Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
Rlx160

Cool Pull off technique

Hello, i have been practicing Dream Theater's wither solo for a while now, and theres a part in the end with really fast pull offs, and i've been trying to master it for a while now and i just cant get it right, could someone explain to me how i'm supposed to do this?
I'm not sure if i should lift my second finger off the 12 fret, because if i do it makes abit of noise and ruins it, but its kinda hard to do the pulloffs with the finger on the 12 fret, also my 4th finger lands on the side at the 15 fret and the pulloffs sound kinda lame, is that a stretch issue?
Rlx160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

I don't know the solo, but if you want some general pulloff tips (as this sounds like a general pulloffs problem), try practising pulling off to an open string on the high E string. The goals are to:

1. Remain relaxed
2. Make sure the pulloffs are loud and clear
3. Don't pull the string off the fretboard

It's very possible, and so many people fall into the trap of pulling the string off the fretboard, making this really nasty sound. If you're able to do this, it will clear up your pulloffs in general no end.

I saw a video a while ago on YouTube of "And So I Watch You From Afar" playing "Search:Party:Animal" and it's full of him pulling the string off the fretboard. It sounds nasty.

I was playing rocksmith the other day (think what you will, personally I think it's a lot of fun) and was playing the solo on "6AM Salvation". It's not a particularly hard solo, but at the beginning of it there are a lot of pulloffs on the high E string. I noticed that after spending some time learning the solo on the riff repeater, my pulloffs in general were a lot better. They weren't bad in the first place but I noticed a definite improvement after this.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.

Last edited by llBlackenedll : 02-22-2013 at 07:57 AM.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
AndyGray
UG Addict

LOL, pull off.

Anyway, this technique is really good at building up your finger strength. You should be able to get faster and faster with it too.

6p5-6p5-6p5-6p5-7p5-7p5-7p5-7p5-8p5-8p5-8p5-8p5-9p5-9p5-9p5-9p5-
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Rlx160

Thanks for the tips, should i move my thumb to the middle of the back of the fretboard?
Because my 4th finger is at an angle when i hit the string and it makes it harder..
Rlx160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
AndyGray
UG Addict

Yes, do whatever is more comfortable & sounds good.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGray
LOL, pull off.

Anyway, this technique is really good at building up your finger strength. You should be able to get faster and faster with it too.

6p5-6p5-6p5-6p5-7p5-7p5-7p5-7p5-8p5-8p5-8p5-8p5-9p5-9p5-9p5-9p5-

So if you change that to

Code:
E 6p0-6p0-6p0-6p0-7p0-7p0-7p0-7p0-8p0-8p0-8p0-8p0-9p0-9p0-9p0-9p0- B ---------------------------------------------------------------- G ---------------------------------------------------------------- D ---------------------------------------------------------------- A ---------------------------------------------------------------- E ----------------------------------------------------------------

...it's suddenly harder. But it will force your left hand to perform pull-offs properly and will help you gain more control over exactly what your fingers are doing. If you can get a good clean pull of doing that you can get a good clean pull off anywhere.

The reason it's harder is (as I said above) a lot of people seem to pull the string off the fretboard. If you do the same thing but on a different string, or pull off to a fretted note, you won't know whether or not your current technique pulls you off the fretboard or not meaning that when you do come to do it you're screwed. The reason you're more likely to come off the fretboard pulling off to 0 (rather than a fretted note) is that the note you're pulling off to will be fretted and the finger that's fretting it will resist the force of you pulling downwards.

Doing this properly will clean up your pull offs in general. In answer to your other question - I find that keeping your thumb directly behind the neck helps a lot with legato. Some people do it with angled fingers (and probably the side of their index finger compressed into the underside of the neck) but you'll find that that gives you less control, even if it does initially feel more comfortable.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.

Last edited by llBlackenedll : 02-22-2013 at 12:00 PM.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: