Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
hatchet_job

Question Using an amp head with my Peavey Vypyr

Is there any reason why I could not put a speaker input jack on these two 12's that are already inside my Vypyr? I don't mean to run two at once of course. I just would like to use the Vypyr as a speaker cabinet for other amp heads. I am not sure of the parallel/series wiring. The speakers are 8 ohm, but are they hooked up in series here or parallel? The amp says it puts out 8 ohms on the back panel too.
hatchet_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Do you want to be able use the Vypyr as is again or are you going to make a cab out of it permenantly?

Anyway free bump. I'm not the most technical but if the answer is to make a cab out of it then unhook the speaker wires from the amp chassis (carefully) and convert that into a 1/4 jack (tip/sleeve) to plug into the head.

From what I can see on the speaker on the left each speaker is 8 ohms. So the amp undoubtedly (without checking) is running at 16 ohms total (series). I believe that 8 ohm indicator you see on the amp is for an optional extension cab. My Vypyr 60 is the same way.

So...I 'think' you would plug those speakers into a 16 ohm output on amp.

I need a bit more info though and reevaluate things when sober.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 02-23-2013 at 03:01 AM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
Deadpool_25

Yeah those are in series. Two 8 ohm speakers in series is 16 ohms. Whatever head you use should have a 16 ohm switch on the back. Use that.

And the amp doesn't "put out" 8 ohms. It is, perhaps, saying that it needs a minimum 8 ohm load. Not sure without seeing the label you're talking about. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel is 4 ohms. Don't use parallel with those speakers unless whatever head you're using is okay with a 4 ohm load.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 02-23-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

although his pic does kind of look like parallel

but that would lend a 4 ohm load - which I doubt that amp would run

i know my Vypyr 60 112 runs a 16 ohm speaker but has an 8 ohm speaker cab tap so I'm assuming that if you plug in an external cab it leaves the internal speaker on - hence an 8 ohm load total if you plugged in a 16 ohm cab. Hell I don't even know what I'm talking about now. Need to get the manuals out and search on the peavey.com web site. You can't trust their manuals anyway.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Looks parallel.

You can do what you are after- split the wiring with a jack.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #6
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Is this a Vypyr 100?

I just checked the manual and the extension cab is only available on the 60 and the 120.

^ yeah it does look like it is in parallel
Old 02-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
acosta11
Banned

Do you want to be able use the Vypyr as is again or are you going to make a cab out of it permenantly?
acosta11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
hatchet_job

Wow, first let me apologize for not responding sooner. I somehow "lost" this thread, and did not find it again until today. Thank you for the info and replies. I am going to have to get this straight so I don't ruin my Randall tube amp trying to connect it to the Vypyr's speakers, which are 8 ohms each.

Last edited by hatchet_job : 04-02-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
hatchet_job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool_25
Yeah those are in series. Two 8 ohm speakers in series is 16 ohms. Whatever head you use should have a 16 ohm switch on the back. Use that.

And the amp doesn't "put out" 8 ohms. It is, perhaps, saying that it needs a minimum 8 ohm load. Not sure without seeing the label you're talking about. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel is 4 ohms. Don't use parallel with those speakers unless whatever head you're using is okay with a 4 ohm load.

I think you are mistaken here, if the pictures are accurate then the speakers are wired in parallel. Which if I am not mistaken means a 4 ohm load?
Now I guess my main question is why does my Vypyr say 8 ohms on the back of the amp unit but is going into two speakers that makes a 4 ohm load???

Last edited by hatchet_job : 04-02-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

That's just the way Vypyrs are. I'm pretty sure my 112 has a 16 ohm speaker but the speaker out for external cabinet is 8 ohms

I think it might be because the Vypyr Cabinet they sell is 8 ohms but that is just a guess. But yeah, the internal speakers will disconnected if you plug in an external cab. There are some mods though for the Vypyrs and most of them are posted on the Peavey.com forum.

Rate This Thread: