Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
tsg31t

Cabinet help/recommendations

So i found a pre-owned Peavey 6505+ head, so far pretty happy with it but I'm in the need of a good 4x12 cabinet. (for hardcore metal) Was looking at but hearing mixed reviews about the 6505 cab. So i'm trying to figure out what I am going to want, and wondering what any recommendations would be. I've been hearing the Mesa over sized cabs are the most popular for metal, but it's seeming like some guys are liking different speakers in them. , currently I am playing through my line-6 412vs cab with the china Celestion V-30's in it and i keep wanting to add more low end, but I am unable to get it. I'm all the way up with the low, got the mids dropped way out, and just a bit of high end...

What are some recommend for a cabinet knowing that i'd be looking for some deep low end...Any brand. And do I want Celestion v-30s for this application?

Thanks
tsg31t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg31t
So i found a pre-owned Peavey 6505+ head, so far pretty happy with it but I'm in the need of a good 4x12 cabinet. (for hardcore metal) Was looking at but hearing mixed reviews about the 6505 cab. So i'm trying to figure out what I am going to want, and wondering what any recommendations would be. I've been hearing the Mesa over sized cabs are the most popular for metal, but it's seeming like some guys are liking different speakers in them. , currently I am playing through my line-6 412vs cab with the china Celestion V-30's in it and i keep wanting to add more low end, but I am unable to get it. I'm all the way up with the low, got the mids dropped way out, and just a bit of high end...

What are some recommend for a cabinet knowing that i'd be looking for some deep low end...Any brand. And do I want Celestion v-30s for this application?

Thanks

My friend had a mesa roadking cab with Greenbacks in it. And he also ran a 6505 through it and it was pretty killer. Mesa or 1960B would be my suggestion from personal expierence. You could also try Orange cab's with them. THat could be cool.

Speakers i love doing two different kinds and blending. V30/Greeback is cool and Swamp Thang/Texas Heat from Eminence. But again thats me personally.

You may look at something diff. But try blending speakers dont always depend on just the cab for your sound.Speakers do alot more than what ya give em credit. You may get some neat tones that way. Good luck.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

I would try researching some speakers and swapping out. People seem to really like an x-pattern. So keep two of the v30s in there, and put in two bass-heavy speakers and try that. Much cheaper than buying a new cab.
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
ChrisBW

Change your EQ dude. If you drop your mids too much you end up taking out a large amount of low end. Stick the mids at least at 3 or 4... I usually have B:3 M:6 H:4 and there's plenty of bass. I've got a Mesa 4x12 with V30s.

I've also got a Krankenstein cab with Texas Heats, if you're used to V30s, it'll make your amp seem 100% more metal. Huge low end too.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

Thanks

if you want more low end you could try swapping two of the v30s for classic leads. or even g12t75s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
if you want more low end you could try swapping two of the v30s for classic leads. or even g12t75s.

G12T75's are my Fav Celstions but they may not get that low end he is looking for. There more mid happy. Hell those EV Zakk Wylde's are insane Low end. Might be a bit to much though.
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburritt1
G12T75's are my Fav Celstions but they may not get that low end he is looking for. There more mid happy. Hell those EV Zakk Wylde's are insane Low end. Might be a bit to much though.

I'm very happy with sound that my G12T75's provide, it isn't muddy, I'd recommend them definitely for metal. The Zakk Wylde signature EVs do handle a lot more than that though... They're a lot more expensive too. I've seen a few good ol' England made Celestion G12T75's on the used market here in Finland, waiting to have some spare money to grab them.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakke
I'm very happy with sound that my G12T75's provide, it isn't muddy, I'd recommend them definitely for metal. The Zakk Wylde signature EVs do handle a lot more than that though... They're a lot more expensive too. I've seen a few good ol' England made Celestion G12T75's on the used market here in Finland, waiting to have some spare money to grab them.

Oh i would never say that there muddy. But when i here someone say i need more lowend and they have a 6505 i think like Mick Thompson Slipknot chuggin heavyness!!!!! But i had them in a 1960A in combo with my BV120H (2004) edition and i rocked that for 5years. Regret selling (long alcholic story) but hey i love my new rig.

BUt if i had to choose a Celestion it would be a the 75's for sure. I prefer Eminence for some reason. They just rule! And there cheaper to!
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

It might sound like a weird combo, but try a V30 with a Eminence Cannabis Rex.

Thats what I'm using in my mesa 212. I'm running my JCA50H though that cab, and I can get some pretty insane low end.

I find the V30 is very mid-rich, while the C-Rex polishes the harsh top end, and adds the low end boom. I think they speakers blend very well.

Thats just my .02
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115

Last edited by red.guitar : 02-21-2013 at 07:09 PM.
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.guitar
It might sound like a weird combo, but try a V30 with a Eminence Cannabis Rex.

Thats what I'm using in my mesa 212. I'm running my JCA50H though that cab, and I can get some pretty insane low end.

I find the V30 is very mid-rich, while the C-Rex polishes the harsh top end, and adds the low end boom. I think they speakers blend very well.

Thats just my .02

Could be fun. I hear cannibas is real popular.....
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
lesliechen
Banned

My friend had a mesa roadking cab with Greenbacks in it. And he also ran a 6505 through it and it was pretty killer. Mesa or 1960B would be my suggestion from personal expierence. You could also try Orange cab's with them. THat could be cool.
lesliechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #12
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

V30+K100=secks

seriously that is the way to go. IMO cabs don't make as an extreme difference as the speakers that are in them. i have a mesa cab with (now) 4 K100's. i have an old beat up peavey cab with K85's (identical to K100's) with a quad of K100's and there really isn't much difference, not worth dropping $500 on a mesa cab over what you have. IMO.

i also have an avatar that now has 2EVH sigs and two V30's. the EVH sigs will probably swapping with my orange cab's V30's so the EVH's are alone.

but i would go for K100/V30.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
ikey_

dont forget WGS speakers.

and yeah dont drop mids that much. they will also make the other frequencies less audible as well, so as the other guy stated - dropping mids all the way out will hurt your high and and bass as well.

your also going to sound dull in the mix and have to over compensate with volume and 4x12 cab, etc.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

g12t75s are pretty scooped, no? but i agree they don't have the massive low-end of more modern-style speakers- they do have more than a v30, though.

classic lead would be better. or maybe g12k100 (haven't tried that one, that's why i forgot about it ).

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
tsg31t

Thanks for all the suggestions...Appreciate it..

Just curious...No one has mentioned the 6505 cabinet with the Sheffields in it...Why aren't people liking this cab? I've head this cab has some tight low end...
tsg31t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions...Appreciate it..

Just curious...No one has mentioned the 6505 cabinet with the Sheffields in it...Why aren't people liking this cab? I've head this cab has some tight low end...

Because there are better cabs out there and it has sheffields in it that should be burned at the stake alive
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
g12t75s are pretty scooped, no? but i agree they don't have the massive low-end of more modern-style speakers- they do have more than a v30, though.

classic lead would be better. or maybe g12k100 (haven't tried that one, that's why i forgot about it ).

Yeah your right they are scooped but harldly any lowend. Have a bit more "sizzle" than the 30's.

G12K100 would be the best fit for what he is looking for from Celestion by far. Good call i forgot about that guy to!
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Take a look at Whitebox Cabs. You can pick your own speakers, toltex cover, grill cloth, piping, etc., etc.
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Yeah your right they are scooped but harldly any lowend. Have a bit more "sizzle" than the 30's.

G12K100 would be the best fit for what he is looking for from Celestion by far. Good call i forgot about that guy to!

i thought they had a bit more bass than a v30. then again, a v30 has hardly any bass, so "more than a v30" doesn't necessarily mean "tons of bass"

but yeah out of what i've tried, the classic lead would work. i haven't tried the g12k100, but supposedly it'd work too (maybe even better than the CL80).

Quote:

Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguitarist
Take a look at Whitebox Cabs. You can pick your own speakers, toltex cover, grill cloth, piping, etc., etc.

ooohhh and Avatar i hear there awesome to! I will check this Whitebox from which you speak of.....and this material of toltex....interesting
Epiphone Prophecy

Rate This Thread: