymon that the V1 only gave power to the modeling section and was not in the signal path, thats why you dont notice a change in tone if you swap it out. Thats why I bought the SVpre for mine. That mod does wonders for the amp if you have never tried a SV with one.

Like I said reguardless, I liked my SV and think they sound way better than UG gives them credit for as a whole.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #46
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Nah. If anything is set below 8/10, it's bad. Stick everything to full or just-off full and you're good to go.

Yeah I run my inputs bridged, one on 8, t'other on 9. It still sounds good with everything set to noon, it just sounds better cranked, no argument there. Really though, you gotta try pretty damn hard to make a JTM45 sound bad.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #47
MrFlibble

I've been in a fair few practice rooms, studios and gigs which would say otherwise. Oh god, the things some people do. I've seen a legit 1960 Fender Bassman 4x10" running with the mids scooped and a Digitech Distortion Factory.

If anybody wonders why I get so RAH RAH RAGE about gear, this is why. You have not known rage until you've witnessed a guy with an ESP Horizon III plugging in to a Marshall MG100FX.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #48
Goochster

Good informative posts MrFlibble/Robbgnarly. I too own an SV (SV MKII 112) and to be fair I've had my ups and downs with this amp.

The stock tones are shit which everybody knows. I hated my SV for a long time and even a lot of the tones I downloaded at customtone still didn't sound great.

Unfortunately you need to spend a lot, and I mean a lot of time tweaking this amp to get the tones to your liking for your own personal taste. Not everyone wants to spend hours arseing around with different patches when you just want to play guitar though. I'm now at a stage where I really like this amp but it took a long time to get there. (I almost traded in in for a Vox Valvetronix) Its great for all different types of music which I guess is why it fits in well with the cover bands.

I've personally never played through the other Spiders so can't comment but I don't think the SV deseves the sort of hate that it seems to get on this forum either.

Just my tuppence!
Goochster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #49
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
I've been in a fair few practice rooms, studios and gigs which would say otherwise. Oh god, the things some people do. I've seen a legit 1960 Fender Bassman 4x10" running with the mids scooped and a Digitech Distortion Factory.

If anybody wonders why I get so RAH RAH RAGE about gear, this is why. You have not known rage until you've witnessed a guy with an ESP Horizon III plugging in to a Marshall MG100FX.
There's no cure for stoopid.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #50
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
There's no cure for stoopid.

I disagree.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #51
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I'm not sure you can call death a cure.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #52
MrFlibble

May not cure them, but it cures the planet.

Rate This Thread: