Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
marjoriefish

Classic Player Jaguar Special or Pawn Shop Jaguarillo?

I'm probably going to buy one or the other, so which one should I get? The Classic Player Jaguar Special or The Pawn Shop Jaguarillo and why?

marjoriefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
zenbone
King of two things...

you can't go wrong with either but i would say the Jagurello. more pickups = more brutal
zenbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...

Why do you want a Jaguar? That's the real question. If it's for the tone and switching options of a Jaguar, then get the Jaguar. If it's just for the body shape and scale, then would you rather have a Jaguar or a Strat trapped in a Jaguar's body? Because that is exactly what you get with the Jaguarillo. For me, it would be the Jaguarillo, for pickup layout, simple switching and wiring, and looks.
4FunandProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
jetwash69

I concur with both the above posts.

Another thing for you to consider is whether you want to have to remove the pick guard to adjust the truss rod. Major pain in the butt if you're doing it yourself, and if you're letting a tech/luthier do it for you it might cost more. Also more chances of hardware getting f-ed up or pickguard screw holes getting stripped as lots of techs aren't too careful with the screws or get too lazy to use the right sized screwdriver. Also more chances for deep scratches in the guard or the body if the screwdriver slips.

Maybe not a big deal, but just something that you should be aware of in case you hadn't noticed that or considered the ramifications before.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
SteveHOC
Used Register

Well, we can't really tell you which one to get. Any information that we can tell you is probably on the specs, widely available online. I guess we can tell you which guitar we would personally pick, and in that case, I pick the Jaguar. Why? Because I like them, and haven't played the other. Check out the "which guitar should I get?" sticky if you want suggestions, otherwise, go play them both, and pick the one that feels right.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
marjoriefish

jetwash69, that's a good point.

4FunandProphet, I want a Jaguar for the scale length and the body size. I generally play an SG but I want a second guitar for a different sound. And my SG is a robot and therefore can't have a whammy bar, so the Jaguar is a good contrast I think. I also just don't like Teles or Strats.

I played the Jaguarillo at a store and I really liked the neck and the sound, but I've never found a Classic Player Jaguar Special so I don't know much about it other than the specs.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Personally, the Jaguar.

If you get the Jaguarillo, however, make sure you're prepared to try and find a humbucker to swap out. The Atomic Humbucker in there is horrid.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
gucio93
>_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
I concur with both the above posts.

Another thing for you to consider is whether you want to have to remove the pick guard to adjust the truss rod. Major pain in the butt if you're doing it yourself, and if you're letting a tech/luthier do it for you it might cost more. Also more chances of hardware getting f-ed up or pickguard screw holes getting stripped as lots of techs aren't too careful with the screws or get too lazy to use the right sized screwdriver. Also more chances for deep scratches in the guard or the body if the screwdriver slips.

Maybe not a big deal, but just something that you should be aware of in case you hadn't noticed that or considered the ramifications before.

Easier to take the neck off. I have a jazzmaster and that's how I do it. That way you don't have to remove the strings. If you hold them down at the first fret with a capo they stay in place and you only have to unscrew 4 screws instead of like 12 from taking off the pg. Not to mention a truss rod adjustment isn't a common tune-up procedure so a little extra work once in a blue moon is really negligible.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
gucio93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
SteveHOC
Used Register

Alright, this is probably going to sound nuts, but have you looked at the Squier VM Jaguar? Truss rod adjustment at the head of the neck, tremolo, and vintage specs. Pickups and pots are easy enough to swap out, and you save at least a few hundred bucks. If you're set on the Fender, totally understandable, but it's a thought if you want a Jag with easy truss rod accessibility. Quality wise, it may not be exactly spot-on the CP Special, but with a few upgrades, it'll be damn close (and you could do a lot worse for the price).
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucio93
Easier to take the neck off. I have a jazzmaster and that's how I do it. That way you don't have to remove the strings. If you hold them down at the first fret with a capo they stay in place and you only have to unscrew 4 screws instead of like 12 from taking off the pg. Not to mention a truss rod adjustment isn't a common tune-up procedure so a little extra work once in a blue moon is really negligible.

Good points all around. And as I mentioned before, it's not a big deal for everyone; just something good to know going into it.

Clearly taking the neck off is less convenient than using an allen key at the top of the headstock. Just like restringing a Floyd is less convenient than a fixed bridge. There's a few concerns with letting a tech take the neck off:
- If they forget which screws go with which guitar, they can crack the neck if they try to force a screw that's too long. Don't laugh--it happens when they're multitasking and pressed for time
- The neck screw heads are even more likely to get damaged. That's a real annoyance when it rips the flesh on your left palm when you're playing high notes. Strat screws are easy to find replacements, but many others are more of a challenge (like my Schecter that a tech screwed up--literally).

Anyway thanks for the neck tip; I'll probably use it on my Mustang if it ever needs an adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Alright, this is probably going to sound nuts, but have you looked at the Squier VM Jaguar? Truss rod adjustment at the head of the neck, tremolo, and vintage specs. Pickups and pots are easy enough to swap out, and you save at least a few hundred bucks. If you're set on the Fender, totally understandable, but it's a thought if you want a Jag with easy truss rod accessibility. Quality wise, it may not be exactly spot-on the CP Special, but with a few upgrades, it'll be damn close (and you could do a lot worse for the price).

Not a bad idea. Especially if you were going to swap pups anyway. But you may also want to consider changing out the other electronics, too. It even has 22 frets, which is a little rare for a Squier. You can get those parts here: http://www.darrenriley.com/fenderparts.htm

Edit: If you do go with the Squier, you might want to consider getting it from Sweetwater. Normally they do a good setup on their guitars--and have a reputation for doing it better than most music stores. Squiers are notorious for awful factory setups, although the VMs won't be as bad as Affinities or Bullets. I'd call and ask first, though, as they might not be doing that on their cheaper guitars since there's much smaller margins on those.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 02-19-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
marjoriefish

Every Squier I've ever played has sounded cheap and flabby to me. But maybe these are different? I dunno. Maybe I'll give it a try if I can find one at a store.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
SteveHOC
Used Register

Worth a shot for sure. I just picked up the VM Jazzmaster and I have no complaints thus far, it feels quite solid (though I know what you mean about some of the other models).
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoriefish
Every Squier I've ever played has sounded cheap and flabby to me. But maybe these are different? I dunno. Maybe I'll give it a try if I can find one at a store.

Well, the pickups are the main reason. Replacing the tuning machines won't hurt either--I had to on my Affinity because I broke 2 of them. The pots, switches, and jack can use replacing too. I got a total investment of around $450 in my Affinity including a $100 or so setup (where they had to shim the neck) and including the $125 I paid for it in the first place. But now it's my favorite guitar and the one I use ahead of much more expensive guitars. It's definitely better than any MIM Fender I've seen at any price. Only drawbacks now are 21 frets instead of 22 (can't do anything about that) and the saddles are getting worn, so it'll need better replacements some day.

The VM might not need new pots (at least not for a long time), but it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the jack with a DiMarzio unit (under $6 from Musician's Friend). It won't affect the tone, but it will hold the cable better.

If if were a hollow body it'd be a different story because those have somewhat microphonic pups designed to pick up some of the acoustic resonance--so wood characteristics and construction will make a bigger difference with those. But this is a solid body electric, so the pickups are almost exclusively transmitting magnetic signal, making wood factors fairly irrelevant. The biggest concern would be if the Squier had a crappy bridge--that can affect the tone on a solid body electric a little bit, but no where near as much as the quality of the pickups will. And unless you're playing on a tube amp (or a one in a million solid state amp), it might not make much difference because most solid state amps mask such nuances.

Remember, the amp/pedals comprise the biggest factor in your tone by a huge margin (like 95% or more, especially if you use distortion).

Last edited by jetwash69 : 02-20-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
marjoriefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Remember, the amp/pedals comprise the biggest factor in your tone by a huge margin (like 95% or more, especially if you use distortion).

Perhaps so, but I use basically no distortion other than some tube warmth; so the pickups I use are probably more important. I'll probably pass on the Squiers, but maybe when I play one it will blow me away? (I don't think it's likely though. From what I can tell the people who say that Squiers sound like Fenders are just bad at listening to music).
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
jetwash69, that's a good point.

4FunandProphet, I want a Jaguar for the scale length and the body size. I generally play an SG but I want a second guitar for a different sound. And my SG is a robot and therefore can't have a whammy bar, so the Jaguar is a good contrast I think. I also just don't like Teles or Strats.

I played the Jaguarillo at a store and I really liked the neck and the sound, but I've never found a Classic Player Jaguar Special so I don't know much about it other than the specs.

If a whammy system is what you want, then a Jaguar is not what you want. The tremolo is more or less useless except for chord vibrato. No good at all.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #16
marjoriefish

Yeah. Chord vibrato is all I want.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Perhaps so, but I use basically no distortion other than some tube warmth; so the pickups I use are probably more important. I'll probably pass on the Squiers, but maybe when I play one it will blow me away? (I don't think it's likely though. From what I can tell the people who say that Squiers sound like Fenders are just bad at listening to music).

This comment is kind of hilarious. Saying that Fender overall has a "sound" (even if you just mean Jags) is inherently incorrect. There are variations of the Jaguar, variations of specs, thus variations of sound. I happen to find that there are several Squiers that sound very much like their Fender counterparts, and I'm guessing there are several people on this board that share the sentiment - people who listen to music well enough.

Anyway, not picking a fight, or necessarily saying that you're wrong (we all have our opinions) - but don't lump people who believe their Squiers sound as good as Fenders into the camp of people who are "bad at listening to music". Sweeping statements like that are asinine.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
marjoriefish

I've been told enough times that this-or-that Squier sounds just as good as a Fender, then played it only to discover that the Squier sounds like a cow fart. I've stopped looking for the Magical $200 Guitar That Sounds As Good As A $700 Guitar. I don't think it exists.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
jetwash69

Quote:
I've been told enough times that this-or-that Squier sounds just as good as a Fender, then played it only to discover that the Squier sounds like a cow fart. I've stopped looking for the Magical $200 Guitar That Sounds As Good As A $700 Guitar. I don't think it exists.

No, but swap the pups and bridge between the two guitars, give the $200 guitar a good setup, then see which one sounds better.

Comparing the Squier out of the box to the Fender out of the box, there's a good chance the Squier will lose (but maybe not by much if you test blind). But if you enjoy doing modifications, then the Squier can be a better value. Especially if you compare it to the pawnshop version which probably also would benefit from a better bridge pickup.

Also, remember the Vintage Modified represent the high end of the Squier line, whereas the Pawnshops are mid-to-low end Fenders. The worst sounding Squiers I've played have been Standard model Strats and Jagmasters. The Standards even sound bad unplugged, so it's not just the pickups; maybe it's the agathis, or maybe they just have really crappy saddles and/or trem blocks. Oddly enough, the Affinity Strats sound better unplugged even though they cost less (maybe it's the alder). Plugged in they all need pup replacements, but the Standard still sounds worse (I think it's something with the bridge).

IMHO, the Pawnshop Mustangs don't hold a candle to my MIJ '65 Mustang RI, or even to the Cobain sig model Mustang.

Regardless of what you get, be sure to post a NGD thread with photos. Sound clips or video would be cool, too. Happy hunting!

Last edited by jetwash69 : 02-20-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
SteveHOC
Used Register

^+1

And definitely take some good pics of whatever you get!

Rate This Thread: