Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
MentaLrz
Death MentaL

[Video][C4C] Blackjack - Home made metal!

Check it out, hope you guys like. All written, played and produced by myself. Thanks.
MentaLrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
MentaLrz
Death MentaL

Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
collinmasteller

that was ****in awsome! i really liked the clean parts
collinmasteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
MentaLrz
Death MentaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinmasteller
that was ****in awsome! i really liked the clean parts

appreciated kind sir
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
face_the_fear

The riffs are awesome! Great playing!

I think If you took some top end to get rid of the fizz the tone would sound amazing.

The drums sound really good but the cymbals are way too compressed sounding to me. Are you compressing the whole drumkit with one compressor? If so then send all of your drum outputs to a separate bus but leave the cymbals off of it.
face_the_fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
MentaLrz
Death MentaL

yep, indeed. I'll have to sort my superior out soon for the next track.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
swashbuckle50

Critting as I listen, the lead sounds amazing, i love it.
The string skipping main riff has an overpowering high end to the palm muting and the other notes are really quiet for some reason.
That heavy part near 3 mins could be super deadly too. I really think you just need to find a tone with better definition... keep that lead tone though, its killer. Same with the cleans.. gorgeous.
Good job man.
swashbuckle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
NelsonSFS

sweet track dude! that lead tone is to die for! just cut at 10k to cut off the fizz on the rhytmm tone and you're golden, i love the clean transitions personally! great stuff keep up the good work! C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1585377
NelsonSFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
MentaLrz
Death MentaL

Hey doods.

I do cut the highs but I try to keep some of it as I like it! I scoop the mids ever so lighly. Appreciate all the inputs!
much love.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Aaron!!
nil desperandum

Much like your unfamiliarity with my sound I'm pretty shit when it comes to metal aha. But I have to say your production is sick, and that lead tone is just the bomb. Also the clean bit is awesome too. I wish I could play guitar as well as you

Needless to say that's why I use synths and not guitars

Thanks.
Aaron!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
salamander121
Drummer

Cheers for the crit man.

All mixed really well - you've got a great sounding guitar especially for the high lead tones and the clean tones. Only thing I could say is that the rhythm parts lack a bit of meat to them, possibly due to the high mids? I'm not sure on this one but either way it's not like it's unbearable or anything.

Besides that it sounds great man, keep it up.

My solo stuff: Finlay Cable (Soundcloud)
salamander121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
pinguinpanic

Reading as I listen. Sounds very good so far not much to comment. Very brootal, in your face. Perhaps the lead is a bit too loud it sounds a bit too present. Or well a bit, much to present, perhaps some lower volume and some reverb to glue it more in there, just some fiddling arround in general. The cleans are classy sounds good, really liked the sound. The solo is very classy sounds good. The music itself is very refreshing, sounds very fresh to my ears which have already heard a lot. Solos and things at 3:40 are very cool. Pretty much everything so far sounds really good mix wise/song wise. That lick at 3:54 doesn't really fit in my opinion, it sounds like a stray pentatonic hardrock riff that got stuck in there and doesn't really fit. At 4:28 currently still everything sounds cool, but again at 4:41 there's like this stray more generic hardrockish riff shortly that altough cool is not near as cool as the other ideas you throwh arround, but that's more of a luxury problem I guess. Your other riffs are that cool that some things seem a bit less in comparison. I liked the part at 5:58 very much.

Killer mix, killer song and some really refreshing ideas. My only advice would be to try to glue in the lead tone a bit more mixwise. Song wise it's really good sets a nice mood and everything but occasionally there was like a bit of hardrock penatoticishm/too simple minor riffing coming through which was good still but I feel like you could do better. Did you perhaps write this song over a large period of time? Because that explain the difference in quality of the riffs. But still this difference in quality was like between good and realy good so nothing to worry about. So to sum up, rock on.
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
pinguinpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
MentaLrz
Death MentaL

I spent a period of 2 weeks writing it so well spotted. As for using minor ( i don't recall using pentatonic) the song is primarily using diminished/phrygian/algerian int he keys of e flat, b flat, a flat. Minor was used only for a small portion. I tried (emphasis on the word try) to mix a few ideas into a single track. I got some suttle key changes in there which worked well. It prob doesn't come across but a lot of the riffs are played and use some what awkward patterns to throw the player off. I tried to use a set pattern w/ variations to keep a flow but tried to separate it also if that makes sense? I guess it could sound generic but it wasn't played generic. Each riff had non standard patterns.

Appreciate the well thought out reply, it was very nice of you.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
BloodReverence

Alright man let's do this.

First riff is pretty cool, thrashy. I like it.
Second riff is more progressive but still thrashy as hell, still enjoying it.

I really think the guitar tone needs to be bigger on those parts.

Lead guitar comes in, it's reallyyy loud in comparison, maybe bring it down in the mix. Good riffs though.

Clean section is beautiful, well mixed, well composed, well executed. Good job!

Starts building up but the hit wasn't big enough imo. Get a bass drop or something in there to fatten it up and let it drag a bit more.

Solo was good, a bit boring though unfortunately.

Riff after is really intense, but not to my tastes. The random clean bit was cool, but didn't transition well to the solo.

Solo has some REALLY cool elements, I just think it's a bit rough around the edges in a few places. Really like the diminished work.

Repetition of the previous riffs, already established my thoughts on em.

Fade-out. Good song man, not 100% my style (some parts were too heavy for me) but well composed and pretty well executed.
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
MentaLrz
Death MentaL

thanks for the input.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
K!!LsWiTcH
Not a fan of KSE

not exactly my thing but tight man. good production too like your setup and sound a lot though. like the clean interlude good work
K!!LsWiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
MentaLrz
Death MentaL

appreciated.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
moostifur

I dig it hard dude. First off, production is very solid; really like your guitar tone. Phrasing was rad and I enjoyed when you would go in and out of 16th notes and 8th note triplets. Solos are well written and catchy. You transitioned from minor to harmonic minor to diminished flawlessly. That is definitely easier said than done, kudos. What really solidified this track for me was that crushingly heavy riff at 2:53. That's just some good, old school heavy shit right there. I wish I could give you something constructive, but I am really hard struck to find anything wrong with that track. Shred on.

If you have time I'd be stoked if you C4C'd my band's new tracks on my latest post:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1591297
moostifur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
lucascrouse

Shit is nice as hell man! Wish I could get my recordings to sound that good! C4C

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...64#post31183064
lucascrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #20
aaron aardvark

MentaLrz,
You have a good nose for music. Nice guitar playing, I think I liked the clean parts best. Now I want a dog biscuit. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1591556
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: