Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
ChristianRock_

Looking for a new guitar - Thought you guys could help

Hello! I am currently looking for a guitar. My budget is $250-300 (willing to go used).
It's going to be used for my church's praise team as well as some small gigs me and my friends do.
I've narrowed down my choices to these guitars:
-Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (If i can find one around $250. Sadly, I've had no luck.)
-Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom or Custom II
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster (2012 Edition)
-Squier Standard Telecaster
-Squier Affinity Telecaster
-Fender MiM Standard Telecaster (if I can find one around $250. No luck so far.)
-PRS SE Singlecut/Tremonti/245/Custom (ive seen a couple go for 275)

If it helps, i live in the Tampa Bay area in Florida.

I would be playing stuff such as this in the praise team:

aster songs
- Break Free by Hillsong
- What The World Will Never Take by Hillsong
- Everlasting God by Lincoln Brewster

Slower songs
- One Thing Remains by Jesus Culture
- Hosanna by Hillsong
- Glory Defined by Building 429

Stuff I'd play on gigs vary from stuff like:
- Awake And Alive by Skillet
To
- Your Love Never Fails by Newsboys

I currently use my friend's gibson les paul but I am not a fan of the les paul body shape or the way it feels in my hands. Yet I like the way a PRS SE Singlecut feels.... I guess im weird.

Not too much of a fan of Stratocasters. I played with some MiMs at Guitar Center but the way the volume and tone knobs are positioned, i keep hitting them when i strum hard or pick fast. Maybe its just my failure at proper guitar techniques, but yeah.

TL;DR? Help me choose a guitar for my praise team. Strats and Les Pauls are not my thing.

I'll provide more info if needed. Thanks!

Last edited by ChristianRock_ : 02-24-2013 at 01:20 AM.
ChristianRock_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
SteveHOC
Used Register

Hmm, those links don't work. I would just say steer clear of the Squier Affinity series, but that's just my initial thought.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
ChristianRock_

Sorry, i'm doing this on my phone right now. I guess it doesnt want to show the youtube links :/
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

edit: not necessarily, nevermind.

a used Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified tele are the only ones I would buy. I own (well sort of) a Vintage Modified (I swapped pups, bridge, neck, everything - it isn't the same guitar anymore) but when i had it it was a decent guitar.

A guitar center near me (in Farmer's Branch, TX) has a Fender Modern Player telecaster for $279.99. It has a middle single coil, a neck single coil (for Lincoln Brewster) and a humbucker in the bridge for a fat arpeggio and rhythm tone.

I really recommend that.

Last edited by ihartfood : 02-24-2013 at 01:28 AM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Simple Jack
Acoustics = top kindling

If you're going to be playing Skillet (great band) you prob want something with a humbucker in the bridge. PRS sounds like the way to go, altho to be honest I'm unsure of the specs of the model you mentioned.

I'm a Les Paul fan and play one in a church worship team, but they're not for everyone. They have a thick neck and are pretty heavy. Not a huge drama when you're tall and weigh 120kg (260 pounds) but I can imagine it would be taxing on others.

Hope everything works out.
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Simple Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
ChristianRock_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
edit: not necessarily, nevermind.

a used Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified tele are the only ones I would buy. I own (well sort of) a Vintage Modified (I swapped pups, bridge, neck, everything - it isn't the same guitar anymore) but when i had it it was a decent guitar.

A guitar center near me (in Farmer's Branch, TX) has a Fender Modern Player telecaster for $279.99. It has a middle single coil, a neck single coil (for Lincoln Brewster) and a humbucker in the bridge for a fat arpeggio and rhythm tone.

I really recommend that.

Thanks for the advice. but the guitar after tax and shipping it's out of my budget range :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Jack
If you're going to be playing Skillet (great band) you prob want something with a humbucker in the bridge. PRS sounds like the way to go, altho to be honest I'm unsure of the specs of the model you mentioned.

I'm a Les Paul fan and play one in a church worship team, but they're not for everyone. They have a thick neck and are pretty heavy. Not a huge drama when you're tall and weigh 120kg (260 pounds) but I can imagine it would be taxing on others.

Hope everything works out.

Yeah, but I've seen people do pretty hard rock with a single coil tele.
I'm just worried that a guitar with a humbucker will sound too muddy
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
_ThePanda_
Noob of the year

I personally would go PRS SE (Whatever model you can find) -> Squier CV Tele -> Fender MiM Tele -> Squier VM Jazzmaster -> Squier VM Tele Custom -> Squier Standard Tele
_ThePanda_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: