Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
redd9

Can I Learn Sweeping And Tapping On Acoustic?

can I learn the technique for these on acoustic? btw have you heard this vid? he's the best guitarist ever IMO.

[forbidden link]

ty for reading
peace
redd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

you can tap, and sweep on a variety of instruments such as electric, acoustic, bass...whatever.

especially tapping on acoustic.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
redd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltTheWerewolf
you can tap, and sweep on a variety of instruments such as electric, acoustic, bass...whatever.

especially tapping on acoustic.

interesting, thanx u pal...

btw, any good sources for learning this tech?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I can't really think of anyone who applies sweeping to acoustic and makes it sound good. So i personally am gonna say you can sweep on acoustic but it's not gonna sound all that good.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
redd9

yeah but can you effectively learn the technique of sweeping? regardless of how it sounds? (but obviously it has to be clear that ur doing it right or no point right?)
Old 02-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Of course you can actually play the technique on acoustic. If you can play it on electric you should be ale to play it on acoustic.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
Mind_Reader7

I'd say there's 2 parts to this.

It's going to be harder to play it on acoustic. Without high gain etc, you have to hit the frets pretty hard to get the same kind of attack you would get from a pick. At the same time though, if you learn it well on acoustic, it will be an easier learning process for electric.

The second part being, with a high gain set up, sweeping/tapping sounds terrible if you haven't learned to mute the strings. So although it sounds clean unplugged, once you're running it with distortion, it will sound terrible if your technique isn't great.

Cleaning up your technique should be easy if you already have the technique mastered on acoustic.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Tapping, yes.

Sweeping will rarely sound well, acoustic guitar playing is more velocity-dynamic compared to the electric. The sweeping motion isn't all that well balanced to land an equal hit on every single string which is why some notes will sound louder and some softer.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

Tapping can definitely be done on acoustic but it's not as widely embraced a technique as it is on the electric guitar and relatively few people are really prolific at it

The application is usually a bit different too: you don't usually hear anyone play Eruption-like licks. When people tap on an acoustic they usually go for a Stanley Jordan-like approach: multi-string hammer ons with the barre-finger in order to bring out the chords, lots of open tunings, capo's, letting open strings ring out.

Dunno if it's a cultural-thing (most speedfreaks don't play acoustic in the first place), if there's a more technical explanation (it's harder to go Petrucci without a bit of gain and amplification, so most people will instead focus on purity of tone in order to bring out the unique sonic qualities of an acoustic) or maybe it just has something to do with the fact a lot of these guys are bedroom rockstars which means it's more fun to play rhythmically and accentuate the harmonies and whatnot whereas in a band situation you can often just focus on the leads. I'd say it's a bit o' all of the above but whatever the reason: I love the sounds people come up with and should probably get off my arse and try to tackle some of it

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
shwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
bondmorkret

Yes of course, I've got lots of students who bring acoustic guitars to lessons (to avoid having to bring an amp presumably) and we still do sweep and tap exercises during their lessons.

Granted these techniques are sometimes easier on an electric (because of the action), but there's no reason why you can't!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmorkret
Yes of course, I've got lots of students who bring acoustic guitars to lessons (to avoid having to bring an amp presumably) and we still do sweep and tap exercises during their lessons.

Granted these techniques are sometimes easier on an electric (because of the action), but there's no reason why you can't!

It's not an ideal way to learn sweeping technique because it's not training the right muscle memory really, you can learn it, but it's not very productive to practice it as you have to press to hard etc. Learn on a well set up electric.

And if you give lessons...you should have an amp for the students unless you only teach acoustic
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #12
RyanStorm13

I think tapping is easier with my Acoustic....cause the pickups(in my acoustic/electric) take any vibrations from the body. So if your plugged in, you can tap anywhere and it picks up great. I find tapping very fun with the acoustic. Maybe cause the strings are tight but on my ibanez its funner cause the action is super low and doesn't take any effort to tap.

For sweep picking, I don't like to do it on my acoustic especially when plugged in and/or mic'd, cause I think the strings are strung tight and I just prefer the electric strings.

I tend to use my acoustic from strumming and finger picking. Mostly everything else is done on my electrics.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
chainsawguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd9
can I learn the technique for these on acoustic?

Yes.

[/thread]

...but seriously...

Sure, it's a bit more difficult on an acoustic, but the key to sweep picking is actually in the timing and co-ordination between both hands.

Yes, acoustic action tends to be higher, and the strings thicker, but if you can play acoustic already (and your fingers are used to it) this shouldn't pose too much of a problem, as you've already built up the strength you need to stop the strings.

I wouldn't recommend practising it only on acoustic, however. Just like with anything, it's going to feel different on different guitars with different string gauges and different set-ups.

You can also learn the basic technique on a super low action/light string guitar, but it'll be more difficult to transfer those skills to anything heavier. I sweep on my acoustic all the time- it's much more about the technique than the strength.

Rate This Thread: