Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
iron_maiden93

Hagstrom Swede as an upgrade

So I brought my pacifica into the shop the other day to get the wiring redone (thinking my pup switch was faulty) and intonation fixed. However, it appears as though my pickups are actually just pooched and my neck angle is off, so the shop quoted me with a repair bill of ~200$. Which, for a ~300$ guitar, is certainly not worth it. While it's still okay to dick around with (one of pickups still works) I am really looking into getting a new guitar and my parents have offered to help pay.

After some browsing in a local shop I came across a Hagstrom Swede and was instantly wowed by the sound and tones available. I am just wondering if anyone has experience with Hagstrom guitars and could offer any insight. They get fairly good reviews on Musician's Friend and I'm seriously considering picking one up as my new guitar.

As far as what I want a guitar to be able to play is anything from jazz/ambient noise, to dirty/fuzzed out rock and sloppy slide. Do you think a Hagstrom Swede is up to that task?

If not,what other guitars would you recommend? My budget is about 600-700$.

Tl;dr Are Hagstrom Swede's nice midrange (in regards to price) guitar's?
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2
Montana Acoustic Guitar(Martin Regular)
iron_maiden93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
progdude93
Banned

I think a Hagstrom definitely suits your needs, but I have a personal bias against buying new guitars. If you find a high-quality used guitar in good condition, it'll work just as well, last just as long, and be much more awesome than a new guitar that you overpaid for. That's just how I look at it. I bought a new guitar once. And then used guitars seven times. I regret nothing but the new purchase.

Anyway, I'd go for a used Gretsch. A Hagstrom is definitely a nice choice, but a nice semihollow Gretsch would be perfect for you. Also try looking for separate bodies and necks on ebay, because they'll be great value.

Best choice, though (IMO): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Wi...=item3ccf13ba2f
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_maiden93
As far as what I want a guitar to be able to play is anything from jazz/ambient noise, to dirty/fuzzed out rock and sloppy slide. Do you think a Hagstrom Swede is up to that task?

If not,what other guitars would you recommend? My budget is about 600-700$.

Tl;dr Are Hagstrom Swede's nice midrange (in regards to price) guitar's?

Hagstrom Swedes are a petty good option. Decent quality, good looking, and personally, I like the way they feel in my hands.

The Gretsch suggestion is also a good idea- they've been used for all of that. In a similar vein, look at semihollow/hollowbody Epiphones (WildKats, Dots, etc.) and Ibanez Artcores.

To that, I'll add that you should look at new/used:

1) DBZ Imperials or Royales- thin-bodied guitars with a semi-355 body shape- the Imperial has the bigger body and has a Bigsby as an option
http://www.dbzguitars.com/guitars/e...guitar/imperial
http://www.dbzguitars.com/guitars/e...c-guitar/royale

2) most of Reverend's models, but mainly Flatrocs, Club Kings, Manta Rays, or the Sensei. The Double Agent, with a bridge HB and a neck P90 might also appeal.
http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-22-2013 at 03:55 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
AztecStatue
On a Perennial Quest

If you like the Hagstrom, get it. They are quality guitars which play great. The necks on the chinese models are very thin and fast.
AztecStatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Love my Ultra and it's apparently the bottom of their line.
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
iron_maiden93

Thanks guys, I definitely dig the idea of a Gretsch, but I'm not sure how easy finding a playable one for a decent price around where I live would be. I say that because I'm a little wary of ordering a guitar online.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2
Montana Acoustic Guitar(Martin Regular)
iron_maiden93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
GuitarBijoy

I bought a black Hagstrom Swede last year. The build quality and woods are way better than Epis the the same price range. The only part that is a bit of a let down is the hardware. All in all Im happy with my purchase.
GuitarBijoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

What was the hardware problem?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
deadsmileyface
so very radical

Yeah, I would say go for it. Those are pretty solid guitars.
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: