Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
MaddMann274
Ridding sanity

Can ANYONE learn to sing?

I really want to learn how to sing, I am not naturally a good singer but I want to be able to at least provide backing (clean) vocals for a band. My inspiration is Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth.
I have trouble with getting my pitch right sometimes along with some other problems.
Any advice for me? Any videos on youtube that would help me?

and can ANYONE learn to sing?

Thanks,

Twitter
Reverbnation
MaddMann274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
ScytheZone

i never learned..
one day i just tried it
and i can sing
also scream

its crazy

just try it and yeah keep going!

Anyone can do anything. people are just hesitant to try it.
ScytheZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
ScytheZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMann274
I have trouble with getting my pitch right sometimes along with some other problems.

practice with ur fav songs

Check out "Zen of Screaming" by melissa cross i think it was
its a screaming instruction thing, but it actually helped me with cleans more than screams

Last edited by ScytheZone : 02-24-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Powersurge213

Sing along as much as possible. Just keep trying

I found that practise really helps and now I actually get told I have a pretty decent voice :S A couple of years ago I could barely sing, but because singing comes from muscles essentially, you can train them like any other muscle.

Make sense?
Powersurge213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Bair
UG Fanatic

I've always wondered this too. Anyone can learn the guitar in multiple different ways but if your vocal chords are shit and you're tone deaf...then are you outta luck?

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
ScytheZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bair
I've always wondered this too. Anyone can learn the guitar in multiple different ways but if your vocal chords are shit and you're tone deaf...then are you outta luck?

then u sing like Blaze Bayley

or get into punk.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
ScytheZone

****. i need to get a job.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
if your vocal chords are shit and you're tone deaf...then are you outta luck?
There's no such thing. "Shit vocal chords" is just a lack of technique. "Tone deafness" is just a lack of aural training. All of this can be learned.

TS, try to get lessons. There are ways to learn without a vocal instructor, but it makes it a lot easier.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Cheesepuff
i <3 you

Yes, as long as your vocal chords arent ****ed to the point you cant speak you can sing.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
JD.15

when in doubt shout
JD.15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
kindadumb

I've been through several different instructors over the past 16 years, have been praised for "going above and beyond in your efforts"...and have made absolutely no progress. I mean, yeah, I've gotten better at hitting notes, but my voice doesn't sound any better.

The way I see it, about 5-10% of us are going to be good no matter what, 5-10% of us (e.g. me) are going to suck no matter what, but you're probably in that 80-90% in the middle where the sound coming out of you depends on what you invest in yourself.
kindadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
jmako

Personally, I do think anyone can sing. Of course, there are still going to be varying degrees of proficiency. Being a 21st century american, there arent many places left that call for the masses to burst into song, but I think if you look at other cultures, past and present, you'll see places where singing (and even dancing too, for the people that think they cant dance) becomes almost ritualistic in practice during which everyone joins in. They all join in because they can all sing and they can all sing because they all have probably been doing it since they were kids. I might be walking a fine line here being an ignorant american; I'm not a cultural expert, it just seems to be the case in my experience that people in my culture "can't" do anything that doesnt come to them immediately because no one wants to spend the time working at things anymore. We've been afforded so many conveniences that when something doesnt come as naturally as rain we jump to the conclusion that it's not for us and find something that is. Now I'm rambling and idk if any of this will be helpful, but I think if you really want to sing you'll sing, and even if you're not the best, you'll find your niche through practice and be able to play to your strengths from there.
jmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

Vocals can be taught similarly to any other instrument. Some people are just naturally good at singing though, and they're the ones you tend to see most often, because people who believe they can't, don't try.

Anyway, in my experience sing as much as you can. I sing in a band and 3 months into it I started to get some vocal lessons, they help teach you about the importance of posture, resonance, etc. I auditioned for a musical (Quadrophenia - The World Premiere if anyone's in the North West UK it's definitely worth checking out ) got a main part. The practice has been incredibly intense for it, but the difference I can hear in my voice is incredible.
I listen back to live videos from the start of my band's career and cringe my face off. Now I listen to some of the more recent things I've done and I can actually bear it!

Just keep trying man, I'd say its definitely worth looking at a vocal teacher, if anything for 3-4 lessons to teach you the basics. Remember if you don't try, you can't succeed, and I'm a strong believe that singing can be taught and learnt.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Andalus
Bànned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity ninja
Vocals can be taught similarly to any other instrument. Some people are just naturally good at singing though, and they're the ones you tend to see most often, because people who believe they can't, don't try.

Anyway, in my experience sing as much as you can. I sing in a band and 3 months into it I started to get some vocal lessons, they help teach you about the importance of posture, resonance, etc. I auditioned for a musical (Quadrophenia - The World Premiere if anyone's in the North West UK it's definitely worth checking out ) got a main part. The practice has been incredibly intense for it, but the difference I can hear in my voice is incredible.
I listen back to live videos from the start of my band's career and cringe my face off. Now I listen to some of the more recent things I've done and I can actually bear it!

Just keep trying man, I'd say its definitely worth looking at a vocal teacher, if anything for 3-4 lessons to teach you the basics. Remember if you don't try, you can't succeed, and I'm a strong believe that singing can be taught and learnt.

Who do you play? Jimmy?
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

Jimmy's part is split into 4, himself, his tough persona, lunatic persona and romantic persona. I play the romantic one. Despite being hopeless with women irl.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

To get to grips with some nasal resonance, open your mouth so it's quite relaxed. Sing a note, but instead of pushing it out through your mouth, push your tongue back a bit and imagine the sound going into your head. It should have a kind of NNNNN quality to it, not sure how else to describe it. Almost bee-like.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doveri
Breathing: always breath from the upper abdominals and never anywhere else.
You may have the right meaning when you say this, but the way you worded it is confusing. Sure your diaphragm is in the upper abdomen, just below the lungs, but the important thing to know is that the ribs and shoulders should not expand outward. The diaphragm works vertically, so to utilize its full strength, you need to expand your lungs downward. This causes the abdomen to expand outward to make room for the diaphragm pulling downward. The full expanse of the abdomen should expand outward, not just the upper part.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #18
20Tigers

Quote:

If you're really tone deaf you're shit out of luck with any instrument.

Your vocal chords make pitches. You control them. Learning to control them with percision takes practice but barring some physical disability that prevents it yes anyone can learn to sing.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
Andalus
Bànned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity ninja
Jimmy's part is split into 4, himself, his tough persona, lunatic persona and romantic persona. I play the romantic one. Despite being hopeless with women irl.

Enjoy kissing the lovely birds then
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andalus
Enjoy kissing the lovely birds then

Haha, thanks very much! ;D

Rate This Thread: