Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #21
socalguitar

there is a definite give and take with EMGs. I do need to eq a little bit with the guitars that have EMGs in them but i find when i'm playing dropped tuning and doing fast low end stuff, the EMGs really shine. All the passive pickups i have are too muddy. With EMGs i can hear every note very clearly even with tons of overdrive. Now, with that said, i love to play hard rock and bluesy stuff with the passive pickups. I really like the warm sound of a good quality pickup. So, i guess i'm luck enough to have a few guitars with different pickups in them for different styles that i want to play. Or i just haven't found the pickup that can do it all. It seems to me that all this stuff is just trial and error and what fits your ears.
socalguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #22
BoneAndDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalguitar
there is a definite give and take with EMGs. I do need to eq a little bit with the guitars that have EMGs in them but i find when i'm playing dropped tuning and doing fast low end stuff, the EMGs really shine. All the passive pickups i have are too muddy. With EMGs i can hear every note very clearly even with tons of overdrive. Now, with that said, i love to play hard rock and bluesy stuff with the passive pickups. I really like the warm sound of a good quality pickup. So, i guess i'm luck enough to have a few guitars with different pickups in them for different styles that i want to play. Or i just haven't found the pickup that can do it all. It seems to me that all this stuff is just trial and error and what fits your ears.

exactly. different pickups are for different things

if you're an 00ber br00tal metal guy like i am chances are you'll like EMGs for the clarity and tightness it gives under a lot of gain.

if i played a lot of clean and low gain stuff, i would probably be using passives

it really comes down to what you want to play.
BoneAndDream is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: