Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
MightySumo
I love lamp
 
MightySumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle of buttf*** nowhere
Dual Rectifier....worth it?

Odd question considering it's pedigree but seriously, anyone that's played this beast please provide some input. I have all the money to buy one and I've been saving for the last 5 months. But I want to know before I go ahead with this if there are any better alternatives. Again...odd question.
I 100% LOVE THIS AND WANT IT LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEA, but that aside I want to know realistically what I'm getting myself into. I play heavier alternative in my band but love metal and hard rock etc. etc. etc, so I know it'll fit but real world knowledge takes precedence over gasing any day
__________________
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
MightySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
 
Blktiger0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marrietta, Ohio, USA
I don't get what you're asking. You love the amp, you know it'll fit for your style of music, and you know Mesa makes quality amps, but you don't know if you should buy it?

Am I missing something here?

Buy the damn amp!

/thread
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Reincaster
Call me Rein.
 
Reincaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
It's one of those amps where you can get it and it's either the magic bullet or you don't like it, but you can flip it fairly easily. Just get it, and if it's not for you, at least you can say you played it!
__________________
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
MightySumo
I love lamp
 
MightySumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle of buttf*** nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I don't get what you're asking. You love the amp, you know it'll fit for your style of music, and you know Mesa makes quality amps, but you don't know if you should buy it?

Am I missing something here?

Buy the damn amp!

/thread


No no no no no....lol
It's not like I'm all unsure or anything, I just guess I'm looking for feedback. This is easily the most expensive thing I will have purchased up to date and I just want to be sure before I buy. I just don't want it to be a classic case of looky what I got and then it's a pain in the ass when actually gigging and using it.
__________________
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
MightySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
MightySumo
I love lamp
 
MightySumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle of buttf*** nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
It's one of those amps where you can get it and it's either the magic bullet or you don't like it, but you can flip it fairly easily. Just get it, and if it's not for you, at least you can say you played it!



Not to get all dishonest and car salesman like, but isn't it something like, in the UK market I can get a bunch more for it when I sell it over there instead of here in the states?
__________________
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
MightySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
 
NakedInTheRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Straya
not really, as it runs at a a different voltage to that of the UK. sure you can still use it over there if you use a tranformer or get it modded, but having to splash out extra tends to put people off unless it's a steal of a price.
__________________
Pedalboard Thread Native: The Fuzzy Little Man Peach

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013

Last edited by NakedInTheRain : 02-18-2013 at 11:39 PM.
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
 
Danjo's Guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Socorro, NM (aka New Mexico Tech)
Go for it. If you don't like the way it sounds get a different guitar, because it probably isn't the amps fault. Mesa makes quality. I have a Stiletto Ace, and I love the thing. I wasn't sure at first, but then I figured out the pickups on my Epi were just really weak, so now that I switched guitars I'm loving it.

The only thing is if you want super modern gain you'll probably need high-output pickups and/or a boost pedal of some kind. I know this is true of the Stiletto, and I've heard it about the Rectifier too. But if you're playing heavy alternative stuff you'll probably be fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150


Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
 
AxSilentxLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySumo
Odd question considering it's pedigree but seriously, anyone that's played this beast please provide some input. I have all the money to buy one and I've been saving for the last 5 months. But I want to know before I go ahead with this if there are any better alternatives. Again...odd question.
I 100% LOVE THIS AND WANT IT LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEA, but that aside I want to know realistically what I'm getting myself into. I play heavier alternative in my band but love metal and hard rock etc. etc. etc, so I know it'll fit but real world knowledge takes precedence over gasing any day

It was an anti-climax for me when I first played a dual recto (2 channel) it had been built up as this god among amps and when I finally played one I preferred my 6505+

It's all personal preference.
__________________
Gear list here.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
 
Danjo's Guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Socorro, NM (aka New Mexico Tech)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
It was an anti-climax for me when I first played a dual recto (2 channel) it had been built up as this god among amps and when I finally played one I preferred my 6505+

It's all personal preference.


6505 is a pretty solid amp too. And really I don't expect to be blown away by any gear the first time I play it, or even probably for the first month or two that I own it. It really takes a good 6 months to figure out if you like something or not in my opinion. Unless it breaks a lot, then you know right away.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150


Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts
 
sg4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Screven, Georgia
It sounds like you already like it, so it really just comes down to preference. I think that Mesa is worth the dollar.
__________________
Fender MiM Strat
Tele copy
DeArmond M series
Charvel DS-3
Vox Night Train 15 and custom cab
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
 
dementiacaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh/Durham, NC
I liked my Rec, but I no longer own it if that is any indication of how much I continued to like it. It is an awesome amp if you like Recs, but it will always sound like exactly that.

Don't buy it unless you are really sure that is the sound you are after, but it sounds to me like it is
__________________
Right back at it again.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #12
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
It was an anti-climax for me when I first played a dual recto (2 channel) it had been built up as this god among amps and when I finally played one I preferred my 6505+

It's all personal preference.


This was my experience as well.

However that's not really indicative of anything - I'm sure I'm looking for much different things out of the amp than you are.

You have been very vague about what you actually want to do with it. It's great for many things, it absolutely nails certain things, other things it doesn't. Just throwing out genres and styles is useless, you have to talk bands/albums if you want useful conversation about tone and what an amp can/can't do.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
TVeye
Not Worth It......
 
TVeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: In your Face
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo's Guitar
Go for it. If you don't like the way it sounds get a different guitar, because it probably isn't the amps fault. Mesa makes quality. I have a Stiletto Ace, and I love the thing. I wasn't sure at first, but then I figured out the pickups on my Epi were just really weak, so now that I switched guitars I'm loving it.

The only thing is if you want super modern gain you'll probably need high-output pickups and/or a boost pedal of some kind. I know this is true of the Stiletto, and I've heard it about the Rectifier too. But if you're playing heavy alternative stuff you'll probably be fine.


So that $2000 amp didn't work well with a $300 guitar? Huh
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #14
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
 
Danjo's Guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Socorro, NM (aka New Mexico Tech)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVeye
So that $2000 amp didn't work well with a $300 guitar? Huh


Actually it worked better with my $100 guitar than the $500 Epi. It sounds good so nobody can say nothin'.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150


Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
megano28
Of Stone
 
megano28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I have one that I haven't touched for about 2 years now.

I changed my musical preferences and went acoustic, I haven't had a major need to sell so it just sits there

My opinion is that you better get a boost for it if you want metal, I hated it until I got one, then I loved it.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #16
MatrixClaw
UG God
 
MatrixClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Climbin In Yo Window, Snatchin Yo People Up
Buy an older 2 channel and save yourself $1200, while getting a better amp
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.





www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySumo
real world knowledge takes precedence over gasing any day


GAS has no basis in logic. Until you pick up and try one... you'll never be fully convinced it is or is not for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #18
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...
 
Woffelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Land of Chocolate
If you're in the UK, they're horribly expensive. Try out different amps too unless you're going to use the Rectifier a helluva lot or you're rich.
__________________
Your beliefs are only valid when they correspond with my own.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #19
MightySumo
I love lamp
 
MightySumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle of buttf*** nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
You have been very vague about what you actually want to do with it. It's great for many things, it absolutely nails certain things, other things it doesn't. Just throwing out genres and styles is useless, you have to talk bands/albums if you want useful conversation about tone and what an amp can/can't do.



Hmmm, alrighty where to start?
I like metallica, foo fighters, lamb of god, steve vai, paul gilbert, john petrucci, breaking benjamin, and theres many..many more but I hope that gives you an idea of the tone I'm after.
__________________
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
MightySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #20
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySumo
Hmmm, alrighty where to start?
I like metallica, foo fighters, lamb of god, steve vai, paul gilbert, john petrucci, breaking benjamin, and theres many..many more but I hope that gives you an idea of the tone I'm after.


Foo fighters sure, Metallica- maybe. What album?

Dream Theater- nope.

Mark IV will nail the DT sound easily.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.