User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #21
StuartBahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Won
stop learning everything by frets. l

earn the notes on the fretboard eveywhere. when you play something you should be able to recall every note you just played, if not you're doing it wrong. Learn what notes make certain triads and once you know the notes on the fretboard you can map out your own arpepggios, for example, i know that an Em triad root consist of playing the notes in this order E, G, B. Now i can find all the E, G, B on the fretboard and make awesome shit, just out of a single triad. Now add the possiblity of inversions, sequencing, 7th arpeggios, suspended arpeggios, and 7 different triads within whatever key you are in.

endless. learn your notes.

You make a very good point - and one that many people overlook. The guitar is so wonderfully visual however, that it does make sense to learn 'shapes'. I agree that the understanding of notes must be there too, but ultimately, once you know all the patterns and the fretboard, creating music becomes a far less intellectual activity and more one of expression within the familiar patterns that you already know.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: