Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
jordanlodge

acoustic guitar problem:bridge problem

first of all im not completly sure this is post is in the right section....sorry if it is not,ps im new to forum?
and sencondly i having problems with my acoustic guitar it is a ovation applause AE128..
Not bad of a guitar....your common low end electro acoustic guitar.
here the link:
[forbidden link]
The problem is the guitar sound is not clear.
I believe the problem is the bridge from the saddle,or it might be the nut.
but basicaly the G string is not clear and sounds muted.
I may need to purchase just an new bridge...
I have stripped it down and taken the strings off and tryed to see what the problems are.
from what i have seen the nut is fine, but the bridge has some heavy wear on the lower strings...is this the problem?
and what do you think the solution will be?
srry no pics
jordanlodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

the G string sounds muted when you play it open? i assume you mean that the "saddle" is heavily worn on the lower( really the higher) strings. should be a simple fix by replacing the saddle. where do you live and are there any humidity issues in your house? we are smack-dab in the middle of dry guitar season.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
Prescott_Player

I bought an AE128 about a year ago, and it sounded awful. Rather than try different strings I decided to just send it back for a refund. Maybe changing the strings would have worked, but I also didn't like how the round back made it keep slipping around on my lap...
Prescott_Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
jordanlodge

Yeah i moved the area where i store my guitar...from a cold conseverty to a insaluted room,
change in temp..
the saddle is an easy fix of about 4 pound i believe.
and i have to agree not alot of poeple do like the bowlback..there annoying to play stood up and you cannot lay back but are perfect for me with my skinny build and play mostly at home currently,and i do pefer the classic non bowlback...i like slope shoulder guitar such as epiphone aj's and blueridges..ps i cannot afford gibsons or martins
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Bikewer

I believe the Ovation series, even the cheap ones, use an under-saddle pickup with separate inputs for each string. Could be an electrical problem.
If the sound from that string is "muted", then either it's signal is weak or there's something mechanical going on.
Does the string sound the same as the others when played acoustically? If so, it's your electrics.
If not, it could be any number of things, most of which are easy to fix.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
jordanlodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
I believe the Ovation series, even the cheap ones, use an under-saddle pickup with separate inputs for each string. Could be an electrical problem.
If the sound from that string is "muted", then either it's signal is weak or there's something mechanical going on.
Does the string sound the same as the others when played acoustically? If so, it's your electrics.
If not, it could be any number of things, most of which are easy to fix.

the electrics are fine...but it is the sound when played without the preamp and pickup,the string barely makes any sound compared to other strings....this mabye an 30 min fix job with 5 pound on a saddle

Rate This Thread: