Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

3 piece band help?

Hey. Me and some friends wanna start a band, and because we can't find a singer for the kind of thing we wanna play and we don't want to get someone in the band for the sake of it, we're gonna keep it a 3 piece. I play guitar, and I'll be singing some songs, our bassist will be playing some of the others.

I just have to ask for some advice on what to cover. We either find that stuff has two guitar parts or a separate guitarist and singer, and so the guitar is a little too tricky to sing along with it.

We can cover a fair bit of Blink-182 and Green Day atm when we're just jamming together, but we want some more different bands to cover, to mix it up. Things like Sum41, FoB, Foo Fighters etc would be good, but it has to sound okay with one guitar.

Any suggestions or tips for us? Thanks!
Acechao111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
themindbullet

Well, i'm not sure how helpful this will be but...

I also am in a 3 piece band and we seem to benefit more from writing our own songs. We try to make it as simple but interesting as possible. Now i am lucky in that i stumbled upon our guitarist/singer who happens to be great at both of those things, as well as making up lyrics on the spot while we're playing.

I usually just start whipping out bass lines that i've been working on and then the drummer/guitarist jump right in and we just kind of hammer it out until we're satisfied.

This is not always a smooth process but what you'll find is that a lot of your musical tastes will show through in your songs but they will also have a more personalized/original feel to them as well.

Sorry, not really what you asked for but this works pretty well for us!

Good luck!
themindbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
jumpaside

My last band was a three piece. I was a bass player and the singer played guitar. We sounded tighter then when we had another guitar in the band. Also we did have limitations due to "I can't sing and play at the same time." But we found songs that worked. That being said with the two guitar parts in songs I can suggest that the bassist could use a distortion pedal during solos. It makes it almost seem like there is a second guitarists (obviously used in taste. Don't need a distorted bass on a ballad)
jumpaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Thanks for the tips you guys. Yeah I was thinking whacking the bass up would be good for when there's a quieter guitar part underneath a lead sounding part. & Also yeah we are thinking of writing songs too, it would help us have a good set list at least Just struggling to find thing "3 piece-able" -.-

Don't wanna do too many of the same bands!:p
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
van jammin

Maybe try some Ramones or Sublime. If you want to expand out the the punky stuff look into Ryan Adams, or some 90's alt like Closing Time (SemiSonic) or The Way (Fastball). All sound good with one guitar and pretty easy on the pipes.
van jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Of course you could do some covers just to have fun and play but I wouldn't play too many covers if I wanted to start writing my own songs. First write some songs and then gig.

Many 80s hard rock bands had only one guitar. Though I don't know about your guitar playing skills and if you like 80s hard rock. But if you are going to sing and play, maybe learn to do it properly. You can make songs work with only one guitarist, you might just need to change the parts. I don't see why a song wouldn't work with one guitarist unless it has a solo that needs rhythm guitar. But you can always change the solo. Sometimes it sounds cool if you have only one guitar and there's only bass playing the background part. If you feel that you need two guitars, then get another guitarist. But if not, just change the parts so that it sounds good. Write your own solos.

And yeah, start writing your own songs (if that's what you want) and play the covers only to have fun. If you are going to be an original (not cover) band, you want to play as many own songs as possible. One cover here or there doesn't hurt, at least if you do your own kind of version of the song. I wouldn't really play covers if they sounded exactly like the original versions.

BTW, do you like Nirvana? Their songs are pretty easy.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Jimmy Blue

I'm in a 3 piece band

Every song we do we make our own! If a song has 2 guitar parts, merge them into one.

Be creative and arrange covers to make them unique to your bands style

It's a lot more fun and you'll be a lot more original.

And also, I agree with everyone else... write songs!!
Jimmy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
nectarboy21

I'm in a 3 piece too. I would suggest that you just hit the ole MP3 player and listen through your favorite bands. Just make sure the guitars don't overlap too much in bands that have 2 guitars. Or that the bass could pull the rhythm. You can also check out covers on YouTube. There are some talented mofos out there that find a way to combine parts and pull it off really well.

But to answer your question. Chevelle is a 3 piece and everything holds up live. Some Breaking Benjamin, Fuel, Eve 6, Evans Blue, Sick Puppies, Staind, Live, Lit, Papa Roach, Bush. The only thing that sucks is there are so many different tunings between all bands. So I hope your guitarist has a few guitars.

I would agree with everyone else. Writing your own stuff is way fun and then you don't have to worry about the rest of the stuff.
nectarboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Powersurge213

Biffy Clyro only have three members, but I guess if you are struggling to play and sing at the same time, a lot of their stuff may be a bit challenging.
Or you may just hate biffy, each to their own...

Find a song you like, any song and write your own arrangement if you have to (eg dumb it down a bit, or simplify) or just practise enough to the point where you can sing and play :P
Powersurge213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Jacques-Henri

Rush and ZZ Top.
Jacques-Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys, yeah the situation is, we'd like to covers so we can play stuff people know, when we're playing in front of people we know or whatever. I think we will be writing stuff, we're kinda working on it now, so we'll have that. I think I'll take the advice of, change it to fit our style! Sounds good! I'll check out some of the bands suggested too
Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Acechao111
Take your pants off.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys, yeah the situation is, we'd like to covers so we can play stuff people know, when we're playing in front of people we know or whatever. I think we will be writing stuff, we're kinda working on it now, so we'll have that. I think I'll take the advice of, change it to fit our style! Sounds good! I'll check out some of the bands suggested too!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acechao111
Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys, yeah the situation is, we'd like to covers so we can play stuff people know, when we're playing in front of people we know or whatever. I think we will be writing stuff, we're kinda working on it now, so we'll have that. I think I'll take the advice of, change it to fit our style! Sounds good! I'll check out some of the bands suggested too

Yeah. But really, you might not want to play more than one cover song per gig. If you write your own songs, you want to play as many original songs as you can in a gig (you want the audience to hear your own songs because that's what you really are). And also make version of the cover song that sounds like you and not the original band. And there's no need to go gigging straight away. Wait until you have written enough songs and also learned to play them well. We have played with my instrumental rock band for over a year and a half and we still haven't really gigged. (We have played a couple of songs sometimes but I wouldn't call that a gig, it wasn't our gig, it was just our school's Christmas concert and we were one band that played there.) But now I have really started to feel that we are ready to gig.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

I've played in a few three piece bands as the bassist and they are the ones that hva to pick up a lot of the slack in terms of filling the sound. So have a good bassist will make the guitarist job a bit easier.

But at this point you have to make a decision on if you wanna play covers or originals. Doing a even mix of both comes off weak. I under stand if you have to play a couple of covers to fill time on a three hour night at a local pub but other than that it rubs the wrong way to most people it seems.
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
pushbuttonfour

There are many good three piece songs in your genre, which I happen to love. Ty flavor of the weak by American hi fi, the click by good Charlotte, anything by nirvana, van halen by need herder, semi charmed life by third eye blind, jumper by... Also third eye blind? Oh And some stuff by lit and sr71 are good too
pushbuttonfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
coldandhomeless

all u need to do is weezer blue album, greenday nimrod album, bush 16stone album, nirvana nevermind, then THANK YOU GOODNIGHT!
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Suggest a song thread.

Rate This Thread: