Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
Flare584

Epi Les Paul Standard (LH) vs Schecter Omen Solo 6 (LH)

Hey people. Hopefully this is in the right area of the forums, since this is my first post. So, I was considering getting a new guitar soon, and I am stuck between a lefty Epiphone Les Paul Standard ($414) or a Schecter Omen Solo-6 ($399). I play mostly heavy metal, but I still need good clean/unplugged sound (maybe because I don't like my Line 6 amp ) because I like using cleans or playing without an amp. I currently have two guitars: an old (70 years or something like that) Durango acoustic which I love to death, and a stock 2001 Fender MIM Strat given to me by a friend for free. I play them like lefty guitars even though they're both right handed guitars (like Albert King). So, which guitar would be more worth it for me? By the way, I'm probably going to swap pickups out anyway, so ignore them for the moment. Any response is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Flare584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

Try both out, get the one you like best
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
AWACS
Lord Steward

Try them out. Both should be fine for the music you're playing. Get a better amp. Save money, don't swap the pickups yet.

Mesa Boogie Mark V '12 PRS SE CU24Blackstar HTV-212
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle Digitech Bad Monkey TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic TCE Ditto
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Flare584

To Robbgnarly, I have NEVER seen a left handed guitar in any music store around here. The one I normally go to said they don't have any, and the local Guitar Center doesn't stock any. Which is why I was thinking of getting stuff from Amazon. Would it be a good idea just to see how the righties play and judge based on that (since there shouldn't be a major disparity between the LH and the RH versions)? I haven't ever bought a guitar before and am unsure whether judging like that is a wise idea (since I 've heard Epiphones sometimes are hit or miss). And why not swap out the pickups if I don't like the sound? Nonetheless thank you (and AWACS) for your input.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Flare584

Oh and because I just noticed, I inadvertantly said Schecter Omen Solo-6 when the guitar was the Standard Solo-6 (at $549 on Amazon) sorry for my error, I'm slightly scatter-brained at times.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
AWACS
Lord Steward

I tried coming up with an analogy but failed.

The pickups of your guitar, when compared to the amp and (arguably) the construction of the guitar, play a minor role in your overall tone. I cant remember who said it, but pickups change the voice, more mids, less treble, etc., of your sound than the actual sound itself. The amp, because it is last in your signal chain has the largest influence on your sound. Save yourself ~$150 from the new pickups you wanted, and maybe put that money towards a better amp, or even a better guitar.

Mesa Boogie Mark V '12 PRS SE CU24Blackstar HTV-212
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle Digitech Bad Monkey TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic TCE Ditto
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare584
To Robbgnarly, I have NEVER seen a left handed guitar in any music store around here. The one I normally go to said they don't have any, and the local Guitar Center doesn't stock any. Which is why I was thinking of getting stuff from Amazon. Would it be a good idea just to see how the righties play and judge based on that (since there shouldn't be a major disparity between the LH and the RH versions)? I haven't ever bought a guitar before and am unsure whether judging like that is a wise idea (since I 've heard Epiphones sometimes are hit or miss). And why not swap out the pickups if I don't like the sound? Nonetheless thank you (and AWACS) for your input.

Order from somewhere that has a good return policy.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Flare584

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
I tried coming up with an analogy but failed.

The pickups of your guitar, when compared to the amp and (arguably) the construction of the guitar, play a minor role in your overall tone. I cant remember who said it, but pickups change the voice, more mids, less treble, etc., of your sound than the actual sound itself. The amp, because it is last in your signal chain has the largest influence on your sound. Save yourself ~$150 from the new pickups you wanted, and maybe put that money towards a better amp, or even a better guitar.

Exactly why I never test a guitar that is plugged into an amp. It seems more like I'm testing the amp. Anyway, I refuse to play a guitar that is horrible sounding when unplugged. It just seems strange and odd. Anyway, most of the amps GC keeps out are better than what I have, so it would be more misleading than helpful.

Last edited by Flare584 : 02-20-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Wrong word used

Rate This Thread: