Search:

Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
dethinatedoom

Can you spot the problems? (video)

This is me and my problem:

This video is a reply too a technique instruction video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GnA...79C1564&index=5

Let me know what you tink

Last edited by dethinatedoom : 02-21-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: video links are forbidden
dethinatedoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Links don't work, try again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
dethinatedoom

i never knew about forbidden links, im going to read up more on that.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
ColdTheory

First, the pain in your tendons could be an early sign of carpal tunnel. If you think about it, all the guitarists you named never had computers/video games growing up so it wasn't such a big thing. I've been noticing a little pain when I play and it turns out that I do have it. With thin neck guitars your not stretching your hand like you're used to and its irritating those tendons.

Secondly, I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years now and I've rarely needed to use my thumb for any song. Unless you have long fingers and can find a comfortable way to hold your guitar I wouldn't worry too much about it.

This is just a suggestion and don't take it the wrong way. If you've been playing "Flat Fingered" for some time and you've switched techniques, perhaps you should slow down and erase that from your muscle memory completely; you could still be doing it and not even notice.

I also teach guitar and the biggest thing I tell my students, whether it's chords or tabs, if it doesn't feel comfortable try doing it another way. It sounds elementary but every time I learn a new song it's always going through my head.

You sound great, I love your guitar, and you kind of remind me of Brett from Fuel. Rock on dude.
ColdTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
shreddymcshred

your guitar neck is at too shallow of an angle. it should be at 45 degrees. this will free your wrist up a bit and won't require it to stick out so far forward. I am certain this is the problem. the easiest way to achieve this angle is standing and playing with a strap or sitting with the lower bout between your legs.

Your thumb should not stick up over the neck. if you let it stick out sometimes and not others then you must master both positions AND switching between the two.

The issue is not the guitar.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
dethinatedoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdTheory
You sound great, I love your guitar, and you kind of remind me of Brett from Fuel. Rock on dude.

Thank you! I love my guitar to. I love the tabacco burst ever since i saw dethklok live, seeing Smalls use a 70's explorer with a tabacoo burst used death metal broke my boundaries. The color with the bad ass body is interestingly ironic. Like fireside chat that segways without warning into death metal. It was too factory for me so I doodled with a sharpie and laid down some heavy acrylic paint to give it some soul. I dont play video games anymore, i try to keep music at 100%. Thank you for the compliments!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
dethinatedoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddymcshred
your guitar neck is at too shallow of an angle. it should be at 45 degrees. this will free your wrist up a bit and won't require it to stick out so far forward. I am certain this is the problem. the easiest way to achieve this angle is standing and playing with a strap or sitting with the lower bout between your legs.

Your thumb should not stick up over the neck. if you let it stick out sometimes and not others then you must master both positions AND switching between the two.

The issue is not the guitar.

Hey yea! I never heard anything about the angle of the neck before. Im going to practice standing up and focus on the position of the guitar. Thanks for the tip mcshred!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
dethinatedoom

I'm frustrated with my posture. My wrist itches and when I reach for the 6th string my wrist HAS to curl. Can anyone help me?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Ok, you're obviously frustrated so firstly: go and do something else for a while. Forget about it for a few hours, maybe a few days if you have to but you're not going to achieve anything when you're getting irritated with yourself or the instrument. Seriously man, not trying to sound condescending or anything just find something else to do for a while to take your mind off it.

Secondly, bring your elbow further away from your body; your hand needs to approach the neck from a more perpendicular angle, basically so your wrist is almost directly behind your middle finger. Also it doesn't matter so much if your wrist is slightly bent, the most important thing is that it's as close to straight as possible. The relatively slight amount of bend you seem to have in your wrist there is alright because you're not making your tendons work through a horrible angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Hey man, thanks for the detailed videos and multiple angles. It makes posture a lot easier to work with. However - it can't substitute for working in person with a good guitar teacher. See if you can find a good local guitar teacher, it's an investment that goes beyond just posture.

With some of my students I've had to work with them for 30 minutes to get them comfortable, making lots of small adjustments and making sure each suits their physique and their guitar...

So take any advice online with a grain of salt. It's not that people are necessarily uninformed, it's that there are many limits on the accuracy of information both ways.

My video on the subject is here and it might help -

A couple of things that I could say to help you specifically -

Point your guitar away from you a little. Put fingers stretched out above 1234 and move the guitar around until your hand is comfortable.

The lowest string, first few frets is always tough to get comfortable. Depending on many factors, you may find it tougher than others. Don't "force" your hands and wrists to look like other players and don't overpractice things that are physically strenuous. If you know lots of chromatics on the low E are a problem for you, just avoid doing them and build strength and flexibility on the rest of the neck until they come easier.

Hope that helped.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Andy Pollow

That sucks you seem kinda pissed. Ive read some people that hate that wrist bend but play thumb behind the neck like to push their palm against the neck only playing the low E and A strings and then the palm comes away from the neck D - high E.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
shreddymcshred

Your head and shoulders form a 90 degree angle. your guitar neck should bisect that angle.

It is still too flat.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
cdgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethinatedoom

I'm frustrated with my posture. My wrist itches and when I reach for the 6th string my wrist HAS to curl. Can anyone help me?

What's your thumb doing? If you're hving trouble reaching all the way round to the low E string, I suspect your thumb is planted too firmly on the back on the neck.

let your left hand relax at the end of the fretboard with your index finger on the first fret, but not pressing down. Let your hand drape over the strings and let the thumb relax so it's closer to parallel with the neck, hugging it a little bit. That's your natural hand position, and it's the ideal position pretty much no matter what you're doing.

Try doing your warm up with the thumb completely off the neck. That will force you to find better angles for your arm and wrist.

Last edited by cdgraves : 02-22-2013 at 06:24 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Thought i had carpel tunnell to for a little while. then i heard that when you have it you have this nerve shooting pain down your arm, your hand freezes up solid and your hand can and will go numb. I looked at the doc and said no that aint me. Then he said well thats good but you do have artritus. DAMN!

Then you guys help me find some good posture vid's and found that it really makes a big diff for me. And i switched the Neck on my "Strat" Partscaster from the orginal "C" neck to a "V" neck and dear go it helped me out so much. And practicing standing was recomended to me. And to do warm ups (duh right) before you begin really getting into it.

Oh and wristbands to not let me arc my hand downward like you would doing a solo. ( i play classical style ) So i've adopted the Jimi and Paul Gilbert thumb over the board hand technique that you guys saved me with.

Aint nothing gonna stop me! Even if i do get carpel! (DONT FORGET ICE EITHER)
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ thumb over isn't the solution to your original problem, although it's a nice way to keep playing in the meantime. It's a different way of approaching the instrument and it has massive disadvantages as well as massive advantages.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
J_W

Your guitar face is epic.

That is all.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
^ thumb over isn't the solution to your original problem, although it's a nice way to keep playing in the meantime. It's a different way of approaching the instrument and it has massive disadvantages as well as massive advantages.

yes i agree its not a cure as much as it is a comfort thing. And yes it does limit me a bit but to me it doesnt matter. I've been a lead player since i started and been in bands my entire playing career im not out to impress anybody. (Ive dropped enough panties with my playing ) but im married so im good. JK!!!!!!!!!

Havent gone to the extreme as to go get professional help for playing but not far from it.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
shreddymcshred

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
and let the thumb relax so it's closer to parallel with the neck, hugging it a little bit. That's your natural hand position

A thousand times no. The thumb should be perpendicular to the neck. If the thumb is parallel, the thumb will be behind the fingers causing the fingers to lose flexibility and reach. The thumb will also fall behind the fingers causing more trouble when shifting, and the hand will rest on the neck causing difficulty playing on the treble strings.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #19
SSMMUURRFF69
Banned

Quote:
and let the thumb relax so it's closer to parallel with the neck, hugging it a little bit. That's your natural hand position

Yeah thats it - get cuddly with it. There is lots of natural positions. You can also play without your thumb on the neck. But rock guitar players arent that coordinated.
SSMMUURRFF69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #20
cdgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddymcshred
A thousand times no. The thumb should be perpendicular to the neck. If the thumb is parallel, the thumb will be behind the fingers causing the fingers to lose flexibility and reach. The thumb will also fall behind the fingers causing more trouble when shifting, and the hand will rest on the neck causing difficulty playing on the treble strings.

You don't need your hand in spider mode all the time. The idea is to find the natural, relaxed position that gives you full range of motion. If you're relaxed, your thumb will do whatever it needs to when the time comes.

If you have big hands perpendicular is actually sort of a strain. For me, it means tucking my thumb in and dropping my wrist, which is all kinds of funny angles and unnecessary tension. My grip is best with the thumb around 45 relative to the neck.

Last edited by cdgraves : 02-24-2013 at 01:11 AM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: