Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
DeadTreeGuitars

Dead Tree Guitars Intro

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to show some of my work. I am guitar builder out of Cleveland, Ohio. I tried to find a moderator to ask if it was ok to post this, but I couldn't get a response so..

Here is my facebook link [forbidden link] I am working on building my main website as we speak. Hopefully, I can get it all squared away soon. My company name is Dead Tree Guitars.

Here is a picture of some of my guitars I made. If you like what you see please check out my page. I am working on finishing up binding a wenge fan fret wedge today. Once I get it all finished I will post some pictures of the body. Thank you for stopping by.
DeadTreeGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Nifty!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
rotoball95

That actually looks really nice. What wood is the top made of on those?
rotoball95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
DeadTreeGuitars

Thank you!!! The top one is western red cedar and the bottom one is Lutz spruce. I made these two from the same cocobolo billet for the back and sides. I used the same fingerboard wood and bridge wood. I also used the same wood for the bridge patch. I tried to make these two as close as I could except for the top wood. I wanted to learn more about the tonal qualities of cedar vs spruce.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Cocobolo? Damn, starting off on the black diamond slopes, aren't we?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
DeadTreeGuitars

Pshhh I used Brazilian rosewood for my first guitar. The picture above was my 8th guitar I built. I am currently building number 9 and number 10.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
mrmojorisin420

nice rosettes
mrmojorisin420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
dannyalcatraz

I was thinking of the health issues & oiliness associated with working with cocobolo.

For those like myself who just don't do Facebook, what kind of price are you asking? Or, if you wish to remain coy, when will your site be operational?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-26-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
DeadTreeGuitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I was thinking of the health issues & oiliness associated with working with cocobolo.

For those like myself who just don't do Facebook, what kind of price are you asking? Or, if you wish to remain coy, when will your site be operational?

Ahhh I see now.... I know a lot of people who talk about the hazards of cocobolo, but I have never had any issues. I sometimes wonder about how often people actually react to cocobolo. I have had an issue working with snakewood, but it just made my nose run when cutting it.

My pricing depends on a lot of things, but I have a base price of 1400$ for an acoustic. This includes, florentine cut away, wood binding and mitered purfling, your choice of a base back and sides (wenge, cocobolo, maple, and indian rosewood) You would have a choice of a lutz spruce top or western red cedar top. The rosette would be designed by me selected by you(you can help design it if you would like to). I normally don't make the same rosette twice so yours would be unique. I would do a 3 piece neck with 2 carbon fiber reinforcements and 2 way truss rod. Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. There are lots of options and upgrades. Some of the materials can be changed outside of the base back and sides/neck/top with something else without an upcharge. This would depends on the desired species you wanted. You can email me at info @deadtreeguitars .com

I am not sure when the site will be up. I am building it myself and it is taking a little longer than I would like.

Rob
Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Sounds like a more than reasonable price for what I'm seeing...hope you include soundclips on your website!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
DeadTreeGuitars

As promised here are some pictures of the body I just finished binding. This guitar is going to be fan fret wedge with a bevel. The back and sides are wenge. The top is Lutz spruce. The binding is macassar ebony with a black, holly, black purfling scheme. Sorry if some of the pictures are grainy. I took the pictures with my iphone. I did my best to edit it out. Thanks for looking!!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Yeah...when I get around to buying another acoustic, I'm going to have to look you up...

Old 03-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #13
dannyalcatraz

I was just looking more closely at your work- are you using semi-precious stone in some of your designs? Or are those bits of dyed wood?

Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
stepchildusmc

those are going to be beautiful ! definitely Pm me here when you get your site up and running or when you get that spruce one finished.
if i didn't just lay out 1k toward another Taylor last night, i'd be calling you. too bad i didnt see this last week, i'da stopped by your shop after visiting in columbus.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #15
DeadTreeGuitars

Danny, good eye there. Those are burl pieces impregnated with blue dye. I spent a bunch of time coming up with a process where I could get the color I wanted with out it leaching out with finish. I am very happy with the results. I am also confident that I could achieve many other colors, which opens up my possibilities for color schemes. I want to be able to add personal features to my guitars with out being too overt. For example, the blue was used since it is the buyers favorite color. Granted color is not the buyers name on the guitar but I rarely see that type of inlay done very tastefully. I prefer to give subtle character to personalize the guitars for someone.

Stepchildusmc, will do! Timing is not always my best attribute. Hopefully I will get to build you something someday.

-Rob-
Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #16
dannyalcatraz

Put me on that mailing list as well.

As for subtlety, I like it, and i do like the restrained approach you've taken with those embellishments. There's just enough color to catch the eye without being a distraction.

However, artist-to-artist, your style has an echo of artists like Piet Mondrian, Patrick Nagel, and even the crop-circle hoaxers. Down the road, you might want to try your hand at guitars embellished with pallettes and forms that are more direct homages to them. Mondrian- a mix of bold primary colors; Nagel- whites, reds, burgundies and neon blues. And the crop circles...well...demand circles!

And as you well know, inspiration can come from anywhere. Years ago, I designed a garnet pendant in silver with gold accents. The overall design was a deconstruction of the window seen behind The Emperor in Return of the Jedi.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-05-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
DeadTreeGuitars

I finally got my website made and up!!! It is www.DeadTreeGuitars.com Please check it out and tell me what you think. I also got some custom embroidered flexfit hats made. They have the Dead Tree Guitars logo embroidered on the front of the hat and Dead Tree Guitars (in text) embroidered on the back. I have them available on Etsy and on my website. Please check those out if hats are your thing. I got sick of trying to find hats that I like so I decided just to make my own. I also will have the guitars posted earlier in this thread buffed out this weekend and ready to go around the middle of July. I already have someone buying one of them but the other is still available.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
ccannon1
Band Geek

Bloody gorgeous guitars man.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
tuxs

Cool site. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
Dr Brodsky
Banned

Don't like them, the rosettes are weird and it looks messy. All those strange edges and pointy bits. They look like 1960's French urban tower blocks. I'm not saying you are a bad guitar maker just a little misguided. You would be better making crop circles in fields. Do people really pay for your work!
Dr Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: