Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

What would be a good gigging amp?

Alright, here's the deal.

I got myself a Mark V head last summer (Absolutely LOVE it!) and we all know how expensive the amp is, and of course, the type of tone that it can produce.

My band, once we get new members in the fold, we're planning on doing gigs soon, and as much as I would love to take the Mark V out, I'm afraid that it's far too expensive of an amp for me to risk taking it out for gigs and such.

Now, before you dish me out for this, I have many reasons as to why I'm hesitant, but the main reason would be that there have been many occurrences where people lately have been getting their gear stolen. This has happened a few times at what seems to be the most popular local venue in my state, for example, and I guarantee we'll be playing there at some point, along with many others in the state.

The worst thing that could ever happen is that my Mark V could get stolen, and I would be devastated if that were to ever occur, because I saved my hard earned cash for it, working many hours over the summer and it holds sentimental value to me.

I know some of you may think I'm being a big baby about it, and I've heard that the Mark V is very reliable and is built like a tank, and I believe it's both of those things, It's just the fear of getting it stolen by some jackass who doesn't even know how to work the damn thing to get a good tone is what I'm worried about.

So, long story short, I need a head to replace my Mark V head for gigging so that I can keep the Mesa at home and nice, and also for recording purposes and such. I've been looking at different amp companies like Peavey, Marshall, possibly another Mesa (Which would be really sweet), and some others.

Preferably Used, anywhere from 600-1000 bucks, Tube, and is known to be reliable. I play Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Hardcore Punk, Blues, and Progressive Metal.

Any help would be much appreciated, if you guys need more info, just let me know
madmax33096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Deadpool_25

Put the Mark V on your insurance policy.

Or you could get a Dual Rec head of some flavor for inside or close to your budget? JSX or 6505. Marshall 410HJS maybe. Used EVH 5150. Etc...all used of course...actually a 5150 50W is in your budget new, the 100W you'd need used.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 02-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool_25
Put the Mark V on your insurance policy.

Or you could get a Dual Rec head of some flavor for inside or close to your budget? JSX or 6505. Marshall 410HJS maybe. Used EVH 5150. Etc...all used of course...actually a 5150 50W is in your budget new, the 100W you'd need used.

I saw an EVH 5150III Mini on Ebay the other day going for like 700 something, but it had a ton of bids on it.

Back in the summer when I was amp hunting, I remember, it was literally a coin toss between the Mark V, and the 5150III, but then I decided to pull the trigger on the Mesa, and I'm definitely more than satisfied with it, but it would be cool to own both.

The JSX really interested me, but I'd have to go try one out in person. I like the 6505, but I'd prefer to go the 5150 route. They sound just a tad better to my ears, even though some claim there isn't a difference at all.

As far as Marshall goes, I've looked at the DSL's and possibly a JCM900. A JCM800 would be REALLY killer, but it will be very rare to find those under a grand.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
souperman08

JSX. Gah, I don't even need another amp and I want to buy one of those after hearing all the chatter on it around here lately.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Deadpool_25

I have a 5150 III mini on order from MF. Asked for a discount and they gave it to me for $850. No tax, free shipping.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

Used Mesa Mark III/IV head
There is a Mark III head for $999 on GC used site. You see Mark IV head sor $1000ish from time to time.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Used Mesa Mark III/IV head
There is a Mark III head for $999 on GC used site. You see Mark IV head sor $1000ish from time to time.

Would you mind sparing the link?

EDIT: Does it happen to be the one that I saw where it had white tolex?

Last edited by madmax33096 : 02-26-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
souperman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax33096

Possibly this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...542-i2984242.gc
Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:

EDIT: Does it happen to be the one that I saw where it had white tolex?

Yeah it has the white tolex and it is $899
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
almudjk

Have you ever considered a combo amp? Like a Roland Cube or a Marshall 100 watt?
almudjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Offworld92
One among the fence.

JSX is pretty good for versatility. As cliche as it is now, might also want to look at the Vypyr Tube. Awesome backup/practice amp for cheap (I got mine used for $350).

The 5150 III sounds really really good but I don't think it's as good for as wide a range of stuff as the JSX is. Though it does do heavy modern gain better.

Maybe also look into a Marshall TSL.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by almudjk
Have you ever considered a combo amp? Like a Roland Cube or a Marshall 100 watt?

Combo amps would be cool, but I'm mainly specifically looking for a head.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
JSX is pretty good for versatility. As cliche as it is now, might also want to look at the Vypyr Tube. Awesome backup/practice amp for cheap (I got mine used for $350).

The 5150 III sounds really really good but I don't think it's as good for as wide a range of stuff as the JSX is. Though it does do heavy modern gain better.

I'm not so sure, Offworld. The EVH might be even more versatile. With their cleans, both can do jazzy stuff pretty well and they can both do pretty much any rock genre. The EVH can maybe pull off blues a little better with the gain control on the clean channel.

However, it could be argued that the with a single pedal they're even closer--an OD can let the JSX do blues better and the EVH is missing a reverb so you'd need a pedal for that. Either way though, both seem outstandingly versatile.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
I'm not so sure, Offworld. The EVH might be even more versatile. With their cleans, both can do jazzy stuff pretty well and they can both do pretty much any rock genre. The EVH can maybe pull off blues a little better with the gain control on the clean channel.

However, it could be argued that the with a single pedal they're even closer--an OD can let the JSX do blues better and the EVH is missing a reverb so you'd need a pedal for that. Either way though, both seem outstandingly versatile.

As this Thread is going, I have it narrowed down to 3.

EVH 5150III Mini, Peavey JSX, and the Mesa Mark III.

Still considering a 5150 too, but the above 3 are the ones that have stuck out to me so far.

Last edited by madmax33096 : 02-26-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Just wanted to point out that the 5150 and 6505 are the same amp, the only difference is the logo and maybe the stock tubes it shipped with. +1 for the JSX though

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
ikey_

i think they being a bit if a baby, a mark V is literally the worlds best gigging amp maybe.

how is it going to get stolen unless you play at a legit venue and your not on, so your amp is sitting in the back.

ive never seen an amp stolen hooked up on stage.....cause everybody in the bar would watch it happen / hear the chords come out....not to mention its damn near impossible to run our the door with a 40-60 pound object.

little things get stolen between sets, or backstage if there is a backstage. if your talking bars, i think your golden.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
i think they being a bit if a baby, a mark V is literally the worlds best gigging amp maybe.

how is it going to get stolen unless you play at a legit venue and your not on, so your amp is sitting in the back.

ive never seen an amp stolen hooked up on stage.....cause everybody in the bar would watch it happen / hear the chords come out....not to mention its damn near impossible to run our the door with a 40-60 pound object.

little things get stolen between sets, or backstage if there is a backstage. if your talking bars, i think your golden.

I'm talking gear, which means pretty much anything. This particular venue I'm talking about has rules to where before the show starts, and this is before the whole concert, you have to have all your gear set-up on stage and you have to let it stay on the stage until you're done with your set.

It's kinda hard to explain, because I've heard a million things from a million different people. The point is, that this particular venue makes it easy for someone to come and steal equipment. And I've noticed it's frequently only happened at this particular venue.

It's an all ages place, so no bar, but it's an extremely popular local venue and it's been there for close to 30 years.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
Just wanted to point out that the 5150 and 6505 are the same amp, the only difference is the logo and maybe the stock tubes it shipped with. +1 for the JSX though

We've been discussing the EVH 5150 III, which is not at all the same as the original Peavey 5150/6505 models.

Oh...didn't see the last comment by the TS about the older 5150, so nm.

Quote:
As this Thread is going, I have it narrowed down to 3.

EVH 5150III Mini, Peavey JSX, and the Mesa Mark III.

Still considering a 5150 too, but the above 3 are the ones that have stuck out to me so far.

and...

Quote:
Alright, here's the deal.
I play Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Hardcore Punk, Blues, and Progressive Metal.

What kind of blues and what kind of prog? That will affect what you need for cleans. Do you want/need similar cleans to the Mark V? I was kind of assuming you did, but if that's not the case...
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Last edited by Deadpool_25 : 02-26-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
ikey_

yep - classic music venue. that way its 10x faster to setup / breakdown between sets. so i see. no bar band.

well, obviously when somebody is on playing its safe.

in this type of venue, there is generally a backstage isnt there? why not just go chill back there after a set, smoke a cig or talk, and fake it while your actually watching the door to make sure nobody steals your stuff.

what i would do. ir chill out back in the parking lot or sumthin. clearly nobodys stealing it out the front through the crowds and bouncers....
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #20
madmax33096
Eltitnikufesin

Quote:
We've been discussing the EVH 5150 III, which is not at all the same as the original Peavey 5150/6505 models.

Oh...didn't see the last comment by the TS about the older 5150, so nm.

and...

What kind of blues and what kind of prog? That will affect what you need for cleans. Do you want/need similar cleans to the Mark V? I was kind of assuming you did, but if that's not the case...

Well, Blues isn't necessarily my main genre, but it is a nuance of my playing, and I grew up on the stuff, so that's why I included it.

As far as Prog goes, I like band's like Dream Theater (Obvious one because of the amp I bought ), Rush, Symphony X, Progressive Thrash and Death bands like Toxik, Watch Tower, Deathrow, Early Megadeth, 90's Death, Atheist, Cynic, stuff like that.

And yes, cleans that are similar to the Mark V would be excellent.

Rate This Thread: