Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
marjoriefish

jetwash69, further thoughts on Squier vs Fender...

A Squier Jaguar is $300. A Fender Jaguar is $700.

I could buy the Squier ($300) and then buy pickups ($200) and a tremolo with arm ($100) and tuners ($50). That's $650 and I haven't even touched the pots and switches yet. Nor I have accounted for my time which also has value. Not to mention the setup ($100). And I have a feeling the frets on the Squier will go bad sooner than the frets on a Fender.

I just don't see the bargain in buying a Squier and upgrading it.
marjoriefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
Ippon
Amped

Another option is a used MIJ Jaguar for a little bit more than a new Squier. I love inexpensive guitars since some do offer an excellent Bang for the $$$. The MIJ versions are pretty well-made and if you're fussy, chances are it'll be the PUs that'll need an upgrade.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Another option is a used MIJ Jaguar for a little bit more than a new Squier. I love inexpensive guitars since some do offer an excellent Bang for the $$$. The MIJ versions are pretty well-made and if you're fussy, chances are it'll be the PUs that'll need an upgrade.

I haven't seen a MIJ (non-Special HH) Jag go for under $600, and yeah, the pickups are unimpressive, which could put it at more than the MIM CP Jag.

The Squier will run you $300 if you don't use any coupon codes that are out all the time - which, of course, you should. Pickups, should you upgrade, may run you $200, the trem arm is an unnecessary upgrade, and my VM tuners are solid. All that will run around $460 (I just got $40 off at Sam Ash, so that's the discount I'm going by). Either guitar may need a setup, so factor that in for both, and I'm not seeing a new CP Jag for $700 anywhere - $800 most places. Savings of $340 if one were to go with the Squier and drop in new PUP's. Speculating on fret wear is pretty tough, and new pots and switches, if necessary, runs around $60. Still $300 saved.

Again, I can see wanting the Fender, but I think your math is off. Anyway, I'll probably get a CP Jag soon myself, so I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it.

SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #24
marjoriefish

You're right about the CP Jag being $800 and not $700. But your point about coupons also applies to the Fender so that cancels out.

Still, I think the locking tremolo is a must-have to be gigable. Is the cavity on either one shielded? That's also necessary for a gigging guitar. And that also costs money and time...

So anyway, add back in the tremolo price and the pot price and we're at $180 in savings. Minus the time put into it (and the possible need for shielding) and we're still back to zero or at a loss IMHO.

Last edited by marjoriefish : 02-20-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #25
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoriefish

I could buy the Squier ($300) and then buy pickups ($200) and a tremolo with arm ($100) and tuners ($50). That's $650 and I haven't even touched the pots and switches yet. Nor I have accounted for my time which also has value. Not to mention the setup ($100). And I have a feeling the frets on the Squier will go bad sooner than the frets on a Fender.

I like you.

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
SteveHOC
Used Register

Fair enough, though I couldn't say about the shielding. I guess $180 is a good savings in my eyes, and since I love working on guitars, the time wouldn't so much bother me. Do you like the CAR over the Sunburst color? I really wish they'd do the CP in Olympic White, that would be my perfect guitar (throw in binding and blocks and I'd never have to buy another guitar).

Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
JustRooster
Organ Donor

As per usual, I agree with Ippon. Ebay some of this:

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/products_jaguar.html

MEPHAROOSTER
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #28
SteveHOC
Used Register

Is there one under $825? If so, I didn't see it.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #29
JustRooster
Organ Donor

There are on Ebay

MEPHAROOSTER
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
SteveHOC
Used Register

Well, on a second eBay search, I still didn't find one under $825. My eBay skills must suck.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #31
marjoriefish

SteveHOC, Any sunburst guitar just makes me think of hairy men in the 70s like the Doobie Brothers or Creedence and that is like my least favorite thing ever. So yes, I will buy anything but a sunburst.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #32
marjoriefish

Also, regarding ebay, I'd prefer a store that is a real store with a return policy and without having to use the scam that is PayPal. So, for me personally I won't be buying anything over $50 on ebay.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #33
JustRooster
Organ Donor

No worries. I was only offering a suggestion. Do you mind if I ask where you live?

MEPHAROOSTER
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #34
jetwash69

Quote:

Well, then it sounds like the Squier probably isn't for you. It might just need pups, but if you don't enjoy doing that, and aren't saving a lot of money, then why bother?

This might help you decide whether to bother trying one in person or not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G59sHpVA2f8&feature

As for fret wear, I play my Squier a lot more than my MIA Strat (I like the humbuckers I chose better than the Single Coils Fender chose, but I'm not modding a real Fender), but in the last 7 years neither has significantly more fret wear than the other. Neither has gotten much wear at all over the last 5 years after I learned the hard way to change the strings before they start getting abrasive from oxidation. I do get a green patina forming on the Fender frets, but not on the Squier frets. But your mileage may vary.

Quote:
SteveHOC, Any sunburst guitar just makes me think of hairy men in the 70s like the Doobie Brothers or Creedence and that is like my least favorite thing ever. So yes, I will buy anything but a sunburst.

LOL

They make me think of guys like Hendrix, Clapton (Brownie), SRV (No. 1), and those are some of my favorite things. But the thing with sunbursts is that semi-transparent finishes like that usually do have a strong correlation between cost and quality. Attractive Squier sunbursts are rare, and most of them are awful. I've never seen a good MIM sunburst, while the MIA sunbursts are OK IMHO. But the custom shop and other high-dollar models is where they really look great.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #35
SteveHOC
Used Register

I saw a really sharp CP Jag in Sunburst with a mint pickguard someone had dropped in, and I'm thinking I will do the same. CAR is a beautiful color, but maybe a bit too flashy for me. The fretwear thing is an interesting argument, and I'd be interested to hear sources saying that Squiers wear down more quickly (in the CV and VM line). I had a Squier Tele for years that got regular gigging (broke college years) and I never saw significant wear, at least any more significant than the much nicer guitar I alternated with.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #36
jetwash69

Just realized that the Classic Player series is MIM. MIMs have improved a lot lately (I haven't come across a bad Blacktop series guitar yet), but it's not like you're talking made in China/Indonesia/India vs MIA.

I don't know if they've changed this for the Jaguarillo, but back in 2011 the entire Pawn Shop series was Made in Japan. I'd take MIJ over MIM any day.

Just more food for thought.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #37
SteveHOC
Used Register

Yeah, I had considered this as well - the MIM lines are getting better in quality, but they are just as hit-or-miss as the Chinese or Indonesian guitars in my experience.

That said, I'd still do the Jag over the Jaguarillo any day of the week, but that's just personal preference.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #38
marjoriefish

The Jaguarillo is made in Ensenada, Baja California in Mexico.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #39
jetwash69

Quote:
The Jaguarillo is made in Ensenada, Baja California in Mexico.

Not surprising. Thanks for the update. My Googling found a posting from a Fender moderator dated back in 2011.

BTW, did you ever find out about installing a trem on your Robot? That was you, wasn't it?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #40
marjoriefish

I am in fact the one who wants to put a vibrato bar on my Gibson Robot. I've asked many different people, and I've e-mailed Gibson who never e-mailed me back. No one seems to know if it's even possible.

Rate This Thread: