Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Templar0220

When hitting multiple strings with your pick...

First of all, I do not mean the pick angle in accordance to angle towards the headstock such as 45 degrees etc. What I mean is should your pick angle be more leaned forward (essentially the top of the pick leaning towards the ground, and the tip facing more upwards) and then the opposite with coming back up? Idk how to label this. What I mean is say with alternate picking 3 string power chords and palm muting, should you keep the pick completely even at all times, meaning no leaning forward with downstrokes or tilting up on upstrokes? Of course while still maintaining the turning 45 degrees. With strumming it seems it would make sense to switch direction, as if your flicking a match. But with actually alternate (and down picking) should your pick be even to the strings and striking them that way? This is hard for me to explain so forgive me.. I kind of asked this question a few months back but I didnt really get a clear answer. Once again, what im referring to is the actual angle of the tilting down and up, i dont mean titling as in turning the pick to an angle of 45 degrees, I already know this. Thanks!
Templar0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

well if you get the right grip down you dont have to really angle at all, it will angle right on impact. I use really heavy picks usually around 2mm, so there is zero give in the pick when hitting the strings so i keep a balanced grip...not tight, not loose, just enough so that the strokes will push the pick either up or down etc. but for the most part im holding the pick straight when hitting the strings on the beginning of the impact etc...

Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf : 02-27-2013 at 09:10 PM.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
Templar0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltTheWerewolf
well if you get the right grip down you dont have to really angle at all, it will angle right on impact. I use really heavy picks usually around 2mm, so there is zero give in the pick when hitting the strings so i keep a balanced grip...not tight, not loose, just enough so that the strokes will push the pick either up or down etc. but for the most part im holding the pick straight when hitting the strings on the beginning of the impact etc...

Ok I understand, so then do you mean AFTER the impact your pick may tilt downward or upward?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar0220
Ok I understand, so then do you mean AFTER the impact your pick may tilt downward or upward?

ya, thats usually how it works for me, now if im using any crunch i tend to dig in hard at a downward angle.

basically give your pick grip enough room for the pick to move a little, doesnt need to move that much to get along the strings...for softer attack you can loosen up the grip etc.

thats just how i do things and it works for me
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Templar0220

Thank you very much!

Rate This Thread: