Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Tab Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Wolfsblood138
Dude
 
Wolfsblood138's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Copyrights

I've noticed that Bob Seger's night moves powertab (as well as others) was(or were) removed due to copyright claim. All I can say is that is such a load of BS. Nobody is posting the actual music recordings or videos of the recordings or trying to make money off of the recordings. No one here is claiming that a Segar song is their own work. Downloading tabs to learn to play a song is not infringing copyright. People are giving credit to Segar (by name) when giving us the tab, so wtf? These copyright people can go suck a big one and quit being a bunch of queers.
__________________
We Are 138!

lol

I want:
Fender Strat, Fender P Bass, Ibanez Iceman, Bass amp and either a Mesa or Marshall guitar amp
Wolfsblood138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
flaphead325
Sr Bartolomew Shredman IV
 
flaphead325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Paris, France


I couldn't agree more!
Plus it's unproductive, playing artists music obviously makes you like them!
__________________
mah band

gear: orange or15, Gibson explorer, digitech bad monkey, little big muff, boss megadistortion, behringer ultra shifter, and Dunlop (gigaextra) ultex picks.
flaphead325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge
 
KG6_Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Neither here nor there.
Unfortunately, it comes down to the fact that someone wrote that song. Since they wrote it, they can claim copyright infringement, which is nothing more than "I want to be paid for your use of my written work."

Is it balogna? More than likely, it is. Will anyone get rich off of learning a tab that you or I post on UG? Probably not. The fact is, most of those tabs are wrong. Is it going to hurt anything or anybody having that tab posted on UG? Well, the legitimate music sheet service sites could claim they are losing out on sales, which goes back to what I said at the start - the loss of that sale hurts the copyright holder, who isn't receiving his royalty check.

Greed.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
flaphead325
Sr Bartolomew Shredman IV
 
flaphead325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Well, the legitimate music sheet service sites could claim they are losing out on sales, which goes back to what I said at the start - the loss of that sale hurts the copyright holder, who isn't receiving his royalty check.

Greed.


Your logic is right.

On the other hand I might seem a bit too liberal (which i'm not), but it's maybe time to adapt to technological transition, some jobs will disappear, some others will be created... And then the copyright holder will get his money.

Tab books are a real rip off anyway, 20 euros for a tab book... come on...
__________________
mah band

gear: orange or15, Gibson explorer, digitech bad monkey, little big muff, boss megadistortion, behringer ultra shifter, and Dunlop (gigaextra) ultex picks.

Last edited by flaphead325 : 04-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
flaphead325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
dinley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Tab books are incorrect sometimes too. I sold all mine for beer $ recently.
dinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
shreddymcshred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Tabs provide a free alternative to licensed products which the copyright owners have the exclusive right to license.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
jetwash69
Registered User
 
jetwash69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinley
Tab books are incorrect sometimes too. I sold all mine for beer $ recently.


That's as bad as stealing!!! Now someone else gets the copyright holder's work without the copyright holder benefiting. And you profit from it. That's worse than illegally downloading an MP3!

(sarcastic)

(nevermind that you almost certainly took a loss on those books...but still!) (sarcastic)
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge
 
KG6_Steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Neither here nor there.
What's even worse, is if you perform the song in public, you're supposed to pay the copyright holder a fee. How many bands play covers, but never pay the copyright holders?

I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with copyright holders enforcing their "rights" on tabs and chord charts submitted to sites, like UG, by musicians who've done their own work. If I submit something I have worked out on my own and it's not accurate to how the artist played it, or it was written, they should leave it alone.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
 
GuitarMunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: on your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
What's even worse, is if you perform the song in public, you're supposed to pay the copyright holder a fee. How many bands play covers, but never pay the copyright holders?

I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with copyright holders enforcing their "rights" on tabs and chord charts submitted to sites, like UG, by musicians who've done their own work. If I submit something I have worked out on my own and it's not accurate to how the artist played it, or it was written, they should leave it alone.


Well, it's their right to leave it alone or not. You always have to remember that before putting time into making a tab for someone else's music.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while the person submitting the tab isn't making any money.... UG is, and by providing a place that displays thousands of copyrighted works in tabs, UG does take money out of the pockets of the actual copyright owners. They know it... that's why it's located in Russia, to avoid litigation.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 04-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
jetwash69
Registered User
 
jetwash69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
Well, it's their right to leave it alone or not. You always have to remember that before putting time into making a tab for someone else's music.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while the person submitting the tab isn't making any money.... UG is, and by providing a place that displays thousands of copyrighted works in tabs, UG does take money out of the pockets of the actual copyright owners. They know it... that's why it's located in Russia, to avoid litigation.


If the copyright owners would include GP6 files with full instrumentation available for everything on UG, then they might have a case. But they've only chosen to do that for a tiny fraction of what's on UG.

At any rate, I'm confident that they benefit a lot more from people covering the songs and generating interest for the original bands. I've spent hundreds, if not thousands on CDs and concerts on bands I never would have heard of if not for UG, or from hearing local bands cover stuff.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
QPC_Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I'm subscribed to the Rory Gallagher TAB page. I was just informed that there is a new Rory Gallagher TAB! Great!

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/r..._guitar_pro.htm

Quote:
The material that was posted to this page was removed from the site. Ultimate Guitar received a takedown notice from the copyright owner claiming that the user submission was an infringement of their rights. In compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act we have removed the submission as requested by the owners.


Well, that was quick.
The site must automatically remove some TABs from certain bands. But then why bother to approve them in the first place?
QPC_Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Wolfsblood138
Dude
 
Wolfsblood138's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
What's even worse, is if you perform the song in public, you're supposed to pay the copyright holder a fee. How many bands play covers, but never pay the copyright holders?

I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with copyright holders enforcing their "rights" on tabs and chord charts submitted to sites, like UG, by musicians who've done their own work. If I submit something I have worked out on my own and it's not accurate to how the artist played it, or it was written, they should leave it alone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
If the copyright owners would include GP6 files with full instrumentation available for everything on UG, then they might have a case. But they've only chosen to do that for a tiny fraction of what's on UG.

At any rate, I'm confident that they benefit a lot more from people covering the songs and generating interest for the original bands. I've spent hundreds, if not thousands on CDs and concerts on bands I never would have heard of if not for UG, or from hearing local bands cover stuff.


You've pointed it out perfectly Steven. In addition to this, the fact that many tab books are also incorrect and some can be expensive because they claim to be official and correctly transcribed there are some notable mistakes in some which makes people opt for the free online alternatives. In fact we should be able to sue them for false advertising. Plus programs like powertab/guitar pro etc actually show you how its played by playing the song or the bar(s) of the section of your choice. And from there you can evaluate if its the right tab before you even learn it or if you gotta get a little better before you attempt playing it. Jetwash also makes another valid point. It allows music to get exposure it needs. All we get on the radio or tv (for the most part) is mainstream generic rock (boring) and rnb/pop, or rap music. What about some classics from the late 60's, the 70's, the 80's? Let younger folks get exposure to older music without having to subscribe to a specialty tv network, or let newer bands who have talent and will never land a big corporate record deal get some exposure so people go see their shows.
__________________
We Are 138!

lol

I want:
Fender Strat, Fender P Bass, Ibanez Iceman, Bass amp and either a Mesa or Marshall guitar amp

Last edited by Wolfsblood138 : 04-12-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Wolfsblood138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
QPC_Sam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Just got notified that two more Rory Gallagher tabs have been approved. I was expecting that they, too, would be blocked for copyright reasons, but they're not! Neither is the one I linked above.

Something's changed.
__________________
Learning a new cover song? Feel like recording it? And have people listen to it? See the CATPM thread in the Pit. Here's the user group
QPC_Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.