Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Classifieds > Gear Ads
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
woad_yurt

Reason 2x12 Loaded with Vintage JBLs (TN)

I recently scored two fantastic 1x12s loaded with the same speakers so I'm selling this.

The cab was made by Reason out of cabinet-grade birch plywood. It has two jack plates so you can pretty much wire it up any way you'd like. The JBLs have the push button connectors on them so you don't need any tools or solder to change things around and all of the wires have soldered tips. You can wire them in parallel for 4 ohms, in series for 16, or you can use the second jack plate to wire them separately for two 8 ohm loads. There's an extra jumper wire included for parallel use.

The speakers are G125s from the mid-'80s (8 ohms, 60-7000 hz, 200 watts, 102 db sensitivity,) JBL’s top of the line ceramic guitar speakers. They are all original, not re-cones, and were made with the paper dust caps so there's no danger of treble beaming you can get wi6th aluminum ones if you’re directly in the line of fire at volume. I bought one of these back around 1985 or so from Manny's Music in NYC and the other I've had for 5 or so years. They perform as new and are completely without issue.

These are pretty rare speakers, probably because they cost so much new. For the last 5 years, only a handful of them have come up for sale on eBay or Craigslist, both of which I browse regularly. Half of those were re-coned, too. They were over $250 back in the day, which is about $550 in today's dollars. Most people are unfamiliar with them but they're also unfamiliar with Ferrari F40s.

A single one of these will handle any cranked Marshall 100 watt head without worry. However, it's also a great cab for lower wattage amps because of its efficiency. Is your 15 watt head too mushy to gig with because you need to crank it up too much? I bet it wouldn’t be with this cab. It is a very loud cab.

All I can say is that whenever people have plugged into it, with my amp or their own, they all say the same thing: “Wow.” These speakers do not break up no matter what you put through them. It's all amp, guitar and you. They sound rich and clear throughout the range and the bass response is awesome without one bit of flab. It’s a drop tuning monster. Compare the frequency range to what you're using now.

$525 will get this shipped insured to your address in the lower 48 or I’ll take $425 if you pick it up. That's a steal. For comparison, a 120 watt Orange 2x12 loaded with ordinary 60 watt Celestions is $600 from Guitar Center; this cabinet will bury it. It also dusts any 4x12 I've ever seen or heard. Alone, it will blow the windows out of any big auditorium or club.

If those 1x12s hadn't fallen into my lap and if my money wasn’t so tight, I'd never sell it. I'm only reluctantly letting it go.

Thank you for wading through all of my rambling. Please shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
woad_yurt

I forgot:

The white stuff you see around the rim of one of the speaker is the remnants of some caulk. I didn't want to start slip and make a hole so I left it alone. It does not affect function at all.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
woad_yurt

JBL (singular) doesn't turn up in the search so here it is.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
bassdrum
UG Addict

where you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato-Massacre
. lol. youre so B-A, bassdrum!

Add me then check out my kyuss cover!
bassdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
woad_yurt

PM sent!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
woad_yurt

BUMP!

NOTE: With a single piece of wood & 4 screws, this becomes a closed back cabinet!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
woad_yurt

Bump....

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
woad_yurt

Bumpin' it again....

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
woad_yurt

And again....

This is a monster cab. I don't understand the lack of interest....

Rate This Thread: