Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
kashmir0109

Recommend me a steel string!

So, I'm growing sick of the famous brands (Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc.) and the more I play them, the less novel they seem.

What are some less commercial brands of steel string acoustic that I could buy that:
A. Has a really nice warm, rustic, and round tone (I play folk and celtic)
B. Is extremely comfortable to play
C. Looks absolutely beautiful
D. Has excellent electronics

I'd prefer pure tone and sound amplification over percussive snappy tones any day.

I don't want to spend more than $3000 on this, but it doesn't have to be expensive either. I realize that I can get some reallllly good quality guitars for under $1000.

I feel like there are so many guitar brands hidden from the public that are outstanding quality, and I want to find some of those!!!

Last edited by kashmir0109 : 02-27-2013 at 08:51 AM.
kashmir0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I have heard that some Washburn acoustics are really nice and not too expensive, but don't hold me to that.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

I am completely serious in my suggestion here, check out yamaha. They make excellent, criminally underrated acoustics. I had $600 saved up to spend when I got my acoustic 2 years ago, and I wound up walking out the door with a barely used (so clean it was tagged new by accident) yamaha FG700S for 189 with case and warranty (bit of haggling will get you far) I was going to buy a fishman or baggs pickup for it at the time but the rest of the cash went to other things before I got to deciding on one and going to get it. I also tried Taylor (garbage construction) Gibson (Nice but too bright and a little too expensive for me at the time) Fender (ok, but kind of thin sounding) and Martin (wonderful, but out of my price range. I also happen to live a half hour from their factory)

Yamaha recently came out with a cutaway acoustic-electric version of the FG700S, but at your price range you could get one of their higher up A-series models. Really, I've found with acoustics, brands help with going in the right direction but really finding the right acoustic is trial and error. I'm sure you know that already though.

BTW my yamaha has a nice round warmness too it, strung up with martin strings, but that could be different on their other models.

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 02-27-2013 at 10:38 AM.
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i've never cared for the sound of washburn guitars myself.

i suggest you try eastman guitars - they are beautiful, nicely finished, lots of variety of tone, size, shape and woods. you can always have electronics added afterward, which is probably the best thing to do if you want excellent electronics. you might also want to look into used santa cruz guitars - they sound amazing, and look purty, too.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
tuxs

Go have a look at Cole Clarke's " Fat Lady" Well worth it. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz

1) listen to patticake, she knows her acoustics

2) I have not been disappointed by any of the guitars made by Godin's subsidiaries, like Seagull and Norman.

3) are you willing to go used? If so, seek out Tacomas.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

i'm still recovering from Dreadnought's ungodly beautiful Edwinson guitar. i'd never heard of them before his senility post but i'm keeping an eye out now.
i don't even know how to spell Celtic music without having to add LarryBirdgreatestcelticofalltime to it, let alone play it. so i wouldn't have a clue as to what guitars are better suited for it.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

That Edwinson was stupendous!

On another board, another guy was showing off a Blueberry he got in an blind auction...Satan on the fretboard, Satan on the sides, Satan on the back. Bet it sounds good, though!

Blueberry guitars are juuuuust within your price range, but I think they're all pure acoustics.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-27-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

the blueberrys were interesting looking. i'd like to hear a few. nothing around me for dealers though. my Adamas 2080sr-nwt answers 3 of 4 of the OP's requirements. it's a badass looking guitar but i would think that it lacks the warmth and roundness?? that he's seeking.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Yeah, I don't think any of the Ovations would fit his bill...not warm & woody enough.

A Breedlove might, though!

Hmm...there's also Babicz, Lakewood, Larivee, and Veilette to consider.

Or a used Gottschall Funnelbody...

If you're OK with Baritones, Gold Tone makes a nice one.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-27-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

agree about cole clarks - especially the fat lady. beautiful, smooth tone.

i'm told that blueberries are made in a non-climate controlled shop, and a lot of owners have reported cracking when kept at "normal" guitar humidities. besides, fancy doesn't necessarily equate to beauty - that's in the eye of the beholder, and we don't know the op's tastes.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Oh, I agree that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder- the guy with the Satan guitar didn't sound exactly pleased with its aesthetic.

Hadn't heard any of the cracking issues, though!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-28-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:28 AM   #13
dannyalcatraz

Sometimes, you just have to stop looking...

I've been going through my list of bookmarks for guitar makers, looking for acoustics to meet the OP's requirements. After noticing many of the acoustic builders I've looked at have models in the $12-18k range, I finally stumbled upon the most expensive new (as in not an antique/vintage/used by celebrity) acoustic I have ever seen: new for 2013, the Parson's Guitars Red Queen.

$65,000

Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
stepchildusmc

thats just plain ugly danny! 65k huh?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
dannyalcatraz

Yup!

I like looking at a lot of Parson's, but I wouldn't buy THAT with Donald Trump's money.

Rate This Thread: