Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Will23guitar

My story: how I got fast at alternate picking!

I just wanted to share my experience because maybe it will help some people and I think it is so cool!

I've played guitar for about 3 and a half years. About a year ago, though, I wanted to start seriously improving my speed. I find it interesting that my guitar playing speed really improved only because of a few specific songs, not because of a general interest in shredding. The one that got my picking speed up was really: Fade to Black. Yes, Fade to Black. Not the hard solo, the intro solo! It was that one part, the fast little lick in the middle of the slow intro solo, that really bugged me. So, this along with some other songs (some of them that I wrote yet couldn't really play!) got me practicing alternate picking.

And so I started using a metronome that was built-in to my effects pedal thing (it's called G2, I LOVE it). But months went by and I couldn't get any faster at all. It was a dead end. I was completely baffled. Then it all just clicked, it all changed because of this stupid discovery: I SUCKED at upstrokes! I found an article online, I think it was on "ultimate-guitar" if I remember right, that talked about upstrokes being neglected. This is how I found it out...I needed to practice those! It just sorta slapped me in the face.

Sure enough, I couldn't upstroke worth shit. So, starting at a very, very, painfully slow speed (AKA as fast as I could go), I started working away at improving my wrist muscles. And I found out, as my upstrokes got faster, my alternate picking just miraculously got better just the same amount.

Now, I've pretty much doubled my picking speed, and went from playing AC/DC riffs to shredding Megadeth and Crazy Train! All from upstrokes. Well, I practiced straight up alternate picking a little, but it was amazing how much my picking speed improved just from doing upstrokes every day.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Cool
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Cool story bro, but you're not saying anything that I believe warrants this thread remain open. Really, you're just reiterating what has been said countless times before. There's information on how to practice in the stickies. We don't need more.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Cool story bro, but you're not saying anything that I believe warrants this thread remain open. Really, you're just reiterating what has been said countless times before. There's information on how to practice in the stickies. We don't need more.

You could be right about the thread but, why is it so important for people here to have a thread closed? Would it really bother you if this thread remained open?

Thanks for sharing 23.
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVeye
You could be right about the thread but, why is it so important for people here to have a thread closed? Would it really bother you if this thread remained open?

Thanks for sharing 23.

It wouldn't bother me if it stayed open, but there really wouldn't be a point. Guaranteed, within a week this thread will be pushed back to about page 5. Perhaps farther. And then maybe 3 years later or so some random newbie will resurrect it for no reason other than to say something like "great post" and then it'll disappear again. Simply put, threads like this don't stay active for long.

Plus, I'm not entirely convinced that TS isn't a spambot or something, considering that he's been a member for 2 weeks and hasn't posted anything other than this thread. Most people who actually want to be part of the UG community join to either ask questions, or answer questions. Rarely, if at all, do they join just to post a success story.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Sorry but this just looks like clever spam to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: