Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Axle1

ibanez sir70fd vs ibanez 1451

need to choose between these two, researched them pretty well but need to make a decision. Pros for sir70fd is the Dimarzio stock pickups, the S body, nitro wizard neck, mahogany body, pros for ibanez 1451 are prestige, possibly better quality instrument overall. Cons of sir70fd possibly lower quality instrument, made in us. Cons of 1451 rg shape and pickups.

I want to keep the guitar for as long as i can without having problems with it, i've previously had a Ibanez rgr421exfm (made in Indonesia, not that great of a guitar, but good for the money and what i needed it for.) and apparently the sir70fd is on par with the quality, im mainly going to be using the guitar for metal/shred, not looking for any other guitars, any info or a recommendation would be greatly appreciated

thanks!
Axle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
J_W

I don't think the sir70fd is made in the US. Only the pickups are, more than likely they are made in Korea or indonesia and the Prestige which is made in Japan is going to be better by a large margin. Personally I hate RG's with pickguards though. There are better looking Prestige models out there.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
DarthV

Not a fan of the pick guards either, but there's always the rg1421f. The blue flame maple finish one looks awesome! I'm sure the Indo/Malay shops are getting better, but I'd almost always choose the Prestige over any of the non MiJ guitars. I'd much rather buy a used Prestige at the same price, or usually lower, than a new Premium (and by extension a new Iron Label). But that's me.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
miio

You probably won't notice any difference between the build quality of those two guitars. Since I own the RG1451 and it's a great guitar I can only recommend that. But man, doesn't that other one sound good with the dimarzio pups it comes with. I don't know man, maybe I'd go for the sir one now if I had to choose. Hard decisions mate, hard decisions.
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Axle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
I don't think the sir70fd is made in the US. Only the pickups are, more than likely they are made in Korea or indonesia and the Prestige which is made in Japan is going to be better by a large margin. Personally I hate RG's with pickguards though. There are better looking Prestige models out there.

I've never played an rg with a pickgaurd, is it really that bad ? if worse comes to worse can i just remove the pickgaurd ? Yeah, the only other prestige with a fixed bridge is around 2k which is out of my budget .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV
Not a fan of the pick guards either, but there's always the rg1421f. The blue flame maple finish one looks awesome! I'm sure the Indo/Malay shops are getting better, but I'd almost always choose the Prestige over any of the non MiJ guitars. I'd much rather buy a used Prestige at the same price, or usually lower, than a new Premium (and by extension a new Iron Label). But that's me.

i can't find the 1421f , cheers for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miio
You probably won't notice any difference between the build quality of those two guitars. Since I own the RG1451 and it's a great guitar I can only recommend that. But man, doesn't that other one sound good with the dimarzio pups it comes with. I don't know man, maybe I'd go for the sir one now if I had to choose. Hard decisions mate, hard decisions.

why would you go for the sir ? why not just change the pickups in the 1451 lol ? yeah, hopefully one of the music stores around here gets some of the sir70s in stock soon.

Cheers for the help everyone!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
J_W

There is nothing wrong with a pickguard, I just don't like the look of them is all.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #7
lesliechen
Banned

bump!
lesliechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #8
miio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle1

why would you go for the sir ? why not just change the pickups in the 1451 lol ? yeah, hopefully one of the music stores around here gets some of the sir70s in stock soon.

Cheers for the help everyone!

Basically just to save the $$$
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Axle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliechen
bump!

lol why bump it ?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
im_atheist
UG's Ibanez Expert

I'd go with the Iron Label personally, I love an S series with a Tone Zone in the bridge

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
im_atheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:15 AM   #11
unco_no1

I own the SIR70FD and love it to bits. I'm still new so any guitar is like 8====D for me.

There is one con and it might just be with mine (I'm yet to take it back for the second time as they found nothing wrong/couldn't replicate the problem I had) where the Tone switch had a bad connector and sometimes I'd either lose all output from the guitar or it would work at like 10% so a muffled buzz came out.

In the last week I've found that it is def the tone switch, sometimes if I knock it adjacent to the way that it freely moves.... (think of the way you would bend the tone switch if someone said "BEND THIS SHIT").... if I knock it in that direction I lose sound. Apart from that it is so comfortable. I feel so relaxed with it compared to the ridiculous Kerry King styled BC Rich I had before.
unco_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #12
bobafettacheese

I'm sure after a year the choice has been made by TS, nice necro bump though.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: