Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
GardenGnome26
UG's Lawn Ornament.

Old School Hip Hop - The Greatest (CRIT FOR CRIT)

Here's a stab at the beginning of a rap song. I know there's not much love for hip hop in these forums, so I appreciate any feedback I can get.

https://soundcloud.com/mc-koala-bear/the-greatest-1

Last edited by GardenGnome26 : 02-25-2013 at 06:45 PM.
GardenGnome26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
pinguinpanic

Writing as I listen
The intro sample is nice and really sets the mood. Really feeling the groove you start at 0:08 the bass sound and the drum sounds and everything are just perfect for this thing. And the "I am the greatest" sample really adds to the funk and sets the mood. The over dubs in lower voices and everything and samples in general really adds to the mood. Sounds really P-Funkish and I enjoyed the track. I normally don't listen to this type of music so my opinion is probably not worth much tough. Your voice has some nice flow too, really glues the things and keeps it together and adds some more funkyness. Which I think is what you're going for and it works great. I didn't really catch the lyrics too while paying attention to all the other stuff so not much comments on that.
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
pinguinpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
RCAlbright

I really like the bass line. The voice is really good too. Solid flow, fits the music perfectly. The overall sound sets a great mood. I didn't really like the sample in the very beginning, didn't really fit with the rest of the song; however it would fit well for a more angry style of hip hop (like some of NWA's songs). Clever lyrics, and I love that you don't swear in the song for filler. Add a few more verses and this will be golden. You might want to experiment with a few simple melodies over the whole track. I'm not sure how it would work, but it might be worth trying.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1589933
RCAlbright is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: