Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
GS LEAD 5

Progressive/Metalcore, C4C

Hey guys.

We're working on a concept EP of sorts.

Will have 7 tracks in total, about a fictional king's rise and fall.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rootpi?...rce=profile_box

The track "Prologue" is the one I'd like critt'd. Lyrics are included as well.

If its not too much trouble, listen to Mars and Prologue one after the other, since on the final release Mars will fade into Prologue. But just Prologue is fine by me.

Don't forget to link me to what you want me to crit
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
JDawg00100
^ thats me

Location: The seventh layer of hell, next door to Martha Stewart
I gave prologue a listen, and I have to say the writing sounds solid. My only problem is the quality which could be a little better. The guitars are actually pretty good, quality wise they could be better but the playing is good. Drums could use some work, but they are effective. I'm not quite sure about the singing however. The growls are good, the singing parts are hit and miss for me. I did like the clean singing part just past the middle. Other than that I thought it was good, I would love to hear it recorded with a better setup.
JDawg00100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Marqway

Hey nice track I like the riffs nice and a bit catchy ... the vocals had that haunting kind of feel at first but hey what did I expect lol its metal personally Im more of an instrumental metal if anything but anyway the vocals did have a mastadon influence I thought but that could be me , Nice transitions and bells u were using I thought that part had a ambient atmosphere which was ok overal good /not bad can tell you've been playing for a while

NOW ON TO MARS IS BRIGHT!!!!!

wow Fell in love with this track has that awesomeness = ) like how it had that chemistry with what the drums were doing dude epic... I already know im going to be listening to that track all day would love to know what effects you used well sir I dont know if its just you or a band altogether but it takes musical Talent to compose a peice like that will be keeping an eye out for more of your work GS Good ish for real = )

if you dont mind
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590216

Last edited by Marqway : 02-26-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Marqway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
BloodReverence

So Prologue.

First riff is death metally, not my style.

After that it goes into an almost godsmacky/breaking benjamin style riff. I like it, sad that the bass drop was so loud it hit the compressor and smushed everything.

Metalcore riff after is pretty decent. Would be much more powerful with better recording quality.

The screaming vocals aren't my style. I believe the vocals in general could use more work, the chorus especially.

The song really does need better recording quality to give it justice though.

Quiet interlude, liking it. The singing on the quiet part is a bit pitchy in spots, but the vocal style suits it more.

I really like how everything is written after here. It all sounds good. I just think that the production quality could make the track sound WAYYY better.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590194
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
GS LEAD 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawg00100
I gave prologue a listen, and I have to say the writing sounds solid. My only problem is the quality which could be a little better. The guitars are actually pretty good, quality wise they could be better but the playing is good. Drums could use some work, but they are effective. I'm not quite sure about the singing however. The growls are good, the singing parts are hit and miss for me. I did like the clean singing part just past the middle. Other than that I thought it was good, I would love to hear it recorded with a better setup.

Thanks for taking the trouble to listen to it man. Glad to know that the composition itself isn't bad in any way . Yeah, even I agree that the guitar tone could be better....used a Recto model on my pedal....sounds great through my amp, not so when recorded.
I intend to re record the entire song's guitar parts, and some of the later clean bits as well. I didn't quite get what you meant about the drums....is it the production or the patterns themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqway
Hey nice track I like the riffs nice and a bit catchy ... the vocals had that haunting kind of feel at first but hey what did I expect lol its metal personally Im more of an instrumental metal if anything but anyway the vocals did have a mastadon influence I thought but that could be me , Nice transitions and bells u were using I thought that part had a ambient atmosphere which was ok overal good /not bad can tell you've been playing for a while

NOW ON TO MARS IS BRIGHT!!!!!

wow Fell in love with this track has that awesomeness = ) like how it had that chemistry with what the drums were doing dude epic... I already know im going to be listening to that track all day would love to know what effects you used well sir I dont know if its just you or a band altogether but it takes musical Talent to compose a peice like that will be keeping an eye out for more of your work GS Good ish for real = )

if you dont mind
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590216

Glad the songs worked well it's a band as such, but I do all the composing work since the rest are really not quite that experienced as far as songwriting is concerned, they don't mind it much either, being a bunch of lazy bums

Was there anything in the mixing/composition that bugged you?

And I'll be glad to PM you a screenshot of what I used for Mars, if you want one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodReverence
So Prologue.

First riff is death metally, not my style.

After that it goes into an almost godsmacky/breaking benjamin style riff. I like it, sad that the bass drop was so loud it hit the compressor and smushed everything.

Metalcore riff after is pretty decent. Would be much more powerful with better recording quality.

The screaming vocals aren't my style. I believe the vocals in general could use more work, the chorus especially.

The song really does need better recording quality to give it justice though.

Quiet interlude, liking it. The singing on the quiet part is a bit pitchy in spots, but the vocal style suits it more.

I really like how everything is written after here. It all sounds good. I just think that the production quality could make the track sound WAYYY better.

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1590194

Good to see the composition at least is decent enough. As I said, intend to re record the whole thing with a better patch. Am considering using Amplitube or LePou isntead for the tone. And I didn't quite get what you meant by pitchy?
Yeah, I overdid it on the drop. First time I ever tried using one, hence the mess up.

Am posting directly in your respective threads, guys
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
8>7>6. ERG'S FTW.

Last edited by GS LEAD 5 : 02-27-2013 at 09:04 AM.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
BloodReverence

By pitchy I mean that the pitch of the vocals wasn't always 100% accurate, aka some notes were a bit flat or sharp.

Also, I edited mine to include the finished version of my song with the solo in it, if you're interested in listening one more time!

Last edited by BloodReverence : 02-27-2013 at 02:57 PM.
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Marqway

yes please pm me that would be great

and also I fixed the link on my Thread
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
The Baconator

The clean vocals are a tad too pitchy in my opinion, but the growls are solid, and the riffs/drums/bass parts are amazing. I'm in love with that guitar tone - if you could get a slightly better recording of the guitar and clean vocals, this would be perfect. The drums in Prologue suffer from the same thing as the guitar, in that they could use a better recording, but they fit well in the mix and they keep things interesting throughout. I think you have a great thing going here, I'll be looking forward to hear this finished, it's one of the few things that have really caught my eye in a while

Rate This Thread: